USAT Best of the US/City of Dexter
HotF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 19s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/23
Pre-race routine:

Drove to Roswell on Friday with Lobo and checked into our Hotel. We waited to hear from our Tri Group to caravan down to Dexter, NM to check in and swim the course. Since this was my first open water swim I was pretty anxious and nervous. After we checked in and got our chips and goody bags we changed and got into the water. The course looked small at first, but then I actually saw some people swimming and then it looked a mile long. I finally started swimming and tried to stay calm and so I would be able to swim it non-stop. I was swiming with Lobo, who is fast in the water and for his first open water swim he was flying through it! I was very suprised on to swim the whole course withour stopping and still had a lot of energy left. My confindence went through the roof!

Saturday morning we woke up at 5:30am and ate a bagel with peanut butter and a bannana. Went over my transition bag one more time, just to make sure. Then we prepared our accelerades and loaded the bikes and off we went to Dexter.
Event warmup:

We arrived at the lake and got our transition area set up and racked our bikes. We then went to get body marked, which is pretty cool to see if someone in your age group is in front of you so you can push harder for positioning. Lobo and I did about a half mile jog and then did some high knees and butt kicks to get the legs loose for the swim. The race director said for everyone to go to there assigned wave for the swim. We were in wave 4 out of 7. This was the first time I've every had a swim hat on, but it was kind of cool. The men and women went off on the same wave.
Swim
  • 12m
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Being in wave 4 we got to see the first three go off and this was pretty cool because a guy in the first wave set the time to beat with a 6:40 like swim. The waves went off every five minutes, so standing around for 15 minutes would usually seems like a long time but this time it went by FAST! Before I knew it my wave was in the water and listening to the countdown from 10...then bang, we were off. I started way out to the right of the line bouys, but before I knew it I was right next to the bouy with the majority of the wave in front of me, but that was ok due my goal being to do the swim without stopping. Before I knew it I was at the turn around and this is harder to do than I expected. I can see that practice would help here. I was in the last stretch and I was feeling great! At one time about 3/4 through the swim I thought...this is awesome, I'm swimming in a triathlon. I made the swim without stopping and got over the timing mat (up a hill from the water) at 12 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Go faster, but that will come.
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

After the swim I had dirt, grass, and weeds on my feet. So, trying to put on socks was not at great idea after trying to dry my feet and ...it was too much stuff to try and do. I finally got my socks on and shoes, helmet, glasses, and I was off over the timing mat.

Simplify things and try not to do too much in transition.
Bike
  • 35m 41s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 20.90 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew something wasn't right when I was averaging 23+ mph going uphill. I passed a lot of people during the bike and felt great until the turn around and this is when I found myself into a strong head wind! The Elite triathletes are amazing! These guys were pulling rings I can only imagine doing. This is were my new Syntace aero bars came in handy! I was still able to pass a lot of people while in the aero position. I did a Gu about 2 mies left on the bike to get ready for the run.

I would put my Gu in my tri short pocket instead on my BT singlet. The pocket on the siglet was way to high to get anything out of on the bike portion, but my Zoot tri shorts have pockets that would be easier to get to.
Transition 2
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

This transition was a lot faster and more efficient.

Nothing, I mean it went that well.
Run
  • 23m 44s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

My number belt wasn't clipped in all of the way and fell off after going across the timing mat and had to stop to put it back on. Lobo was ahead of me and I could see him but couldn't catch him. I passes a lot of people that were getting sick on the side of the road, probably from not hydrating enough. Did I mention that it was already very HOT at 9am. I caught Lobo and ran with him for a while and I was able to find some energy to push it a little bit more. At this time I could've pushed it a lot harder but I was running without my Garmin 301 and couldn't tell how hard I was pushing it or how much further I had to go. It sucks to rely on one piece of equipment like that. I finally could see the finish line and I heard another guy from our tri group behind me breathing really hard but coming up fast on me. At about 1/4 mile left he passed me and I was able to pace him, but everytime I would speed up he would to. So, I knew he was faster than me and he ended up beating me by 2 seconds. Next time I'll have to slide across the line.:)

I would trust myself that I could push it harder and learn what my pace is without my Garmin.
Post race
Warm down:

As soon as I crossed the finish the voluteers offered me a water, coke, or milk. I took a couple of the waters. I walked around and talked with Steve the guy who passed me on the run. Lobo finished soon after I did and we waited for everyone else from out group to finish and cheer them on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not knowing the course.

Event comments:

This was a great event and would want to do it again. I'm learning the techniques on the swim and everytime I've entered a race I come out with so much more from experience. I love this sport and it's awesome to a part of this community.

Last updated: 2006-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:00 | 547 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: The course was an out and back 250 meter swim in a catfish pond.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:41 | 12.43 miles | 20.90 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Headwind
Course: The course headed out from the lake onto a country road and was a little uphill, but not too bad. This is Dairy Country and a lot of Farm land to look at.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:44 | 03.11 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: The run went away from the lake and around the fish hatchery and back into the lake area. It was pretty flat but the majority of it was on loose dirt. It ended on a grassy area by the lake.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-05 10:00 PM

Albuquerque, NM
Subject: Milkman Triathlon

2006-06-05 11:46 PM
in reply to: #444336

User image

Expert
New Mexico
Subject: RE: Milkman Triathlon
Good job, it sounds like this sport agrees with you. I wish I had gone into my swim this weekend with the same confidence you did (report still in the works.)
2006-06-06 8:38 AM

Albuquerque, NM

Hey Desertsix, that race you did looks fun and I'll be looking for your race report. 

Edited by ABQkid 2006-06-06 8:39 AM
2006-06-06 2:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Another great race. Now that your swim confidence is coming around your going to start smoking these tris. I told Clay that you and Steve were coming after him at the next race. He just looked at me and loaded his trailer full of trophies. LOL
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Milkman Triathlon Rss Feed