World Triathlon Corporation
39F / 4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 30m 12s
Overall Rank = 652/1691
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 87/257
Pre-race routine:

Waking up Saturday morning, the first thing I did was look out the window. What did I see?? Grey skies and rain coming down sideways...This was going to be a long day. Little did I know just how long (or short) it was actually going to be...I'm from Boise, so you'd think I'd be used to its fickle weather, but at the same time, I've lived in Arizona for 13 years. My training occurs in dry, sunny climates; temps ranging from high 50's in the winter to triple digits in the summer. Sub 40's, high wind and rain and sleet were not on my resume'.

I arrived at T2 at around 8:30am to drop off my run bag...The mood was not typical of race day. People cuddled up, shivering in their winter gear, the few smiles coming only sarcastically from athletes asking each other, "What the hell are we getting ourselves into?" or "I plan on it being much warmer at the race site". I swung into Moxie Java (Boise's original "Starbucks") for an Americano, plain toasted bagel, oatmeal and an apple. (They were out of bananas.) We got on the shuttle bus at 9am and I did my best to choke down the oatmeal/begal and drink my coffee...The shuttle took about 30 minutes to arrive. It was the last comfortable 30 minutes I was going to have in a long time...
Event warmup:

"Event WARMUP"?! There was an event, but there was no warmup...The conditions in town were far better than the conditions at the lake. The temps dropped, the winds increased and the rain turned into a rainy, sleet combo perfect for racing...The WTC couldn't have been expecting this. And if they did, shame on them for not protecting their athletes better...There was literally no cover. (I guess some buses were available, but no one was aware at the time.) We sat there in these freezing conditions, some of us for 3 hours, before the waves got started. The closest thing I had to an event warmup was putting on my wetsuit 2 hours before the race started to do my best to stay warm. It made minimal difference, but at this point, "minimal" was a God send...I took in a GU about 20 minutes prior to my wave start and it was like chewing on a steak cooked medium well...almost frozen.
Swim
  • 41m 38s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

There's nothing like waiting to get into that water while watching athletes getting pulled out left and right shaking uncontrollably. The first thought that came into my mind was, "Okay, what the f*ck are these guys experiencing that I'm about to experience myself?!" The start was like a bad nightmare...people sitting on the ground huddled into balls, dripping with water, shaking and even crying...I just wanted in that water. As far as I knew, that water was close to 20 degrees warmer than the air temps. Get me in there now!! I'll deal with how I feel out of the water afterwards...

Swim went well...Didn't go as straight as I wanted to, but that seems to be the theme with me. Between now and my next race I plan on getting my stroke analyzed and work with a coach on swimming more efficiently.

My goal was 40:00 and I just barely missed it...
What would you do differently?:

Ummmm...not get in??

In all seriousness, the water was pleasant.(relatively speaking) I put my hands in to splash my face and it literally felt warm...for a split second it was like I was taking a bath. After that split second, however, it felt like 57 degrees...I loved the amount of buoys that they had out there, but even with them out there, my sighting was below par. If I would have sighted more often, I would have been money...
Transition 1
  • 09m 21s
Comments:

Yes, you read that right...9:21 in transition!! Now, mind you, the run up to transition took a good 2 minutes, but this is still a long time to be in transition. I was very confused in transition...I was putting things on in the wrong order and having to pull them back off to get the right clothes on. At one point, I wanted to sit down, but the ground was too wet so I didn't...Meanwhile, I was soaking wet already, plus it was raining. Just a couple examples of my distorted thinking...

I decided that I would try to be as warm as possible on the bike...I put on an insulated t-shirt, arm warmers, a beanie and a jacket. The whole time trying to get my hands to work and my brain to function. I felt like I was only there for maybe 5 minutes...I can't even imagine what I was doing for that long.

Speed up?? Slow down?? Who knows? I could barely tell what I did let alone what I'd do differently...
Bike
  • 43m 22s
  • 13.6 miles
  • 18.82 mile/hr
Comments:

You know when you have one of those dreams that you can kind of remember vividly, but not completely? You can make out the environment or details of the dream, but there is no order or it's all kind of blurry? That is what my bike leg was like; I can remember some things with detail, yet there are parts of the course that I just don't have any recollection of at all...

I remember being very cold, but that's it. This was a terrible bike leg for me. It was mostly down hill or flat, the rain had almost stopped and yet I still only averaged 16.6 MPH over a 12 mile stretch. A low intensity training ride is usually faster than that and during my last OLY, I averaged about 21 MPH...My only guess is that the faster I went, the colder I got so I opted for an easy, slow pace instead.

My goal was to average between 18-19 MPH...next time, I suppose.

ETA: Ironman Boise adjusted the course distance which actually brought my avg. MPH to 18.8...a little closer to what my goals were after all.

A few athletes took off in their wetsuits, including Matty Reed who tied for first place. I suppose that would have been worth thinking about?? But besides that I'm not sure...I guess push harder? Ignore the cold? Think straighter?? I was really trying to stay as comfortable as possible. I didn't even accomplish that...
Transition 2
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

Well, not a fast transition, but I had a lot of clothes to shed. I was still numb and I was dealing with a "clean transition" for the first time ever...On top of that, I think I was still trying to get over what I'd just endured. After a quick drink, I was off to run...

Nothing...performed as well as I wanted to. Just glad to be done with the bike.
Run
  • 1h 52m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't expecting much from this run...I had missed weeks of running due to injury and even when I was able to get back to it my pace was slow and the mileage was kept to a minimum. It took me a while to feel my feet again, but I was running with high energy...The sun was out, (Go figure!!) my legs were fresh, and I saw my cousins right out of the chute cheering me on. I was finally having fun. About 1/2 mile into the race I saw my mother in the distance cheering me on...This was the first race that she was ever able to attend. She was beyond proud...It was as much her moment as it was mine and I acknowledged her moment by taking the time to go up to her, give her a big hug and kiss and thank her for being there. The seconds it added to my time will provide her with a lifetime of happiness and that makes it well worth it...

I also took a couple minutes to use the restroom...first time for me during a triathlon, but it had to happen. It was so bad that I was starting to cramp. Even then, I was arguing with myself as to whether or not I should stop to the point of me actually passing the porto-potty by about 20 feet before turning back. I kind of laughed at myself for making such an nonstrategic move, but I felt 100x better so it was worth it. Rest of the run went very well...I was trying to hold a sub 9/mile pace which for me is a fast half marathon pace. I was in pain, but it was an enjoyable pain and keeping things enjoyable was my main priority after such a brutal experience. I took advantage of all the aid stations (one per mile!!) and took in plenty of water, 'Perform', GU and Cola...The volunteers were GREAT!!

As I was coming into the last two miles a friend of mine says to me, "If you got it in you, turn it on, Jasen. You've only got 2 miles to go!". This lit a fire under my ass and I kept my pace in the low 7's for the rest of the race...I finished strong, finished happy and I finished WARM!! My goal was 2-2:10 and I finished in about 1:53. I'll take the one positive out what was otherwise a pretty miserable performance.

Nothing...My main goal was to enjoy this run and I executed that plan perfectly. I love Boise...It's where I grew up and the Greenbelt holds so many memories for me. This just added one more.
Post race
Warm down:

My good friend Jon, as well as my family and fiancee were all there waiting for me...I wrapped up in my foil blanket, grabbed some pizza and just hung out still trying to figure out how the day went...Eventually grabbed a beer, more pizza and a latte' to warm up my insides...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Do you really have to ask???

Event comments:

What can I say about a race that went from a 70.3 to a 26.3?? With all the training and all the money invested into this race, to say I was disappointed is a gross understatement. I've never experienced race conditions like this before, never pushed myself into such extreme elements, but that lingering feeling of failure will not go away...Could I have made it through the whole bike in those conditions?? Would all of my hard work produced the results I was hoping for?? Was my nutrition on Point?? These are just some of the questions that will never be answered...This was my first 70.3 attempt and I wanted to take it. I have to trust that the WTC were just saving us from ourselves. That the spirit of the the athletes participating would have put us in danger that we would have been too stubborn to acknowledge. Hundreds of those signed up didn't even toe the starting line. And out of those who did, many were pulled before they finished. (Including multiple Pros) But as much as I try to find sense of achievement, I'm finding it very hard to do...Next year, come rain, sleet or snow, Ironman Boise 70.3 is all mine!!

Last updated: 2011-10-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:38 | 2112 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 69/257
Overall: 0/1691
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vector PRO X3
Course: One loop, well marked at Lucky Peak Reservoir.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 57F / 14C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 09:21
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:43:22 | 13.6 miles | 18.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 87/257
Performance: Bad
Wind: Strong
Course: About an hour before the race got started they announced that due to low temps, high winds, and SNOW on the course they were shortening to bike leg to 12 miles. Basically, a straight shot from the lake to the city...
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:52:52 | 13.1 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 87/257
Performance: Good
Course: Beautiful 2-lap course along the Boise River on the Greenbelt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-14 4:14 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Boise

2012-06-14 10:40 PM
in reply to: #4262236

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Boise
Great job in the worst conditions ever!!! The weather was horrible and you should be really proud for getting out there, surviving, and then having a great run.
2012-06-14 11:16 PM

User image

Elite

What great attitude after what must have been a disappointing day. 

It's something we all dread - a year's training for a full IM to have it halved, or here to have the bike cut so drastically.  But hypothermia is a reality - and it's something you don't know you have at the time, so you could be cycling along all zoned out then black out and cause some kind of major pile up or even worse.

congratulations on a stunning run time!  I only dream of times like that!

Good luck for next year too.

2012-06-15 12:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
You did a great job just to finish that day.  Trust me I was there.  Also don't feel so bad about your bike.  I had 14.3 on my computer with that milage you wer emuch closer to your goal speed.  They changed the results page to reflect the change in milage on the bike.  Great race.
2012-06-15 1:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California

No failure, not at all.  A large part of the success for a 70.3 is signing up and making it to the start.  You did that, and took on the challenges of a very tough day.  You controlled what you could control.  Beyond that, well, its beyond our control.

My T1 was about the same time as yours.  I knew I was moving slowly, but wow, it was a shock for me to see that time!  I just chalk it up to being as cold as I ever remember, and having less than a sense of urgency, given the situation. 

Take pride in finishing, learn what you can, and onward to the next challenge!

2012-06-15 1:06 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

That was quite a day Jasen.  Glad you survived.

Oh, and I had 14.3 miles on my bike computer as well.

Edited by popsracer 2012-06-15 1:06 PM

2012-06-20 3:17 PM

User image

Veteran
, Arizona
I saw those photos of Matty Reed and thought they were a joke.  After reading this, apparently not.  Way to keep at it and finish.  That would be just miserable.  Sorry the whole thing got cut so short, that really is a bummer.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Boise Rss Feed