General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Whisky Dick Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-03 6:33 PM

Subject: Whisky Dick Triathlon : Official Thread
My buddy talked me into signing up for the Whisky Dick Triathlon.  I reluctantly signed up and now I found out that the bike segment has a 1900 ft elevation gain in the first 12 miles.  Has anybody conquered the Whiskt Dick?  What should I expect?  How do you go about training for that?

2012-06-07 1:21 PM
in reply to: #4242067

User image

Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: Whisky Dick Triathlon : Official Thread

Congratulations! You signed up for the hardest olympic triathlon in the state. A few things you should work on...

1. Make sure your long rides are at least 3 hours in length. That hill takes a long time to get up and you want to have the fitness to get through a run after biking for 1:40 +.

2. Do hill repeats sitting down. The 12 miles uphill can take an hour or more depending on the wind so experience in the hills is great.

3. Expect a head wind. Get comfortable in the aero position while climbing. Its important to stay out of the wind as much as possible.

4. The grade of the hill probably averages 4% with spots as steep as 6%. Make sure you have a cassette that will keep you in a comfortable cadence during the climb.

Good luck

2012-06-09 8:46 AM

User image

Seattle

The previous post is good, but also look out for the hill on the run. I think it is mile 5 when you head up to the water tower.  The hill is a pretty sharp rise when you want to be finished.

Good luck.

2012-06-25 1:58 PM

User image

Ellensburg, WA
I rode the course the other day, they just painted the lines so it doesn't look like they will be chip sealing it like last year. Good news.
2012-06-26 9:58 AM

Thanks for the info.  I am looking forward to the challenge.  How windy does it get?  The temperature is a concern as well, how hot will it be at the end of July(typically)?
2012-07-03 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4280843

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
pagraham7 - 2012-06-26 7:58 AMThanks for the info.  I am looking forward to the challenge.  How windy does it get?  The temperature is a concern as well, how hot will it be at the end of July(typically)?
It will be super hot and likely the most wind you have ridden in. I did a training ride there last year and was crushed by the time we for into town....the tailwind on the way back plus 12 mile descent was nice....you can check wind speeds if you look at the pse whisky Dick website. Our day was insane 25+ sustained with gusts to 45! Wind is the worst!Have fun , if I'd been swimming this year, I would do this one.

2012-07-10 7:50 PM
in reply to: #4292798

Hard to prepare fro that much wind.  I will do my best and try not to blow up on the ride!  Thanks.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Whisky Dick Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed