General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bristol, New Hampshire
United States
63F / 17C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 35m 3s
Overall Rank = 482/549
Age Group = M 30-35
Age Group Rank = 68/71
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am - took a shower, dressed and ate a big bowl of grapenuts. Walked the dogs and got my wife up. Loaded the car and headed out to Newfound at about 5:30. I even drove!
Event warmup:

Got marked by Jim from GSTC (it was nice to see a friendly face!). Racked the bike and set up transtion area. Noted that when you're doing a race in the rain a small tote would be the best. Did my best to keep my stuff dry but in the end it all got wet. Wiggled into my wetstuit and hung out near the fence with my wife while we got our race meeting and national anthems on. Then to the water where I got wet and paddled a bit before getting into the wave.
Swim
  • 37m 12s
  • 2000 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

This water was cold! My first 200 m were terrible - when I would put my face in the water I could not exhale and would come up gassping for breath. Couple that with my wetsuit which constricts my chest a little I was not a happy camper. Couple this with some small waves which were throwing me off. So I side-stoked for a bit trying to calm down. Finally I was able to start freestyle but keeping my head above water. Finally I was able to start swimming but breating on my right side only. On the final leg I finally calmed down and got into a groove. Sigh - if only the whole race was like this.
What would you do differently?:

Swim in the lake BEFORE the race. I don't know what happened but I certainly freaked out. Now I know!
Transition 1
  • 04m 40s
Comments:

Walked into T1 - I was dizzy after swimming. Not my best transition ever. Took some extra time getting suited up for the bike ride since it was cold and rainy. Ensured my comfort by putting on my bike jacket :)
Bike
  • 3h 13m 24s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.37 mile/hr
Comments:

I was pretty happy with my bike ride. Having not been on the course previously I only knew the course from my reconnisance ride the night before. There were a few steep hills that made me appreciate my compact cranks (Thanks Miles from MC Cycle!). I tried to keep my HR below 155 but whenever the incline pointed up I could hear the beeping. I had some problems with my glasses fogging at the top of Devil Hill. Not the best situation for sure: my glasses were fogged, the guy ahead of me was crawling, people were coming up on the left and I could hear the USAT motorcycle on my left. Oh well. The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful. I intentionally didn't keep track of my pace/time on the ride, just the mileage. I passed quite a few pepole on the hills of 104. I am sure that most of them passed me on the run :). Loop 2 was more of the same as loop 1 but not as crowded. I kept my pace and finished in 3:13 with a solid ride. Not bad for the longest ride of the year.

Ride the course. Put defogger on my glasses. Get some real riding in before another half race.
Transition 2
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

Fast T2 - stripped down, but on the fuelbelt, number shoes and ran (well jogged) onto the course.
Run
  • 2h 37m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m  min/mile
Comments:

I am not a strong runner - I have been targeting 2:20 for a half pace in my training.

Loop 1 was great. Ran to the first hill at mile 2 and powerwalked up it. Ran to the aid station after the turnaround and then walked up that steep short hill to back on to the main road and ran all the way back to the turnaround. Loop 2 was not so good. Strong first mile and then I started the "dead man shuffle" where I'd run/walk in 4/1 time (4 min run/1 walk). Except hills. Sadly I had to walk up those. I saw Tamela and David C. on the course. Thanks for the encouragement!! I continued the DMS until mile 12 where I ran the last mile on home. Funny how you can just keep powering through that last mile. Finished and was happy to get my medal!

Get more biking in. I felt strong on the first loop but just ran out of energy on the second one. My legs were pretty shot on loop #2. My mental toughness wasn't what it needs to be. Good practice for the timberman!! If I am looking to finish T-man under 6 hours I'll need to find a way to get a tad faster on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw my wife Dee and my father in law. Ate a hamburger, packed up the transition area and walked back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough bike base. Slow runner!

Event comments:

Compared to the Timberman last year this was a good race - while a bit slower I certainly didn't have the same base in as last year. Also I think that I nailed down my nutrition. My plan was to have 2 aerobottles of sportsdrink on the bike (InfinIT), 2-4 gels and a pack of Clif Blocks. For the run I had my fuel belt (gatorade) and gel. I also relied on flat pepsi for the last loop (and a cookie - I figure if I was shuffling I might as well have a cookie!). No stomach issues or muscle cramping like Timberman. I was much happier this time 'round.

Keith Jordan's races are second-to-none. Despite the crappy weather and the flooded transition area the race still went off without a hitch! He, the endorfun crew, the voluneteers, officials, lin-mark, the police, everyone did a fantastic job keeping us safe and allowing us to have a day of it at Newfound. My only complaint: I didn't get a towel! If that is the worst thing about the race then I think that things went very well!

My thanks to the people at the Granite State Tri Club who were volunteering and participating. You know who you are!!

Lastly, the race shirt is the best one ever. I highly recommend Keith's races! As Keith says, Rock On!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:12 | 2000 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 385/71
Overall: 549/549
Performance: Below average
Suit: QR
Course: Counterclockwise 1 loop swim.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:13:24 | 56 miles | 17.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 368/71
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loop course. Moderately hilly.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:37:13 | 13.1 miles | 12m  min/mile
Age Group: 538/71
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loop "rolling hills".
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-05 4:23 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance

2006-06-05 6:00 PM
in reply to: #443949

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance
Nice job out there - the water definitely took a little getting used to. 
2006-06-07 1:19 PM
in reply to: #444053

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance
no doubt.  Good work in Bristol yourself!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed