City of Ridgeland
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 52m 36s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29M
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Jackson yesterday afternoon with Lacey, a girl from my Tri-training team. It was her first triathlon (she ended up placing 2nd in her AG... on a MTB!) Got up there, got checked in to the hotel, and got some sleep. Was up early, headed over the race site, and got checked in.
Event warmup:

Not much really. Had a Clif bar on the way to the race, and then some Gatorade prior to the start. Stretched a little bit, and got in the water, which was perfect temp. I should have gone for a short jog or a quick ride on the bike, but turns out I was alright without it.
Swim
  • 28m 24s
  • 880 meters
  • 03m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim ruined this race for me. But I can't make any excuses. I just did bad. I started off ok for about the first 100m. Then I was kicked in the face and it dropped my goggles around the neck. That totally threw off the rythm, and there was no getting it back. By the time I recovered from that, my HR was up, and breathing was getting more labored. I had to alternate between freestyle, breast, and backstroke. This seemed like the LONGEST 800m ever! I was passed by just about every other wave that started after me (all of them). I just couldn't get it together. Oh well, at least I got through it. There was lots of volunteers out there, in kayaks and boats. And they were great.
What would you do differently?:

No matter how prepared you think you are from swimming in a pool, it's another world swimming in OW. I've been taking my pool swims for granted, thinking "hey, I can swim 1500m in the pool, this 800m OWS is going to be cake." Boy was I wrong.
Transition 1
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

T1 went well. I was a little slow, but I figured after almost a half hour in the water, why the hell should I worry about an extra 30 secs in T1?Then I brainfarted. I got half way out of T1, and realized I had forgotten my race number belt. It didn't even dawn on me that I didn't need it till the run. I don't know what I was thinking. So I walked my bike over and asked a volunteer to hold it for me while I ran back and grabbed my belt. Damn I'm stupid.

Use my brain.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 29s
  • 24.5 miles
  • 18.04 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike leg felt good. I was passed quite a few times, but I was expecting that. I did pass a few people though. I'm used to totally flat rides, so this was a bit new. I loved the elevation changes though. I know they were small, but it was a fun change to my normal rides. My bike rode smooth throughout, no mechanical difficulties. My gear changes were just right, and my hydration/nutrition was perfect.

Just need more time in the saddle. I haven't been biking that long, so I'm happy with my overall performance.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Had my feet out of my shoes about 100m before the dismount. Ran to the rack and just had to throw my running shoes on. Great transition for me, everything went smooth. I took the time to gulp down a gel and chase it with some gatorade, so I would have saved another 15 secs in not for that. Overall, I'm happy with it.

Nothing.
Run
  • 59m 7s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I usually consider running my strong point, but lately, I just haven't been performing as well. No excuses, I just haven't been able to get it together. This run started off good. I felt good, no pain/cramps, breathing was good, and I had energy. I just couldn't make myself run fast though. I don't know what it was. I think I was afraid that I was going to blow myself out on the first 5k and blow it on the back half. By the time I reached the turn around though, I realized that I wasn't putting enough effort in.

All of the sudden, I thought about the saying that I've read here on BT several times: "Leave it all on the course". It just kind of clicked. I don't know why I've never thought of that saying during a race before. That became my mantra for the rest of the race, and I took off. My pace dropped by at least a min/mile. I wasn't exactly flying, but I was definitely making up for lost time on the first half of the run. I estimate that for the last 5k I had a 8:15 pace. From now on, I have a new mindset for races: Leave it all on the course.

Not be so cautious in the beginning of the run. I know what I'm capable of, and I need to trust myself more.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line of my first Olympic triathlon, and had a bottle of water. Then I walked back to transition to get my camera to get pics of Lacey crossing the finish line. Ran into Scott (oneword) while we were packing up and chatted for a minute. Wish we could have hung out longer, but I think we were both still zoning out from the race. (next time Scott, first beer's on me!) Afterwards, we had lunch, which by the way was the BEST post-race meal I've ever had. Chicken alfredo, baked grouper, gumbo, ice cream, etc. It was increddible. And server on a commemerative frisby non-the-less!!! We ate, watched the awards, and then headed back to the Big Easy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not too much that was outside my control. I'd like to say the water was too rough, the weather was too bad, or the heat was too much, but I can't. Overall, this was the best course, the best weather, and best opportunity I've had. Despite my sub-par performance, I had a great time, and I can't wait till the next one. Olympic triathlon: check. Next on the menu: Florida Challenge HIM!

Event comments:

This was a very well organized race, with great volunteers. Water/gatorade was plentiful, and there was even big wet sponges handed out at the half way point of the run. Great organization, on time, excellent post-race.... I definitely recommend this race to anyone in the future.

Last updated: 2006-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:24 | 880 meters | 03m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 29/
Overall: 31/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Tri top/bottom
Course: U-shaped course, out and back. Not very well marked; only a few bouys. A little bit of chop farther out from shore, but not too bad.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:28
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:21:29 | 24.5 miles | 18.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back. Smooth roads, well marked, small rollers, GREAT scenery. Couldn't have asked for a better course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:59:07 | 06.21 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back on nice shaded trail. Again, great scenery.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-03 7:57 PM

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Subject: Heatwave Classic Triathlon

As a side note: this was the first race that I haven't used my HRM for. What a difference. I felt like I was able to listen to my body and run/bike how I wanted to, not how some little computer wanted me to. I will continue to use it for training, but I will NEVER again use it for racing. I think listening to my body is more important than the HRM.

Edited by jjweav 2006-06-03 7:59 PM

2006-06-03 8:19 PM
in reply to: #442277

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs
Subject: RE: Heatwave Classic Triathlon

A rough swim can really drain you.  Overall though, your race was good and finishing this distance is something to be proud of.

2006-06-03 10:03 PM

Expert
New Orleans, LA

Great job Jeremy!

OWS does suck, I whole heartedly agree.

2006-06-03 10:23 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-06-03 10:28 PM

Expert
McKinney, TX
Awesome job!!  I'm really proud of how you left it all out there for the run.  Great bike split too!  Keep up the good work!
2006-06-04 11:07 AM

Veteran
Iowa
Congrats on getting through your first oly! Great job!

2006-06-04 2:13 PM

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Great job. 18mph bike and under 10 min miles for that distance is awesome. OWS gets easier with race experience. You are off to a great year!
2006-06-04 4:15 PM

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Congrats on your first OLY; great job!! I too got kicked during the swim and lost my goggles in my swim today; I never quite got back on track. Awesome bike and run times!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Heatwave Classic Triathlon Rss Feed