United States
79F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 22s
Overall Rank = 91/129
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:15. Made oatmeal with dried cherries. Ate about 2/3 of it at home with coffee, and had the rest on the drive to the race. I had packed the car the night before, so all I had to do was get myself ready. Left the house at about 6:05am. Arrived at the race site at 7:10am.
Event warmup:

Picked up packet, set up my transition area, had my age marked on my leg, went for a 20 min bike ride, and ate a banana. I had plenty of time, so it was a nice relaxed way to start the day. I visited with a lot of people from my triathlon team. This was very different than my first race last year when I didn't have a clue what I was doing, let alone know anyone else.
Swim
  • 08m 8s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

I didn't have any anxiety and felt pretty comfortable in the beginning, but at about 250-300yds, I was just winded. I did the breast stroke a few times and just slowed down a little to try to get my breathing under control. This was my first open water swim of the season, and between the wetsuit restricting my arms a bit and the added effort of sighting, I was working hard.
What would you do differently?:

nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

There was an incline right where we mounted our bikes. I didn't get clipped in on the first attempt, veered off into the grass, and had to step down, regroup and try again. Luckily, I didn't fall.

I might jog up the hill with the bike next time and mount at the top.
Bike
  • 37m 57s
  • 11 miles
  • 17.39 mile/hr
Comments:

The women's swim wave started before the men's, so there were a lot of men passing me on this course. One guy passed me like we were racing a crit. It seemed like he was only about 6 in. to my left. Aren't you supposed to let someone know when you are passing, for both safety and out of courtesy? Not a single guy said "passing" or "on your left". Jerks.

More saddle time
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

This transition seemed to go really quickly. I did slip socks on because I had not tested these shoes barefoot.

Maybe I need to learn to get my feet out of my shoes on the bike, but I'm not really sure it would save enough time.
Run
  • 30m 45s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

My calves felt like they were going to start cramping up right away, so I stepped off the sidewalk and stretched them. This was really frustrating, but well worth the time. I didn't have any cramps develop the rest of the run. I did walk some on this run. It was getting really hot by this point, and my legs just felt shot.

Need to be doing more training and more bricks. I have backed off my running a lot since my Ultra-Month of April. I'm trying to recover from some issues with my feet. I wouldn't call it a horrible run, but it certainly could have gone better. Overall, I'm not disappointed and it's always nice to know where you have room for improvement.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked out to cheer on some others from my tri team

What limited your ability to perform faster:

mental toughness on the run.

Event comments:

This was a very small race in it's 4th year. Great volunteers, beautiful campus, and just an overall great way to spend my birthday.

Last updated: 2012-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:08 | 500 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 83/129
Performance: Good
Suit: yes
Course: They shuttled us around to the opposite side of the lake for the start. It was basically an L-shape. Sight toward a pontoon boat, go around it and then site toward two big orange buoys at the finish. Had to climb one of three ladders at the dock to exit the water. This was a little tricky. The first step on the ladder was about chest high!! My arms were a little rubbery. Sun was not an issue. Sighting was very easy.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:37:57 | 11 miles | 17.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 83/129
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: I liked this bike course. There were a lot of turns and the pavement was VERY rough. I think a have a couple loose teeth (haha).
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:45 | 03.1 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 97/129
Performance: Below average
Course: Out on a wide sidewalk/paved path, then the road. Turn around point was around 1.3 miles. On the way back, we took a loop out and around the soccer field, and then back on the road again.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-21 6:21 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Subject: Tri Ancilla

2012-05-21 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4219880

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
Subject: RE: Tri Ancilla
Fantastic race, Jayne!  You'll be on that podium soon!
2012-05-21 9:47 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago
Awesome swim time, Jayne!
2012-05-21 10:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
You've come a long way in a short time.  Congrats on another great race!
2012-05-21 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio
Great job Jayne!!!  Congrats!!! 
2012-05-21 3:42 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
nice race Jayne.  Great swim!!

2012-05-21 9:27 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa

Excellent race Jayne!

Should be a great season for you!

2012-05-22 9:54 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Awesome race, Jayne! I struggle with mental toughness on the run during tris too. There's a great book called "Running Within" that Suzy recommended years ago that is all about the mental aspect and gives you tools for dealing with it. I highly recommend it, although I'm still working on consistently applying it. Congrats on a great race and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Ancilla Rss Feed