General Discussion Race Reports! » Redondo Beach Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Redondo Beach Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Redondo Beach, California
United States
TC Tri Productions, LLC
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 51m 51s
Overall Rank = 48/519
Age Group = CLYDE
Age Group Rank = 1/32
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45, as my wife volunteering again, so had to show up early with her. Quick Starbucks.

My first tri back in 2005, been trying to get on the podium and have been close, but never got there despite generally going faster each year. Last year racing as a clyde as they've upped the weight cutoff to 220, and I don't plan on being there again.
Event warmup:

warmup included helping setting up flags in the swim to bike transition (my wife's area). Then set up transition, about 1/2 mile run. 45 minutes prior to start got in the water, as I've learned I need a good 10-20 minutes swim warmup to avoid fatigued shoulders, especially in shorter races.
Swim
  • 14m 8s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

My estimate for the swim was 15:30, which was about last year's time. There was negligible surf, in the very fun range. Went out fast at the gun, but we had some fasties in the wave. Probably top 10 at the first buoy out of about 100, but there were a few guys that just absolutely took off. Tried to find some feet but was unsuccessful the entire swim.

Swim was very fast, about 2 minutes faster than last year, had a nice current in our favor. Because i never found anyone to draft off of, it was left to me to weave my way through prior waves. I had swam out to the buoys before the race so I knew where to sight and hit two buoys fairly straight on

Fairly uneventful swim, just tried to maintain a solid hard pace. Turned to shore and kept looking for a wave to ride in, but found nothing...
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Good swim
Transition 1
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

estimated 3 minutes. Was 2d ag. A little sloppy and slow, lots of room for improvement.

Includes a long uphill run to T1. Ran all of it, unlike other years
Bike
  • 17m 38s
  • 6 miles
  • 20.42 mile/hr
Comments:

wanted 16:30, I overestimated my ability apparently. It's a short course, but hurts to go that fast even for 17 minutes. Technical course. 2 180 degree turns, 2 sweeping turns at the bottom of a steep little hill, 4 long straightaways with false flats etc.

I had a head to head challenge by a friend, i only beat him by about :40 on the swim, he beat me by 1:01 on the bike. Passed me like last year and I couldn't keep up. Mostly decent crowd, lots of folks riding on the left (very beginner friendly) but it's a wide course and people tended to move over on an "on your left" call out.

1 minute faster than 2011
What would you do differently?:

I need more time on the CT
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

estimated 1 minute. 7th ag. lots of room for improvement
Run
  • 15m 59s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I thought maybe I could do 15:40. Last year was 17 minutes so that would have been a great improvement, but I'll take a bit over a minute.

Knew I wasn't going to catch my friend, so set off on a pace I thought maintain for 1 mile then take off for mile 2. Interesting new course, a lot of turns and no long straightaways, and can see lots of other parts of the course during the run.

Just now saw a video by a guy holding a flip video, man I run funny. I bunch up my shoulders and run with t rex arms. pitiful.

No idea what the split was until official results posted, stoked to see a 7 in the front of the split. Just barely, but still

1 minute faster than 2011
Post race
Event comments:

Fun little race. Glad it's in my hometown. Two things I was stoked about were the 7:XX run split and that I would have been 3d in my real AG. That would have been a first. Next year....

Last updated: 2012-01-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:08 | 880 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/32
Overall: 0/519
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:56
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:17:38 | 06 miles | 20.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/32
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:15:59 | 02 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/32
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-06-12 11:54 PM

User image

Subject: Redondo Beach Triathlon - Sprint Course

2012-06-12 11:57 PM
in reply to: #4258885

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: Redondo Beach Triathlon - Sprint Course
Very impressive Chris. Your training and racing have really hit a new level this year. Keep it up and congrats on the hardware.
2012-06-13 1:46 PM
in reply to: #4258885

User image

Subject: RE: Redondo Beach Triathlon - Sprint Course
Great job.  Way to win the clyde division and nice OA placing too.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Redondo Beach Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed