United States
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 30m 37s
Overall Rank = 67/229
Age Group = W35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/35
Pre-race routine:

Volunteered on the pool deck from 7:30 - 11:30, went home for a quick lunch and back to race at 12:30.
Event warmup:

stood in line for over an hour to start the pool swim. jumped in the water for a few laps while waiting.
Swim
  • 07m 18s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Took it easy on the swim, didn't think the few extra seconds gained by going all out would help with the overall time.
What would you do differently?:

get an earlier seeding so I wouldn't have to wait in line
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

This was a horrible time! However, I took the extra time to throw on a jacket and a head warmer as it was cool and rainy out. Didn't want to be cold! Also had a fairly long run out from the pool to bike.

since this was not an A race - probably nothing.
Bike
  • 50m 12s
  • 12.71 miles
  • 15.19 mile/hr
Comments:

I have been working on the bike a lot more the last few months and this was my best bike ever. The course was really hilly and I probably could of attacked the hills a little more, but overall I am happy with this perfomance. The course was also wet with lots of sharp corners so was careful to slow down on these. One big thing was that I was way more comfortable in aero! First race when I spent the majority of the time on the aero bars.

I think I am ready for a bike upgrade! Keep up with the bike training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Again a horrible tranisition. Took the jacket off as I was hot and had trouble with the tongue of one of my running shoes.

probably nothing
Run
  • 28m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok - so I had no idea what to expect with this run as this was the longest run since September. I am super happy with the time, but it was not a very comfortable run. The thing I noticed most was my legs and feet felt like they did not not what to do. All my runs have been at a slow pace and have had no problem transitioning to a mid-foot gait. However, when I was running faster my feet weren't sure whether to run off the heels like I used to or on the balls of the feet. I never got into a good stride. Was also suffering from toe cramps (off and on since the swim) and they really started to cramp on the run - it felt like I had marbles under my pinky toes. Breathing was good and was able to finish strong.

Coming off of PF and not running for several months and then starting back with a new running style - I am happy with this. I know as I continue to increase my mileage and get some faster runs in my feet will settle in to a comfortable stride.
Post race
Warm down:

Kids and Steve were there to greet me coming in. Got some gatoraide and snacks then walked back to bike and packed up. The snack table was awesome!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was not an A race - so wasn't worried about the times as much. If it was I wouldn't have volunteered in the morning, would of paid extra to get an early slot and would have had more run miles under my belt.

Event comments:

So I didn't have any problems on the course - other than waiting an extra hour in line to swim. But my hubby (who spent the majority of the time walking around the transition area) explained to me that it was a "monkey sh!t fest" and was the worst organized race he had ever seen. The tranisition area was not closed and not only were the racers going in and out throughout the day spectators were as well. Evidently while I was swimming a large group of spectators were taking pictures with racer right in front of my bike - my husband almost had a heart attack thinking I would be out any minute and not able to get to my bike. Besides the transition being a cluster ****, the whole area was not set up well - you basically had to walk through transition to get anywhere and the ins and outs weren't intutively thought out. Not enough volunteers out on course or in transition. I just hope no one had anything stolen. Lastly, they had the kids race going on at the same time I was on the course, luckily I was able to run around all the kiddos. I gave this race a 2 based soley on the transition area - The race organizers need to change the layout, close the transition to spectators and have more volunteers enforcing and aiding in transition. Also never ever saw race officials or bike mechanics out on course. Which would of been helpful b/c I saw 2 people with bike problems.

Last updated: 2012-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:18 | 500 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 15/229
Performance: Average
Suit: tri suit
Course: pool swim - split lanes
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:53
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:50:12 | 12.71 miles | 15.19 mile/hr
Overall: 86/229
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 2 different out and backs w/ lots of small hills and one enourmous hill. 800 ft of elevation gain. Not an easy course.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:39 | 03.11 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Overall: 83/229
Performance: Average
Course: out and back along the Glen Hwy mutli use path - rolling terrain.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2012-06-04 2:57 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: Eagle River Triathlon

2012-06-05 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4243904

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Eagle River Triathlon

Considering your PF issues the past year, you should be very happy with your run Robin!  Congrats on a great race!

Too bad about the transition chaos!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Eagle River Triathlon Rss Feed