5150 Triathlon Series
64F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 16m 28s
Overall Rank = 50/673
Age Group = 30-34M
Age Group Rank = 10/81
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4 am for a bowl of oatmeal, yogurt, and a cup of coffee. Before I knew it I was parking my car at the lake at 5:15am and walking my bike to transition. The first thing I did after racking my bike was hit the porta potties, because I had to go bad. Early transition arrival = my choice of toilet. The nice thing about that was I avoided the long lines that formed later on. After milling about in transition and after much prodding by the PA announcer I made my way down to the beach with my wetsuit in tow.
Event warmup:

Not today. I thought about doing a quick swim, but that would've involved getting wet and then sitting on the beach cold for 45 minutes.
Swim
  • 22m 32s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

I lined up front and took off like crazy expecting there to be some fighting for position up front. Unexpectedly, there was none. There were only three of us up front and those two were off to my left and right. This was good news for my heart rate as I didn't have to get all worked up just to escape and find clean water. The next thing I notice is that I can't see jack. I look forward and all I can see is the splashing of water from the swimmers in the previous wave. I just hoped they were going in the right direction because I couldn't see a buoy anywhere. I blame this on my goggles, which were a backup pair after my previous pair got mysteriously broken. I had realized that I had a couple of guys drafting off of my feet and I all I can think about is that they're going to be sorry they followed me once I lead them off course.

Miraculously, I see a buoy. Not only do I see it but I pass right next to it. I totally meant to do that, no luck here. At this point I'm swimming through the traffic of the earlier waves. I see a guy in a white swim cap (my wave) and follow his feet through the bodies of people. If I can't see clearly I might as well have someone lead the way for me. This lasts from the first turn buoy until the turn buoy for home and I suffer minimal contact along the way. Somehow I lose my guide and I'm on my own to make it back to shore. No worries, I can find my way. I just have to swim towards the blurry green/brown up ahead (aka land). The traffic clears up on the way in and eventually my fingers hit sand and I stand up, but I really wish I hadn't yet. It was a long trudge through thigh high water before I could actually hit the beach and jog up it.
What would you do differently?:

Don't be so quick to stand up so early in the water. I know better.

2010 - 23:48
2011 - 22:42
2012 - 22:32
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

Geeze. My transitions feel so slow. After a long run to my bike, which gave me plenty of time to struggle with getting my wetsuit off my arms, I reached my bike. I took too long to get my wetsuit off my ankles. Mounting my bike felt like a comedic spectacle.
197th out of 673

Practice more transitions. Clearly just competing in triathlons doesn't make me any faster in transition, particularly T1.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 15s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Once I got going and settled I put my head down and got to work. I really enjoyed this whole bike segment and just had fun with it. I really didn't care for parts of the old course, which passed through the community college and neighborhood. This course was a welcome change with the wide streets, long straight-a ways, a few hills, and spectators. I tried to manage a balance between pushing it too hard and wasting my legs, and being smart and saving something for the run.

I think I write this on every other race report, but looking at the overall standings my bike is clearly my biggest limiter as everyone else who placed around me has a faster bike split. I've made some good strides in the past year, but there is still plenty of room for improvement. I was kinda hoping for a 22mph average. Oh well.

I think I could've sacrificed a tad more effort on the second loop instead of leaning towards being cautious and resting my legs.
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

A mostly solid T2. Nailed my bike dismount (it helps to practice beforehand) but fumbled a bit with grabbing my Garmin off the bike. Room to improve.
141st/673

Practice more beforehand.
Run
  • 40m 31s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Started the run feeling great. I made a conscious decision not to look down at my Garmin to see my run pace and to just go off feel for the first mile or two. I had some stomach discomfort which suggested to me that I might have taken in a tad too much fluid on the bike, but it wasn't debilitating. In fact, all things considered, I felt great. There are times when I'm running the leg portion of a tri and I kinda know, later down the road, I'm going to have to slow things down or actually walk at some point. By mile two I *knew* that today wasn't going to be those days. I was going to be able to hold it all together for the entire run. My stomach issues disappeared at some point and I just flat out ignored the early indications of a right ham string cramp.

At mile three I latched on to a guy who was roughly running the same pace as I. I more less followed him for the next 2+ miles. I was forming plans to pass him near the finish, but I wanted to time it right and not attack too soon. However, I noticed his pace was falling off so I kicked it into another gear and got around him with enough effort and hoped to keep him from counter passing me. I was in pain, especially as I approached the last .25 mile, but I had enough in my legs to carry my body to the finish in an all out effort.

Pick up my pace a mile/half-mile sooner. I had it in me and I should've used it. Set a new 10k PR - although I've only run two open 10k ever.

2010 - 47:54
2011 - 44:00
2012 - 40:31
Post race
Warm down:

Gulped down a Gatorade and water. I be thirsty. Since my stomach was iffy on the run I didn't want to test it with anything the aid stations were handing out on the run. After grabbing some small food items I sat down in an isolated area of the parking lot for a breather before getting back up for some mini socialization.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not specifically targeting this race in my training (i.e. a taper) and feeling really run down the last two weeks in training.

Event comments:

I don't ask for much in my races, just a well run event come race day and that's exactly what I got. I enjoyed the bike and run courses, and despite the increased field size I don't think there were any overcrowding issues. There was talk about a special t-shirt design, but I got the impression that there was a problem getting those in and the ones we got were a quick fix. Anywho, I don't exactly sign up for races for the swag so it didn't bother me.

Last updated: 2011-12-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:32 | 1640 yards | 01m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/81
Overall: 25/673
Performance: Good
Suit: Full-sleeved Xterra Vortex
Course: Counter-clockwise rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:43
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:09:15 | 24.85 miles | 21.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/81
Overall: 128/673
Wind: Little
Course: Two loops with three u-turns on each loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:31 | 06.21 miles | 06m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/81
Overall: 54/673
Course: Two loop course. Half paved, half trail. Mostly flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-05-21 4:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: 5150 Kansas City Triathlon

2012-05-21 9:05 PM
in reply to: #4221440

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Subject: RE: 5150 Kansas City Triathlon
Nice race, for what you lack in the bike, you surely make up for in the swim and run!  Best of luck at IMKS
2012-05-21 11:59 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Great race Mike, you killed it!  What great improvements on the run over the last few years.
2012-05-24 8:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overland Park, Kansas
Nice race, wish I had your run legs!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5150 Kansas City Triathlon Rss Feed