Columbia Triathlon Association
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 28m 6s
Overall Rank = 174/1683
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 29/161
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 4:15, had some coffee, bagel with PB, and banana. Started to hydrate. Got my bottles ready, and left the house and picked up my cousin about 4:45.
Event warmup:

Continued the tradition of not doing too much besides setting up transition and hitting the bathroom. Drank some EFS with Pre Race and had a Power Gel about 15-20 pre-swim.
Swim
  • 23m 4s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

A lot of contact early and I was really surprised at how many green caps I noticed through the first turn. Was worried that everyone got faster and I got slower! Things started to spread out after the first turn and heading back toward the finish was much less eventful and only had to worry about navigating the wave ahead. After the first/second turns, I was able to pull away from the pack a bit.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure...I feel like the effort feels so much higher in the race than it does at the pool. I feel like I'm working so much harder than I should be, but still dropped 50 seconds from last year so I can't complain too much I suppose.
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Dropped 34 seconds from last year and wanted to go below 2:30. Had an optimal rack position this year so that helped. I am always so WINDED exiting the water for whatever reason so it takes me a bit to settle down. The wetsuit came off the top running to transition and fairly quickly off the legs. Did get stuck on the timing chip a bit and I thought about sitting, but finally managed to get it off. Threw the helmet and glasses on and ran out of transition. Had my shoes on the bike this year and this was definitely a good move.

Just try to strip the wetsuit off faster. Other than that, not too much.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 37s
  • 25.48 miles
  • 19.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, not sure why, but I am always just really winded post swim so it took me a bit to settle down. Had some digestion issues throughout. My stomach didn't bother me a bit, but felt like I probably drank too much just prior to the race and despite knowing I needed fluids, had trouble putting them down without feeling like I wanted to just spit them back out. It's weird because my stomach wasn't in any pain, just felt like it was already full of liquid.
Onto the actual bike portion...once I settled down, I tried to really hammer it down the hills. Downhills felt great, uphills, meh... Once again, improving the uphills needs to be a focus. No major issues and for once it was nice to not get passed by tons of people. Mind you, I still got passed quite a bit, but not as much as previous years. 4 minutes better than last year. Was hoping to hit 20mph average and came close, but not quite there.

Only one issue I hit during the bike is my foot popped off my pedal during a downhill and I wobbled for a second before getting clipped back in. Definitely need to check on the cleats!

With about 6 or 7 miles to go, I saw my cousin on the side of the road with a couple volunteers. He was standing and didn't look hurt so I assumed mechanical issue. Turns out he had two flats within the first few miles of the race. Not a good welcome to his first olympic distance tri. Felt really bad for him...

I'm getting better every year so I just have to keep working...especially uphills as that is where I get passed a lot. Downhills I can hold my own :)
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

I wanted to break a minute this year and did. My wife said she and my daughters tried to catch me in transition after seeing me enter the park, but I was already gone. Again, optimal rack position helped a bunch.

Not much...one shoe got stuck a bit getting on, but no major issue.
Run
  • 44m 9s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Dropped 3+ minutes from last year and the goal was 44 minutes so I'm happy with this. If I had realized I was so close to breaking 2:28, I could probably have found seven seconds somewhere :) Overall I'm pretty pleased with the effort. Miles 4 and 5 weren't quite what I was hoping for, but 6 was much better and I finished strong.

Not too much. My run is definitely improving quite a bit so I am pretty happy with this.
Post race
Warm down:

Found my family and waiting for friends to finish

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More swim/bike training.

Event comments:

Another year and another Columbia Tri in the books. Being pretty close to home it's hard to pass up. I dropped 9 minutes from last year so I am very happy with that. Not sure if I can pull that off again next year, but that would have me breaking 2:20 :) We will see!

Last updated: 2012-04-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:04 | 1640 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/161
Overall: 0/1683
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Full
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:20
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:37 | 25.48 miles | 19.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 68/161
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:09 | 06.21 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/161
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-05-21 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Olney, MD
Subject: Columbia Triathlon

2012-05-21 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4220785

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Columbia Triathlon

Good job on the improvement over last year. I wish I was fast enough to face your challenges in the swim.

Interesting comment on seeing your cousin by the side of the road. I think I passed him just a few minutes after you went by, and was thinking to myself "poor guy, I wonder what his story is".

2012-05-22 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
Olney, MD
I was in shock when I saw him. I figured it to be mechanical since he was standing and otherwise looked fine. I couldn't even get any words out..
2012-05-22 1:44 PM

User image

Elite
Reston VA
Nice work! And nice to see improvements across all the disciplines.. Consistent training will do it for ya!

Next PR stop - Eagleman!
2012-05-22 1:47 PM

User image

Expert
Olney, MD
Thanks Coach!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbia Triathlon Rss Feed