Event Power
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 05m 6s
Overall Rank = 71/432
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 10/31
Pre-race routine:

I arrived early and racked my bike and dropped my bag and went to get my timing chip. They handed them out race day which added one more thing to do in the morning.

I went ultra simple in transition. Just my mat/running shoes/race number belt. Bike shoes where clipped on and I decided there was no need to struggle with socks today.
Event warmup:

It was hot and I needed to get in the water so after getting my suit on I jumped in and did a 10 minute warm up and then just relaxed in the water till the race briefing.
Swim
  • 11m 14s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

I lined up as far right as I could to try and avoid as many swimmers as possible. It was a great strategy but I still had to fight through a lot of people on the first 50 yards. The race has 2 waves and the first wave is over 200 people - it's just mass chaos.
What would you do differently?:

I did my best to stay clear of other swimmers but the start of this race is about survival and getting clear of other swimmers.
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Placed 16th overall in transition.

Only hiccup I had was I dropped my goggles and stopped to pick them up.
Bike
  • 20m 44s
  • 8 miles
  • 23.15 mile/hr
Comments:

I just put the hammer down and peddled. I wasn't holding back on the bike and it felt great!

This was a personal best for me on this course and fastest bike split I ever had.

One minor problem arose on the bike. I was using my camelbak bottle w/ the hydration tube connected. It's sort of a poor mans adaptation of the aero drink bottles. It's a hands free setup and I thought for the race it would be nice not to have to reach for a bottle. I've used this setup countless times.

I checked it out in transition during setup and I was able to suck water and I thought everything was fine. Well it wasn't. The straw in the bottle had gotten knocked out and I wasn't able to drink water.

A rookie mistake that shouldn't have happened. Had it been a longer race I would have fixed it. I was well hydrated before the race and figured I would drink on the run course. One thing the marathon taught me was how to drink on the run!
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Placed 39 overall. Smooth as silk.
Run
  • 30m
  • 3.5 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

It was hot and I was drenched with sweat by the time I got to the run course. I just saw my photos online and let's just say they bear proof to it being hot that day. Not a pretty picture to hang on the wall.

I was a bit off the pace I wanted.

I've struggled since my marathon to get back into running. My knee has been bothering me on the longer runs. And seeing as how I had killer bike leg I'm not surprised that my run was off.
Post race
Warm down:

Jumped in the bay as soon as I could. That was the only way to warm down from this one.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My overall run fitness was down.

Event comments:

They actually had some decent post race raffles so I hung out - didn't win anything though. Met a few friends after the race and talked about the upcoming races. What to do, what to do.........

Last updated: 2012-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:14 | 500 yards | 02m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/432
Performance:
Suit: Yes
Course: Out and back running parallel to the beach.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:19
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:20:44 | 08 miles | 23.15 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: A loop with some rollers on it.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:00 | 03.5 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: A loop with a few rollers.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-11 11:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Subject: Mighty North Fork Triathlon

2012-07-11 11:47 AM
in reply to: #4305874

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: Mighty North Fork Triathlon
GREAT RACE Adam!  Congrats!!!
2012-07-11 3:20 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Great race in extreme heat Adam!! Awesome bike split and the run would have matched on a better day temperature wise! 
2012-07-12 8:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Great race! Way to crush that bike!!
2012-07-12 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
FANTASTIC race, Adam!   Your simple approach to transition paid off, and your race execution (aside from the malfunctioning straw) was excellent.  After such a great bike split and being injured recently, your running may not have been exactly where you want it to be, but 8:30/mile is very good.  Super job, and congratulations again on a scorching bike split and great overall race (top 25% - whoo-hoo!!!!!)  
2012-07-12 11:32 AM
in reply to: #4307704

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

BHannahs - 2012-07-12 10:55 AM FANTASTIC race, Adam!   Your simple approach to transition paid off, and your race execution (aside from the malfunctioning straw) was excellent.  After such a great bike split and being injured recently, your running may not have been exactly where you want it to be, but 8:30/mile is very good.  Super job, and congratulations again on a scorching bike split and great overall race (top 25% - whoo-hoo!!!!!)  

Thanks Brian!

Last week was the most relaxed I've ever been before a race - it's about time since this was my 4th time doing this race!

K.I.S.S. - this was my approach for the race. It's just a sprint so my feeling was if I blinked I would be wasting time!

2012-07-12 7:04 PM

Congrats! This was my first tri, and you are an inspiration to slowpokes like me!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mighty North Fork Triathlon Rss Feed