General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Macon, Georgia
United States
Georgia Multisports Productions, Inc.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 31m 25s
Overall Rank = 193/280
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 9/17
Pre-race routine:

After a restless night at the local Holiday Inn I woke to dress, pack the car and head to T0. Neither alarm clock went off which was a bit funny. I had plenty of time to get to the park. Ate yogurt and a bowl of oatmeal. Drove 10 min. to the site and proceeded to check in. This race was different for me since we had to check our bikes in the previous day. So you have to haul water bottles, pumps and packs, etc to the transition area and then everyone brings their pumps and stuff back to the car. It actually gave me something to do. I put on my iPod to block out the trance music sponsored by my coach that was blasting over the loudspeakers. I felt like I was in a spin class listening to that stuff. Set up area and went around to say hi to family, friends and club members.
Event warmup:

Really not much here. I had warmed up the previous day by swimming out to the second buoy and then biking the run course for familiarity. This AM, I just stretched a little and headed to the beach.
Swim
  • 52m 1s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Leaving the water was a bit of a pysch out. My first lap was measured and steady and while I'm not fast, I was pleased by my being comfortable in the water and just moving forward. My second lap was more problematic. I was struggling with navigation heading out to the first turn again. So subsequently, I wasn't trusting my directions and kept looking up only to find that I was swimming straight. It was frustrating because it makes you feel like they are moving the beach back on you. My open water swim anxiety was pretty much absent. I had confidence in completion.
What would you do differently?:

Need to focus on swimming more. Based on my placement, it is completely out of balance with the other events. Maybe some swim specific coaching is required here.
Transition 1
  • 03m 47s
Comments:

There was a HUGE run from the beach where T1 timing started to the actual area. It was through sand then steep uphill. Because I was in the last wave and swam slower than a brick by the time I entered T1 there was nothing left but some swim caps and a tricycle.

I guess I could've run through the sand but I wanted to get my HR in control and didn't start running until I got on solid ground. I was a little more measured than in an oly or sprint but I wanted to make sure I was setup for the rest of a long race.
Bike
  • 3h 15m 4s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.22 mile/hr
Comments:

Tough course that I rode with my coach about a month ago. That was a good move since it gave me some familiarity with upcoming terrain, wind, etc. I wasn't unhappy with my time. I do want to improve to 18+. Knowing that I was going to have a weaker run today I wanted to manage my energy properly. I would've liked to see some additional SAG locations. As the course progressed my liquids were getting low and while I finished without being dry, a little hotter and it would've been tough.

Knowing how this distance feels under race conditions, I can probably go faster and not hurt myself later. I've been doing a lot of strength training on spin bike and also getting in longer distance outdoor rides on a weekly basis.
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

This is my second race with getting out of my shoes prior to dismount. I like it. It would've been nice if the two racers in front of me had their coffee break on the other side of the timing mat though. After skirting them and getting into T2 I had a bit of a downhill run to the back of the area. I t'd quickly and the run exit was right at my end.

Not much. There was one bike next to me that I had to move a bit since they racked a little sloppy. But that really had no effect on my outcome.
Run
  • 2h 19m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis about five weeks ago so my training took a real hit in terms of running. I was concerned about this and not to be disappointed, when I started running out of transition my heel really was sore. My coach and I set up a strategy of run/walking with a 2 min. walk start followed by 5 min. intervals and 2 min. walks. It worked really well as I started passing people back around the halfway point. This was a slow half for me but the strategy helped keep my HR in check and my leg from acting up too badly. Around 11 mi mark my left calf started to cramp. With 2 miles to go I knew I would finish but I needed to hit my goal of 6.5 hours or better. I started drinking the Cytomax, probably more psychological than anything but I wanted to run down to the finish line. I did make it albeit gimping along. Time to heal!

Some of my friends have encouraged me to take advantage of the Cytomax. I normally run using water and e-gels only. Might not have enough potassium for my body. So next time, more of this. With the injury though, I was not unhappy with my performance. Trying to hit it hard could've cost me big at the other end. The strategy was right for this race.
Post race
Warm down:

Energice, water, diet coke, BEER. Sitting, talking, eating the dryest chicken breast sandwich ever cooked, more BEER. Shower, clean clothes, beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Definitely the foot injury (plantar). Swimming for sure. Also, inexperience at this distance probably held me back some. Next one will be faster.

Event comments:

I think this is a tough course. But the challenge is worth it. I would do this event again. Like to see at least one more stop on the bike course. Otherwise, all was good here. Also, was nice to have my brother and another training partner come down to cheer. Knowing you had a little fan base goes a long way.

Last updated: 2006-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:52:01 | 2112 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/17
Overall: 247/280
Performance: Bad
SLOW! My first lap around the pylon was @ 24 minutes. This was my goal as I wanted to be under 50 minutes for the swim. Somehow I managed to really slow down and add 4 minutes to the second lap.
Suit: Racing one-piece
Course: Triangle two loop course. You had to leave the water and run around a flag on the beach prior to starting second lap.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:47
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:15:04 | 56 miles | 17.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/17
Overall: 209/280
Performance:
Stayed around my LT as much as possible. Since my first tri at this distance I wanted to make sure that I didn't bonk because of bad HR management.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Hilly terrain with lots of wind at times. At halfway point it was all uphill for the next 20+ miles or so then a clockwise box around to the starting point. This course is notoriously hot but on this day the weather broke a little bit.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:19:16 | 13.1 miles | 10m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/17
Overall: 176/280
Performance: Good
Course: Really boring, hot course based on three out and back's. Well staffed and SAG'd with lots of support supplies.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-06 9:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon

2006-06-06 12:52 PM
in reply to: #444690

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon
Great job joe. If that time stands, then you beat both of JB's times on that course.  It was really interesting being able to spectate an event like this. I learned a lot just from watching everyone. Your transition times are improving dramatically. Maybe shoot for sub 6 at GC next year.
2006-06-06 2:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Smyrna

Joe - Awesome job on your first Half!  And on such a difficult course too.  Great to see that your open water swim anxiety was not present.  Also,  I have heard that you didn't like the double swim where you had to exit the water.  I completely concur on that with you!

Your lines about the 'swim caps and tricycle' and 'two racers on their coffee break' cracked me up.  You should have run straight into them and yelled out 'BLOCKING'.  That would have made a story.

Great way to push through your foot problems of the past few weeks.  Can't wait to race West Point with the group!  Nice job again.

2006-06-14 8:58 PM

New user

Nice job managing/pacing your race. It must have been tough trying to hold yourself back due to your injury. But in the end that enabled you to meet your time goals. I think you get demerits for coffee breaks in the transition areas. . . where is a ref when you need one?? Sounds like some work with a swim couch would do wonders, you should really look into this. Maybe your cheap wife will buck up some $$ for the training. I look forward to our next race together!
2006-06-15 8:44 AM
in reply to: #454755

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

yay deboras.. as a word, that almost sounds like a greek godess.  Now get some race reports up there and start posting away. Most importantly, use the training log every day. You will be amazed at what you learn about yourself. I'm adding you and homer to my buddy list and WILL be following your training blog.

Sorry for the hijack JS.. now, back to how cool it is that you did that tough race so well.

2006-06-15 9:17 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Great job on your race!  What did you think about the streatch between mile 10 & 11 on the run?  It was my worst mile.  No shade, uphill and no aid stations.

At least it wasn't killer hot like I heard it was last year.  But it was damn hot!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed