General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf and Turf Series #1 - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Surf and Turf Series #1 - Long Course - Aquathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Littleton, Colorado
United States
Surf & Turf Aquathon USA
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 06m 51s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Times aren't posted yet on the site, so I will update with the accurate times later.

Tried to leave work a little early, but ended up leaving a little after 5:00. Ate half a banana and a Tiger's Milk bar, drank some Propel. Registered, found a spot in transition, and laid out my transition area.
Event warmup:

Pulled on my wetsuit, swim cap, and goggles, and dunked underwater.
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Transition 1
  • 00m
Swim
  • 34m 21s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first OW swim of the season, and my longest OW swim ever. I needed to become reacquainted with the boyancy differences that come with wearing a wetsuit. Went out probably a little hard, so I had to back off a little once I got to the first bouy. Spent most of the first lap tickling Ryan(himself)'s toes, so I mostly let him navigate. Reading his RR, sounds like that was a bad idea! =) Passed Ryan at the start of the second lap, and got into a good rhythm.
What would you do differently?:

A better warm up would probably have helped me get in my rhythm faster. I should have done an OW swim prior to this event so I could get reaccustomed to the wetsuit. Also, verify the accuracy of my navigation a bit more frequently when drafting.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Had a hard time getting the socks on and into the shoes.

These were different socks than I used last year, and posed more of a challenge, so I should probably go back to the other kind (or go without!).
Run
  • 32m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a side/stomache cramp for the first 3/4 of the run, which was aided by belching =). My right calf was also pretty tight through much of the run. The wind picked up as I reached the crest of the hill on the way out (about 1/4 of the way through), and the rain and occasional hail kicked in about half way through. I was very grateful for my hat. Once I reached the crest of the hill on the return, I picked up the pace a bit through the finish.

Kick a little harder at the end of my swim to get the legs warmed up a bit.
Post race
Warm down:

Found Hubby, packed up my transition area, pulled on a shirt, wrapped up in a towel, and hung out the with BT crew while Mark won yet another raffle prize. ;) Stayed to chat with luv2ride, blackbud, himself, gearwhore, juliapurr and MarkDills until the cold started to make my hipflexor cramp.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of an earlier OW swim, leg and stomache cramps.

Event comments:

Great low-key event to get ramped up for the bigger races of the season. The organizers have made a few changes this year, including using timing chips, that make what was already a great event event better.

Last updated: 2006-06-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall:
Putting on cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting out of shoes:
Swimming
00:34:21 | 1640 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Performance: Average
Time includes the transistion, which I think was around 2 minutes.
Suit: sleeveless O'Neill
Course: 2 laps around a rectangular course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall: Below average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Below average
Running
00:32:30 | 03.11 miles | 10m 27s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back along dirt road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-01 3:41 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado
Subject: Surf and Turf Series #1 - Long Course

2006-06-01 3:51 PM
in reply to: #440652

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: Surf and Turf Series #1 - Long Course
Yep, that's what ya get for following me! Actually, I was thinking about it a little more and it was probably better to follow on the first lap. Unlike what it says in my RR, the big swoop off course happened in the 2nd lap and were occurring when I tried to go a little harder. There was one in the first lap - it was around the 2nd buoy. Next time I'm following your feet and letting you guide the way! Nice job though!
2006-06-02 3:30 PM
in reply to: #440652

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Surf and Turf Series #1 - Long Course
Wow, I didn't realize that was your longest OW swim - ever. You did awesome! I would have been much more nervous than you appeared to be (although that HR at the start was pretty high!!). Great job - the swims will get easier from now on.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf and Turf Series #1 - Long Course Rss Feed