General Discussion Race Reports! » MinneMan Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

MinneMan Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oak Grove, Minnesota
United States
OptumHealth Performance
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 35m 11s
Overall Rank = 71/144
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/13
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:45 and packed the rest of the car, had a PowerBar and about 15 ounces of water in route on the hour long drive. Did wake up in the middle of the night around 12:45 and had a PowerBar. Arrived at the site about 6:05 and didn't have to mess with parking becuase I train with Optum and had a reserved spot.
Event warmup:

Staked out my spot in transition and got setup. Went for a two mile bike and left shoes attached to the bike. Went on a 1/2 mile run with drills. Plenty of room in transition, the rack was half empty. Noticed during setup that the swim entrance and exit looked shallow for quite a distance into the water. Pulled on the wetsuit and got a quick warm-up in. I was able to determine that the first and last 50-75 yards of the swim was going to be dolphin kick for me, I am 6'7" so that put me at a little bit of a disadvantage. Water was perfect and I was hoping for a big swim.
Swim
  • 27m 38s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wetsuit legal. I have been swimming really well the last couple of weeks and should have pushed the start more. I let the rest of the pack get in front of me thinking that I was going to have to dolphin dive a bit further than everyone else. The decision caused me to miss the draft and the lead pack. Once I realised that the rest of the pack was moving slower, I got back on track. Unfortunately, at 250 yeards in it was too late to cat ch the elad group. I stayed on a consistent pace stuck between my age group leaders and the rest of the pack. No problem seeing the bouys and I sighted really well.
What would you do differently?:

I have been working really hard on the swim and with the drop in time per 100 I should have pushed it harder in the beginning to try and stay with the lead pack. Need to figure out what to wear for Lifetime which wont be wetsuit legal, will have to practice getting the tri top on wet and decide whether or not to swim with it.
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

A little bit of run out of the water to T1, I was supreised to see most of the bikes on the rack for my age group.

Run a little bit harder out of the water.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 16s
  • 26.6 miles
  • 21.49 mile/hr
Comments:

I left a little too much on the bike, but still got passed by 2 people from my age group. Struggled to get my shoes on the bike. Decided before the event after looking at the route out of transtion, two quick 90 degree turns that I would wait for the highway to get the shoes on. By that time I was already hauling at 22-23 mph, which made it a little interesting trying to pull on the shoes. Oly went off before the sprint on the same course, 1st lap only one person passed me and I spent a lot of time with no one around me. The section through St. Francis and the residential area by the golf course were a blast. 2nd lap ran into a bunch of sprint traffic, but everyone stayed on the right and I was able to pass on the left without a problem. Took two GUs and handle bar mounted water bottle, ran out of water with 3 miles to go.

Need to work more on bike power, legs got a little rocked on the ride. Need to add a water bottle to the back, to make sure I don't run out. Work on a pulling the shoes on faster, at 6"7" on a 60 cm tri bike it is a little bit of a reach to expect to pull them on at 23 mph.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

After the bike, I knew my legs were going to be throttled. I could feel it the second I hoped of the bike. Should have taken the time to through a pair of sock on. Luckily I had lfet a bottle of Brew in transition and was able to take a couple of swigs before I headed out.

Work more on the bike and take the time to put socks on.
Run
  • 49m 39s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs were worked, started the run at 7:35 hoping to negative split wach mile, but after the second mile I knew I wasn't going to be able to hold it. Plenty of water on the course, but it was hot. Tried to hold 8:15 mile pace and did a good job until the 4 mile mark. Ran the calcs in my head and knew I would be close to breaking 2:35 and tried to adjust my pace accordingly. Just couldn't get myself to go and it slipped backwards in mile 5. I did push it hard in the last 1/4 mile, but the damage was already done. Should have worn socks, got two bliseters on the left foot. One on the bottom along the outside sole that hurt like the dickens.

Need more bike power to hold the bike pace, especially if I want to be able to run afterwards. Put socks on in T2.
Post race
Warm down:

1 mile run - light stretching. Lots of water, the event had plenty and I ran to the car to grab some GU Brew I had in the cooler. Great Breakfast Burrito.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more training on the bike and continuing to build the running base, not bad for only 6 weeks of training.

Event comments:

Overall, a PR by 15 minutes in the Oly distance. Although, I was about 30 pounds heavier with the previous PR. Need to keep working on the bike and the run to get stronger. The swim was great and it was nice to see the times drop after all of the work that I have put in.

Last updated: 2012-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:38 | 1760 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/13
Overall: 78/144
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Revolution
Course: Counter clockwise triangle shaped course starting on the right to the first turn bouy, into the sun for the second side and back to the finish about 35 yeards down the beach from the start. Shallow beach area requires dolphin diving for about 50-75 yards.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:11
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:14:16 | 26.6 miles | 21.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/13
Overall: 64/144
Wind: Little
Course: Two loops on a flat course, the section through St. Francis and the residential neighborhood was a lot of fun and fast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:39 | 06.2 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/13
Overall: 85/144
Course: Two loops partial out and back, with the beginning of the out on the road and the back on the park trail. The first and last 1/2 mile are covered by trees. The middle section is the out and back on the road around the lake with little cover. Home owners were out cheering on the event and one setup a sprnkler that you could run through. Lots of water stations.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-07-01 11:19 PM

User image

New user

Subject: MinneMan Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-07-02 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4289765

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: MinneMan Triathlon - Olympic Course
Great job, that's an awesome PR!  I remember how shallow the swim is there, I bet you were dragging bottom for a long time as such a tall guy  
2012-07-09 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4290010

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MinneMan Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed