Trisport Canada
26C / 79F
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 40m 55s
Overall Rank = 13/32
Age Group = F0-39
Age Group Rank = 3/6
Pre-race routine:

In the days leading up to the race, I injured my soleus and was not able to do the running portion of the race. I registered on Saturday and switched over to the half swim-bike so that I could rest my calf muscle. My number one priority right now is making sure my calf gets better.
Event warmup:

Put on wet suit. Swim about 100 metres, seed myself in the pack.
Swim
  • 36m 15s
  • 2000 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had a good draft for the first couple hundred metres, but when it started to thin out I didn't have a good draft anymore. I though I had my watch set it auto-multisport, but it was in running, so it autopaused a few times when it lost satellite and my watch time was messed up from the start. I thought I had come out from the first lap at 16:29 and though I had come out of the water at 33:59 (swim time includes the run into transition) but my watch time was off from the official time by about 1 minute.

Swim was average for me. Based on the official time, I came out of the water around 35 minutes which is right where I have been in my half swims the last two years. I was hoping to take some time off. Meh.

Run to transition, 20 metres or so from transition I got a VERY PAINFUL reminder of my calf strain and had to hobble the rest of the way to the timing mat. Duing these final metres, I got passed by one of the pro women which made me feel good about myself! (at the half last year she beat me out of the water by a good 1:30.
What would you do differently?:

Walk to transition? I don't know whether I really would have done this though. I certainly should have if, as I say, my number one goal is recovery from my injury
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

Hobbling. Not much else to say here. I did okay at the stuff at the rack. Not as fast as I am capable of, but it was going to be a long hot bike, so I wanted to be comfortable. The hobbling though transition ruined my time.

This face says it all.
http://www.finisherpix.com/xtc/photocommerce_list.php?language=en&b...

Walk to transition? Not be injured.
Bike
  • 3h 02m 5s
  • 86 kms
  • 28.34 km/hr
Comments:

When it became apparent on Friday that my calf injury was serious, I went to talk to my coach. We agreed that I was going to not do the run and switch to the swim/bike. I was given the instructions to “Swim hard, bike harder. I want you to be DONE when you cross that timing mat.” So the plan was to settle into a good zone 2 pace for 2/3rds of the bike and start picking it up in the last 30 K. Really start picking it up in the last 10 K.

Kept with my race plan pretty well. As mentioned earlier I had messed up my garmin, so spent the first 5K or so in the run mode before remembering that I could manual switch it to bike. Did that, but then I lost my speed information from the first part and didn’t really know exactly where I was on the course or what the actual distance was. The results say 86 km. Based on where the 45 km sign was in relation to the turnaround, I thought more like 87? Oh well. The bike was short.

This was the first year since they switched the course. I think it was more challenging than before, but the last time I did it was 5 years ago, so my memory might not be right. This time the hills were longer, but I guess a lot of them were more gradual? Because of my calf injury I could not stand up on the bike, so I just grinded (ground?) up the hills. The first 10 K of the course had a few short steep hills, from 10-25km it was nice roads and fairly gentle terrain. From 25 km to the turnaround it was hilly with an overall elevation gain. The return into town was overall very fast.

At the end of the bike course I felt pretty good. Not in a lot of pain. Low zone 3. Definitely gave it a good effort, but I think I could have bike harder. Get off the bike. Hobble across the timing mat and turn in my chip. Very anti-climatic end to a race.

I was debating originally after I hurt my calf whether I should walk the run. There is no way I would have been capable of walking the course on Sunday. I hobbled to the ambulance/med tent trying my hardest to hold back tears (partly from pain, partly from the emotions of being injured with only 9 weeks left to Wisconsin. Hung out in the ambulance for a while icing my calf. Had to wait for post race food because they had to wait for the half finishers. Then had to wait again to be able to get back into the transition area to get my stuff.

been able to finish the race by not being injured.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

no T2 for me.
Run
  • 00m
  • 21 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

No run for me.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

calf strain

Event comments:

My goal going into the this race was to equal or better my half time from last summer. 5:59:xx but this course is much harder. I think I probably could have done that yesterday, but the bike was short. if the bike course was the correct length, I'm not sure I would have made it under 6 hours.

I can't say I was too torn up not to be out there running. The run course looked hot with no shade from km 5 to 20.

Last updated: 2012-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:15 | 2000 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 7/32
Performance: Average
Suit: ninetine riptide
Course: narrow two loop rectangle, short run on beach between laps
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:37
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:02:05 | 86 kms | 28.34 km/hr
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 22/32
Performance:
zone 1 through 3 depending on wind and terraine
Wind: Little
Course: New Course - Out and back to Pontypool. Course was apparently 4K short but I clocked it at more like 3 km short.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 21 kms |  min/km
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/32
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-07-11 5:08 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Peterborough Half Triathlon

2012-07-11 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4305091

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Peterborough Half Triathlon

I missed you again! You swam way faster than me and biked too - you're right - the run was really hot and that's even with the day being cooler than the whole previous week.

Great job on getting it done.  You did the right thing not running and still got in a solid training day.  Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peterborough Half Triathlon Rss Feed