World Triathlon Corporation
58F / 14C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 30m 41s
Overall Rank = 657/1700
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 22/95
Pre-race routine:

No coffee, that's a first, was dealing with intestinal stuff from all the herbal crap I was taking to get over the plague. Toast eggs, other stuff, can't remember, this is 5 days later.
Event warmup:

Warm-up, are you kidding??! We were all hypothermic by the time we hit the water, ridiculous, horrible care for athltets b/f race, there was no protection whatever, cheap bastards, could have at least put up some kind of leanto tents, how much money does WTC have to make??
Swim
  • 37m 55s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was ok, I did get a bit off course the 1st quarter but quickly got back in a better directions, not bad for me as I have been sighting horribly in my practice ows. I seemed to stay on track ok the rest of the way. Was able to do some drafting in the 1st 1/4 but was out there on my own a lot, amazing how much less effort drafting is.
What would you do differently?:

not freeze for 3hrs b/f swim ;) improve sighting.
Transition 1
  • 06m 8s
Comments:

Ok, I took a ton of time in T1, this is not my norm but safety first was my consern on this debacle of a race. Tried drying off some with extra towel but it was still very difficult to get my long sleeve top on. I even sat down to dry feet and put socks on, such time wasters but I was hoping for something like a tinge of warmth to happen along the way, never happened but luckily the shakes calmed down 3miles into the ride.

Hard to say, I'm only human, did what I had to do.
Bike
  • 43m 23s
  • 14.02 miles
  • 19.39 mile/hr
Comments:

see above

put on a ski suit.
Transition 2
  • 04m 42s
Comments:

Well, was an ice cube still so sat down dried feet off and put new socks on. Think I may have had a gel, took some water from my speedfil, wasn't really rushing like I normally do, figured I blew the race anyway, may as well be comfortable for my death march.

nothing
Run
  • 1h 58m 22s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

(btw there's a gender overall rank listed on race results but I'm using the general overall rank, guessing that's standard)
Well, the run went about as well as I could have expected really. My feet were blocks of ice until about mile 3. This could have already effect my poor form but whatryagonna do? So I started strong which is my pattern but as Jim stressed I made an effort to keep it around 9 so I could be sure to finish without a true death march. I'm please with my splits was able to negative split it, took major effort to just eek out my measly 9min miles, I have been constantly recovering from achilles issues but of late have changed to Chi running..apparently I fell off the wagon with form b/c my achilles is not too happy since the race, hoping it'll heal soon so I can pick up some running again b/f next race. I think if I can really concentrate on running in the off season and get a handle on it I may really be able to to well next year. When I compare my times to the other women in my AG that is where they nail me, I'm getting better on the bike and seem to always do decent on the swim but it's the run that kills me, my real nemesis in this sport but I will get it figured out and my times will improve, I'm stubborn that way.

just train more, not get injured so I can finally do some track workouts.
Post race
Warm down:

walking directly to porta potty, wow, it was touch an go there for a while on the run. Then grabbed couple chocolate milks and burgers and chatted with Audrey and family then headed over to my club tent.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The horrible freaking weather!

Event comments:

It wasn't a good race b/c of the weather otherwise it's a great race, did it last year and had a blast. So far this is the worst race I've ever been in though I did the best I could under the circumstances. I just didn't get that same satisfaction I got last year after finishing the whole course, hopefully next year will be better, God willing.

Last updated: 2012-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:55 | 2112 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/95
Overall: 386/1700
Performance:
Suit: long sleeve
Course: Well, getting in the water was a relief, so much warmer than air. But to race afer shivering for 3 freaking hours is not good for the muscles. My time wasn't bad but never felt smooth or good during swim, it was choppy and that probably effected my swim given the circumstances.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:08
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:43:23 | 14.02 miles | 19.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/95
Overall: 538/1700
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: I'm using the data from my Garmin, the race is just plain wrong. I was shaking horribly coming down the dam, so glad I didn't fall. Managed to stay on and rid my body of the convulsions but that's about it, not a great way to race.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:42
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:58:22 | 13.1 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/95
Overall: 657/1700
Performance: Good
Course: Flat along the river
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2012-06-14 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Boise

2012-06-14 8:00 PM
in reply to: #4261376

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Boise

Great job....kudos to you for toughing out that horrible weather and cold water. I opted out as I was standing out there with everyone else soaking wet and freezing. I felt good about my decision....I would have felt worse having missed the entire race, but since they cancelled most of bike it was easier for me to get over it. I had the full support of my family as they were standing up there freezing with me. Once again...good job.

I'm now training for LOTOJA in Sep.

2012-06-15 12:25 PM
in reply to: #4261376

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Good job.  Anyone who finished deserved a pat on the back.  It was like we were in a polar bear club at some kind of sick joke of a winter triathlon.
2012-06-16 6:34 AM
in reply to: #4262519

User image

Extreme Veteran
mtnbkr - 2012-06-14 7:00 PM

Great job....kudos to you for toughing out that horrible weather and cold water. I opted out as I was standing out there with everyone else soaking wet and freezing. I felt good about my decision....I would have felt worse having missed the entire race, but since they cancelled most of bike it was easier for me to get over it. I had the full support of my family as they were standing up there freezing with me. Once again...good job.

I'm now training for LOTOJA in Sep.

Hey Tom,

Yeah, I think you made the right decision, the weather was so so bad, very dissapointing to train months and months and then to be hit in the face with such crappy weather. I think you were much better off staying safe and healthy for the awesome LOTOJA race you're planning. I looked that up, waaaay cool! I would die! that is one serious bad- race, can't wait to read your report. Have a blast! 

Are you interested in any other local tri's like Emmett in Aug.? It's a fun race and well supported.

Deirdre (aka Patsy)

2012-06-16 6:35 AM
in reply to: #4263619

User image

Extreme Veteran

maverickbassets - 2012-06-15 11:25 AM Good job.  Anyone who finished deserved a pat on the back.  It was like we were in a polar bear club at some kind of sick joke of a winter triathlon.

Ha-ha so true!! I think it ranks up there with the top 10 stupid things I've done lol!

2012-06-18 4:06 PM
in reply to: #4264644

User image

Regular
I like your comment about wearing a ski suit.  You prolly know my friend Rachel down there as she was wearing a tritown suit too.  

2012-06-19 10:35 PM
in reply to: #4267807

User image

Extreme Veteran

spie34 - 2012-06-18 3:06 PM I like your comment about wearing a ski suit.  You prolly know my friend Rachel down there as she was wearing a tritown suit too.  

Hey Spie, it does look like a Tri Town suit b/c the pic is so small but I wear Bob's Bikes kit, they've been good to me thru this fun tri journey. Oh, but Rachel is a  familiar name, I bet my friend Joe who trains with Tri Town may have mentioned her or something. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Boise Rss Feed