General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile - SwimOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Stevensville, Maryland
United States
Great Chesapeake Bay Swim
88F / 31C
Total Time = 2h 18m 9s
Overall Rank = 237/440
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 27/45
Pre-race routine:

Up at 7 and normal breakfast (bagel, banana). Packed kids up and headed out for the hour drive. Arrived and it was busy and hot already. tried to find some shade and kept kids busy for a bit.

Had to sit in the sun during the meeting. Drank accelerage, gatorade and 3 water bottles whole time and still felt like it wasn't enough. Also had power bar and apple.
Event warmup:

That's what the first 1mile's for.
Swim
  • 2h 18m 9s
  • 7744 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm disappointed. I was hoping and expecting to beat my last performance of 2:16:??. I felt I was better trained and felt fine. not sure what happened. Maybe I was too hot pre-race, went out too hard, or something.

I had 55:?? at mile 2 which is 28minutes per mile at worst, so something happened after that. I did get severe leg cramps in the lanes but felt that I pushed through them without losing too much time. The barges didn't really affect me either. Current wasn't really an issue and there was no real chop. Just some larger swells in the lanes. Felt ok enough at mile 3 to skip the food boat and finished hard.

Maybe the cramps really slowed me more than I thought or I wasn't 100% over the sinus infection I got on Thursday.

The water was pretty poor this year. I drank a bit more of the water than normal and the beginning was awfully full of gas. You could have lit the surface with a match.
What would you do differently?:

Stay cooler pre-race.
Post race
Warm down:

Food, and then more food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Dunno. Pre-race heat, cramps?

Last updated: 2012-04-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
02:18:09 | 7744 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 27/45
Overall: 237/440
Performance: Average
Suit: xterra
Course: under bay bridge
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-11 6:50 AM

Sykesville, MD
Subject: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile

2012-06-11 7:56 AM
in reply to: #4254788

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile
Congrats.  I thought that the swells in the shipping lane were pretty big, and I am certain that I slowed down there to avoid drinking too much water/gasoline mix.  It is still a great accomplishment to just finish!
2012-06-11 4:40 PM
in reply to: #4254896

User image

Veteran
Worcester, MA
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile

there were some pretty big swells.  I just tried to time my breathing to the top of them and pretend they weren't otherwise there.  I'll take swells over nasty current anyway.

and yes, the fuel stench at the beginning was unreal.  too many boats idling near the start?

nice job!

Edited by em73 2012-06-11 4:43 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile Rss Feed