General Discussion Race Reports! » Honolulu Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Honolulu Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Honolulu, Hawaii
United States
Honolulu Triathlon
Total Time = 2h 46m 21s
Overall Rank = 368/833
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 11/29
Pre-race routine:

Second attempt at Olympic distance. Goal was to get under 3 hours.
Swim
  • 31m 5s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Second attempt at the Olympic distance triathlon. Beach start, salt water swim, counter clockwise, out and back. A lot of contact in the beginning. Was the roughest start I've experienced so far, but I think it was good practice. Felt really good for the swim and knocked over 2 minutes off my time from my Olympic race last year. I was pleased when I got out of the water, and thirsty. Not a big fan of salt water.
What would you do differently?:

Become a better swimmer? This was a good day for me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

No wetsuit to take off, so I ran and passed a lot of people heading into T1. What likely slowed me down was trying to get sand and stuff off my feet and putting on my gloves.

Get a tri bike so I don't have to wear gloves!
Bike
  • 1h 19m 16s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.81 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike started out well, but I was being passed. A LOT. And I was doing 20mph. So I was a little depressed, but they were mostly guys with fancy bikes and race wheels, so I didn't feel too bad. I was wondering if I was starting out too quick, but I figured I'd make hay while the sun was shining and went with it. Kept a pace between 18-20mph until the turn around at Lagoon Drive, then hit a wall of wind and was sad I didn't have aerobars. Made it up and down the small hills pretty well and then headed back into town. Still kept it around 17-18mph on the way back and was wondering if I had screwed my run, my legs still felt pretty good, and I was stoked each time I checked my watch as I really wanted to get under 3 hours and this bike got me in around 1:54 mark. I was pleased.

Get a tri bike? I felt good and put a lot of effort into the bike. I'm happy with it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Hadn't practiced leaving the shoes in the pedals in awhile and there was so much junk on the ground I decided to run with them in. Good idea, kept me from getting more crap on my socks. Took me a little longer than normal in here since they encouraged us to be green and carry our own water, so I had to put on the race belt and visor while standing there instead of just grabbing and running.

Nothing - I liked being able to drink on my schedule.
Run
  • 51m 52s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Nice, I didn't know I kept that decent of a pace! Lots of loops in the course, so it was spectator friendly, but a little demoralizing. Passed a lot of people - I love being a runner - and kept playing leap frog with this one guy in a truly hideous kit. It got warm out there, but I appreciated the shade when it was available and the run seemed to go by quickly except for the last mile - the twists and turns in there were more than I expected and it stretched on far longer than I was anticipating. Oh, and I beat the guy with the ugly kit. :)

8:35 pace after all of that, I'm happy. Now if I can just replicate that pace for a marathon...
Post race
Warm down:

Went and sat in the ocean. HEAVEN! I could have stayed there all day, but I figured I was pushing my sunscreen. And I think I ate spam. I'm not sure.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall fitness? I'm happy with the race.

Event comments:

So my goal was to improve on my Olympic time last year of 3:08:11. I really wanted to get under 3 hours. I CRUSHED it! 2:46:21. I'm still so happy. Granted last year was Quassy and the hills killed me there, however, not having an off season this winter really helped my bike. I think I'll go smile some more. :)

Last updated: 2012-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:05 | 1640 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 0/833
Performance:
Suit: None
Course: Out and back
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:46
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:19:16 | 24.85 miles | 18.81 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:51:52 | 06.21 miles | 08m 21s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-05-21 12:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia
Subject: Honolulu Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-05-21 12:28 AM
in reply to: #4219791

User image

Subject: RE: Honolulu Triathlon - Olympic Course
Great job, and if you ate that little rice ball in the saran wrap, then yes, you ate SPAM.  Isn't it delicious?  AKA a spam musubi.  Musubi being a Japanese term for rice wrapped in Nori (dried seaweed).  Good stuff.
2012-05-21 6:47 AM
in reply to: #4219791

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Subject: RE: Honolulu Triathlon - Olympic Course
Yummy SPAM. Haha. Good job. Very jealous you are in Hawaii.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Honolulu Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed