BTO Multisports
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 19m 50s
Overall Rank = 14/187
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/13
Pre-race routine:

Up early. Coffee and granola/soy milk at home. Drive to race, aiming to arrive at 6:30am when they started packet pick-up. See friends, chat, hang out, enjoy.
Event warmup:

Jog around the park, maybe 3/4 mile?
Swim
  • 6h 20m
  • 440 yards
  • 1h 26m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm usually a swim-slacker, and I haven't been training much this year, so I sort-of felt like I had to work this really hard. It was a wave start (3rd wave), so I placed myself at the front and tried to push hard from the get-go. I pulled away from the wave with one woman sticking with me. Made sure I got ahead of her. Right near the first buoy I started catching a previous wave, so it was harder to focus on swimming fast as I wanted to be aware of others. Tried to keep my pace. Rounded next buoy OK, and was also catching people from first wave. It was getting crowded!! Just kept pushing pushing pushing... nearing the shore, pushing, waiting for my hands to hit ground when BOOM!!!! I smacked into something hard. What the?? Was it a tree?? Collected myself to see it was a sawed-off pole -- crap! I also saw a pink swim cap in the area and wanted to make sure I beat that person, ha!! Up to the shore and into T1.
What would you do differently?:

Not smack the pole. Check for obstacles pre-race? This was a smaller race, so the finish area was just marked with one buoy. I was swimmming right in an effort to swim hard and not swim over people... Had I been closer to center I would have been fine. Rats.
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

As I exited the water, I heard a spectator say, "Oh no! She's bleeding!" Crap! Oh well, nothing hurt, so soldier on. People racked on either side of me where in T1 and commenting on my cut. One girl looked at it quickly, deemed me OK and took off. Another insisted I stop and clean up. She had spectator friends there who did not want me getting on my bike w/o a band-aid. And Porter (RD) was showing up with a band-aid too. I let the nice women squirt water on me and throw on a band-aid and went on my way. Told Porter I was fine.

Not have open wounds that needed assistance.
Bike
  • 46m 48s
  • 14 miles
  • 17.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I tried to push hard on the bike. After a few miles, the cut started to hurt a bit, and blood was pooling in my sunglasses. Ick. Uh oh. Tried to wipe it off and wondered how it looked. Tried not to think about it and push on. Wondered if I should stop, if I was being stupid. But I felt fine so I kept going and tried to push. Passed people, got passed a time or two. Chugged up the hills, cursing myself for being slow. Kept pushing! Made a plan to flag someone down heading into T2 so I could get some more band-aids before the run.

Not bash into a pole during the swim! Maybe push harder?? Initial glance at HR numbers seemed low, but they were sustained at a high rate (for me) for the duration, so I think I gave it what I had.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No T2 time -- timing glitch. Saw Leslie (medusa_ann), dressed as Wonder Woman, as I rode into T2, and I yelled at her to bring me band-aids. She was awesome and brought some big ones and I just had her put them on over the one I already had. Ready to run!

Not need band-aids.
Run
  • 24m 55s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to run hard, and wanted to average sub-8's. I took off and tried to push, not feeling awesome or fast, but like I was working hard and wanted to sustain that or build. Building didn't happen. I got passed a time or two, kept people in my sights and tried to focus, be strong, and just go. Didn't have a lot of go, though!! Worked it as hard as I had!

Nothing. Race more sprints to find that miserable place?
Post race
Warm down:

None, just had to tell my pole story again and again. Got wound cleaned by EMT. Got some chocolates. Hung out with friends. After I got home, I showered and cut was bleeding again. Husband checked it out, we called my mom (nurse), and everyone decided I should get it checked. So I spent the afternoon in urgent care getting wound cleaned, concussion eval, six stiches, and tetanus shot. Good times!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Head wound. :) And not racing a sprint for 2+ years. It's a different animal than an Ironman!

Event comments:

It was a great race and I love to see BTO Multisports out there doing their thing. Great job, Porter! Thanks!!

Last updated: 2012-02-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
06:20:00 | 440 yards | 1h 26m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 6/187
Performance: Good
Suit: Full sleeves
Course: Clockwise rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:46
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:46:48 | 14 miles | 17.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/13
Overall: 25/187
Pace from Garmin, as race results included T2 time...
Wind: None
Course: Moderate rolling hills, 2 loops.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:55 | 03.1 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 28/187
Course: Moderate rolling hills, one loop shorter than the bike course, around the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-23 6:55 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Dilettante Women's Triathlon

2012-06-23 11:03 PM
in reply to: #4277013

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Subject: RE: Dilettante Women's Triathlon
So you ran into a pole and still marked navigation as "good"?  At least there was no wind.  Congrats on the AG podium!
2012-06-24 2:51 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
swim slacker?  Can't tell by your time.   Great job on guts-ing it out after your encounter with the pole. 
2012-06-24 5:08 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
A 1:26 after knocking into a pole is slacking?  Woah!  Great job, blood, guts and all!
2012-06-24 9:54 AM

User image

Champion
marietta

gooooooood girl.  *pats on head*.

and yeah.. way to clean your glasses A WEEK LATER... gross.    :-)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dilettante Women's Triathlon Rss Feed