Streamline Events, LLC.
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 56s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 4/19
Pre-race routine:

Race started at 9, so a little later than normal sleep in. Had only liquid for breakfast since the stomach bug on Friday has me still a little spooked. Felt fine, but did have a few "liquid" runs to the toilet this morning.
Event warmup:

Not much to warm up. Did some leg exercises and strides.
Swim
  • 09m 25s
  • 586 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Took the swim pretty easy, never pushed into the redline or even close. Just settled into a nice rhythm and pace and maintained for the whole swim. This was the one leg I was most concerned about with the stomach issues, but it turned out to be no problem at all. Tried to find some feet but every time the guy either took off or tailed off so I had to pass.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more in the winter and push harder. I have a love/hate relationship with swimming. I love swimming but hate getting to the pool, and also realize that on minimal (zero?) training I do "OK" on the swim, I keep thinking I should keep spending more time running.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

Still gotta work on this. Had major issues with the wetsuit on wrists, I've never had that before. Also need to just move faster the whole time.

Practice and get these quicker for sprints. I think for long course it's not as bad to lose a minute in transitions, but in a sprint it's a killer.
Bike
  • 44m 6s
  • 15 miles
  • 20.41 mile/hr
Comments:

I decided to ride with a hard but even RPE as much as possible. Passed tons of people going up hills. The faster dudes on the TT bikes passed me back on the downhills. I know it's not all about the bike, but I have to think those bikes help. My cornering is also not the best, which was a big part of this course. For this course I'd need to study up on taking 90 degree turns at speed as a few of the turn were at the bottom of downhills. Pushed this leg fairly hard, but not to the red line.

Not much. My riding prepared me for this type of course from a terrain perspective. I could use some work on cornering.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Same as T1, I simply need to do everything faster. I also noticed someone near me had those special lace locks, and they were 10-15 seconds faster on the lacing than me. Probably worth the few bucks to get those.

Practice these.
Run
  • 27m 36s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

The hill right out of transition was a killer and really tested me. I did my best to keep a solid effort but the pace was simply atrocious. I was passing people all the way up though, so that helped. On the second lap I pushed the uphill a little harder and then held on through the last mile. My breathing was even and the HR was high.

Run more hills, lose more weight!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit and biked back to T1 to get my stuff. We watched team Hoyt go through T2 and gave them a rousing cheer to get their run started. Incredibly inspirational to see them again.

Event comments:

Loved the course, but post race was lacking. Only water to drink and bananas to eat. Seemed strange. There were some kids selling gatorade, but they didn't seem affiliated with the race. It was awesome to see Jarrod Shoemaker there, as well as team Hoyt.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:25 | 586 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/19
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Almost an out and back in a calm reservoir. Nice course, easy to sight and maintain course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:37
Performance:
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:06 | 15 miles | 20.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/19
Performance: Good
Ave HR: 157 3 mile ave: 160, 160, 156, 156, 154.
Wind: None
Course: Fun, technical course. 3 laps of a 5 mile course. Short, steepish hills, a lot of 90 degree+ turns, a few one lane areas, and speed bumps through the school parking lot. This course is a lot like my normal everyday riding courses.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:36 | 03.4 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/19
Performance: Average
mile 1: 8:49, 157 HR mile 2: 8:23, 161 HR mile 1: 8:18, 166 HR last .4: 7:19, 167 HR
Course: Two loops of 1.7 miles. Big hill out of transition, then through a parking lot and down the hill. After the first lap there's a short steep hill up and down to avoid the finish chute. Tough course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-06-10 5:50 PM

User image

NH
Subject: Marlborough Triathlon

2012-06-10 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4254211

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: Marlborough Triathlon

Great job Warren...and I would recommend the speed laces - really does make a difference and they are only around 10 bucks. At least you didn't conk out halfway through the run, right? Or make hot chocolate in T2?

Seriously - cut a few seconds out of transitions and you'll be on the podium in no time.

2012-06-11 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Looks like a great race, and the fact you can do the swim with no training is fantastic! I would be sinking to the bottom. Glad to see you over and the bug you had and did well I the race!
2012-06-11 12:38 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Those are FAST times...GREAT job!!!!! Thanks for posting!

2012-06-11 12:41 PM

User image

Massachusetts
Wow, nice job! I did this race as well (although at a much slow pace), and love the race despite the hills and the 2 transition areas.  You were charging on that bike!
2012-06-11 3:38 PM

User image

I hate you for your swim time with no training. Great bike pace and run! Agree that you should get the lace locks. Go to Walmart and pay $1.44 for a set of "drawstring stoppers" in the sewing/craft section. Use them with the shoelaces you currently have on your shoes and it's the same as the $10 ones. Next year you'll get the guy who got you for 3rd!

Good overall job, Warren!

2012-06-11 4:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Great job on all the legs of the race, that bike time is especially FAST!!  Your transitions aren't slow by any means, but I find a little work on these picks up some easy time. 
2012-06-11 7:09 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Great race!  I am with the others, your swim time is pretty amazing given that you train so little. 

I do have to agree with your transition times.  You could definitely be on the podium if you can get them down even a little bit. 

It sounds like the bike course is pretty tough and it sounds like you nailed it very well.

Good job!

2012-06-11 8:15 PM

User image

Carmel

Nice race Warren.

Brenda had some neat shoe lace advice.

I liked the detail of your report.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marlborough Triathlon Rss Feed