General Discussion Race Reports! » Playtri Festival - RBM International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Playtri Festival - RBM International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Irving, Texas
United States
Playtri
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 23m 5s
Overall Rank = 26/266
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/15
Pre-race routine:

No Coffee, no Clif bar as usual because I ran out of them. Had a Perpeteum solid for breakfast whoopee.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 32m 4s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

2nd Oly OWS without wetsuit in the last week and I still suck. Still not comfortable swimming in crowds without wetsuit and it was very crowded swimming out of the canal. I started toward the back hoping some space would clear up but had to stop several times waiting for errant swimmers that were zig zagging in front of me.
What would you do differently?:

keep practicing long OWS without wetsuit. Push OWS workouts a little harder to get out of easy comfortable pace I end up racing at because of lack of confidence.
Transition 1
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Had a pretty crappy spot next to a hedge and behind a tree in the grass but made the run thru transition quickly. Getting feet into shoes was an issue that impacted my bike time.

check into transition earlier to not get stuck in the corner.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 51s
  • 24 miles
  • 22.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Slowed quite a bit while fumbling to get feet in shoes, straps ended up getting pulled out of slots when I finally got feet in shoes so I just left them that way rather then screw around with them more. Legs, especially hamstrings were dead, probably due to 5K race I ran the day before. Tried to get HR to up to 145 Ave but legs just wouldn't let me do it, caught myself dropping effort down to 135bpm effort and had to scold myself to get back after it. Forgot to Gu before ending the bike leg.

safety pins in end of bike shoe straps so they can't get pulled out of the slots. Don't run a 5K the day before a tri.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

No problems with dismount. Had a couple of guys just standing around blocking my way behind the tree to my transition area so that cost me a few seconds. Had to sit on grass to get shoes on because the acorns under the tree were sticking to my feet.

a better spot on the rack would have been a lot better
Run
  • 44m 18s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

took longer then usual to get legs up to speed so just focused on cadence and knew stride would eventually lengthen out. Once again the 5K the day before couldn't of helped. Was really wishing I had taken a Gu on the bike at mile 2 and forgot to put backup in my race belt. About mile 3 big toe joint on left foot started killing me on push off so had to adjust stride to push off with out side of left foot. Got passed by one of my budies at mile 4 and gave better effort to keep up with him, passed him at mile 5 and told him lets go, he ended up sprinting past me at the finish but I didn't care he had motivated me to pick up the pace for the last 2 miles.

Gel Noosas are officially retired after two raced where I've had foot issues racing in them. Have to remember to put back up Gu in race belt. Normally I don't need to Gu in Olympic distance but the lack of my normal Clif Bar before the race turned this into a carb depletion race.
Post race
Warm down:

None, a few bottles of water, three slices of pizza and my fit foods chicken and fruit bowl.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor non-wetsuit OWS confidence, dead legs from race the day before, poor location on transition rack, sloppy getting feet into bike shoes.

Event comments:

I like the larger events in more urban settings like this race. Good sized crowd. Water station on the back of the course was undermanned, I passed three times because they only had two people handing out water on each side of the road and they were back at table getting cups as I was running by. Playtri does a nice awards ceremony at the end I wish the other local race organizations would try to duplicate.

Last updated: 2012-05-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:04 | 1640 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/15
Overall: 108/266
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri shorts only
Course: goofy course swimming the contour of the lake several spots where you could not see the next bouy because the bank of the lake was in the way. Garmin had distance at 0.91mi.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:04:51 | 24 miles | 22.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 23/266
Performance: Good
Ave HR 140, Ave cadence 82
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Two loops out and back thru Las Colinas. Garmin had it at 23.8mi.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:18 | 06.21 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 25/266
Performance: Below average
149 ave HR. 1 7:17.5 1.00 7:18 2 7:04.4 1.00 7:04 3 7:12.1 1.00 7:12 4 7:04.0 1.00 7:04 5 7:10.5 1.00 7:10 6 7:03.4 1.00 7:03 7 1:35.7 0.25 6:18
Course: two loops on out and back that kind of folded back on itself (you had to be there). Garmin had distance at 6.25mi.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-04 5:59 PM

User image

DFW, Tejas
Subject: Playtri Festival - RBM International Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Playtri Festival - RBM International Triathlon Rss Feed