General Discussion Race Reports! » Caesar Creek Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Caesar Creek Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Waynesville, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 30m 1s
Overall Rank = 61/192
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/23
Pre-race routine:

timed this perfectly - pickup packet,bathroom,get bike and gear into transition,stand around,swim a bit,have some water,start the race. No rush or hurry at all. They announced the water was wet suit legal at 76*

*If you subtract 4 degrees
Event warmup:

couple of strokes in the lake
Swim
  • 23m 48s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well a couple of things: I dont think it was cold enough for wetsuits but I had my sleeveless so I wore it. Maybe half of the field wore a wetsuit so that probably made me seem faster comparatively. I thought I had a good swim but not at this level ( quite a PR ). I think the course was a wee bit short.
What would you do differently?:

I will take a PR any week
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

suit got stuck on ankle with timing chip. Ended taking off chip, then the suit, then putting the chip back on.

go faster - I spent almost 3:30 min in transition (T1/T2) - that is being a little too calm
Bike
  • 1h 12m 44s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.50 mile/hr
Comments:

a marginal improvement over my OLY earlier this year and this race from last year (although it was a different course). Felt pretty good the whole way, just dont have a lot of biking hours in yet this year. Worked with just a bottle of water and one gel. Hopefully with some more hours I can get back up above 21mph for Sylvania in a month. Course was fun with some uphills and long sustained downhills

not much , did OK compared to me
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

not sure what took me so long here. I did put on socks but everything else was pretty quick
Run
  • 50m 5s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

well poop. Good swim and bike and crapped out on the run again. This time is almost 5 minutes off my personal best at this distance. The sad thing is I felt good coming out of T2 and I was passing lots of people. I started to feel gassed around 4 miles but still kept running. I did stop to get a drink at the 3.1 turnaround , that was a mistake - warm well water. Hard taste to get out of my mouth.

Although I have lots of time invested in running this year , I havent had a run over 7 miles in 6 weeks. I know I have the speed but endurance (such as running after a 25 miles bike ) is lacking. Hopefully I can get the long runs back up to the 90 minute range soon.
Post race
Warm down:

come across the finish line and walk around looking for something cold and failing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

run endurance

Event comments:

saw fellow BT'er Roywidget - somehow he identified me - must have been my sparkling personality (or the shirt with bananas on it)

overall a good race with a PR swim , a decent bike and a crappy run. Good measuring stick for triathlon fitness. Close to an overall PR on this course.

HFP - kudos for not being transition police like at Deer Creek. With the Girls Tri Too going on at the same time they kicked us out early at Deer Creek. This time they allowed us to stay with reminders to stay out of the way
HFP- boos to you for nothing cold anywhere. It was cooler than expected for the race , could have easily been 10 degrees warmer if the sun wasnt behind clouds. They had no ice anywhere, even at the finish. No cold drinks, only air temp well water and heed. I watched a woman fall down and throw up being attended by paramedics (some mild heat exhaustion) - the only thing they could treat her with is ... air temp well water. This is both a safety concern and a my money concern. HFP has cut some corners this year and it shows. The race itself is still good but the backend really needs some work.

Last updated: 2012-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:48 | 1640 yards | 01m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/23
Overall: 45/192
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course: a weird double loop trapezoid
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:44 | 24.85 miles | 20.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/23
Overall: 73/192
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: double loop with some longer uphills and downhills
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:50:05 | 06.21 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/23
Overall: 60/192
Performance: Below average
Course: out and back and out and back along an earthen dam
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-07-16 5:56 PM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: Caesar Creek Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-07-16 10:34 PM
in reply to: #4314725

User image

Veteran
Northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Caesar Creek Triathlon - Olympic Course
It was definitely the sparkling personality! Cool  The shirt just helped.  It was great to meet you.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Caesar Creek Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed