Musselman Triathlon
~85F / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 26m 24s
Overall Rank = 158/~850
Age Group = M30-35
Age Group Rank = 24/65
Pre-race routine:

Got a good night's sleep. Woke up at 4:30, ate a couple of Wegman's popcakes with PB. Had to pack the room and checkout before the race so made a couple trips to the car and back. Used the bathroom then headed to the race site.
Event warmup:

Got body marked, set up my transition area (poorly), and went for a quick swim to test the waters and decide on the wetsuit. Also this helped to calm the nerves about the swim.
Swim
  • 38m 54s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

About the first 300 meters I struggled to find my stroke. Most likely due to open water nerves. After that I swam pretty well (for me). Navigation on the other hand was very poor. I found myself constantly trying to make the course longer. At least 3 kayakers had to back up so I wouldn't swim behind them. It was a little choppy, but it didn't seem to bother me.
What would you do differently?:

Practice open water navigation.
Transition 1
  • 03m 13s
Comments:

Had two issues. One was finding my bike. I did not think to walk the actuaol path before the start so I was a little lost. The second was pulling my jersey on. It got all rolled in the back and it took me a few seconds to pull it down.

Walk the transition area in the path I plan to take before the race.
Bike
  • 2h 51m 19s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.61 mile/hr
Comments:

I am pretty pleased with this. The thunderstorms kept me on my toes. some of the course was chipseal and/or unimproved.
Nutrition: left T1 with 16 oz of gatoraid and 24 oz of water. Drank both over the course of the race and took a water bottle from each aid station. Ate one gel at start of bike and continues to have one every half hour.

I forgot to leave my riding glasses in the transition area, so I had to do the whole ride without. Wasn't too much of an issue, a couple close calles with some bugs and the rain wasn't pleasent but manageable.
Transition 2
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

Although I remembered I had my sunglasses in the transition bag at around mile 40 of the bike, I forgot by the time I got here. No sunglasses for the run either...

Thanks to whichever volunteer covered my running shoes with my wetsuit in an attempt to keep them dry during the t-storms. This was a really nice surprise when I got back in!

Remember things better. Leave an extra gel or two to start the run.
Run
  • 1h 50m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

When i started out I looked at my Garmin and saw 7:50 and said to myself "This is way to fast." I ended up hovering between there and 8:30 for most of the run. I waled for a few seconds at each rest stop starting at the third. this was to actually get water and victory flavored HEED into my mouth. I took a water and HEED at each rest stop and had a gel somewhere along the way. The last 2 miles hurt, but I managed to convince myself to keep going despite sore legs and being very tired.

I walked in most of the rest stops and for a minute on the gravel hill at mile 7. Next time I will try not to do that.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with kel and the kids (my cheering section). Took the pee I had wanted to since mile 40 on the bike. Drank some, got some food, tried to keep the legs moving and not cramped.
went back to the finish and cheered people in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I did very well for my ability/training.
In 2010 when I did this race before i completed it in 6:48:02.
My goal this year was to break 6 hours.
My super secret, everything goes well goal was 5:30. I beat both. I couldn't be more pleased.

Event comments:

This is an awesome race. The director and volunteers put on a great show. A lot of the town comes out and cheers people on during the run.

Last updated: 2012-01-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:54 | 2112 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 34/65
Overall: 266/~850
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Out into the lake, two left turns into the channel then out a boat ramp. Light current into the channel
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:13
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:51:19 | 56 miles | 19.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/65
Overall: 212/~850
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Big loop between the two laked. Rollers with a couple steeper climbs.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:50:12 | 13.1 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/65
Overall: 145/~850
Performance: Good
Course: Loop through the toen of Geneva down west side of lake.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-07-16 10:04 AM

User image

Rochester, NY
Subject: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

2012-07-16 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4313483

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon
Great race Pete!  Congrats on beating all of you goals in conditions that were less than optimal!!
2012-07-16 12:39 PM
in reply to: #4313483

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon
Nice job!  Apparently HEED does taste like success!  I also kept trying to make the swim longer.  Glad someone covered your shoes... 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon Rss Feed