United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 17m 58s
Overall Rank = 213/1017
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 35/103
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4am to drive up to the race course. Showered, ate about 400 calories (bonk breaker bar, gu and some gu chomps). Got the transition set up and settled with about 30 minutes before my wave start.
Event warmup:

Mostly just some stretching and loosening up my shoulders for the swim. I have plenty of time to warm up on the course...
Swim
  • 32m 49s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is my best 1.2 mile swim to date. Everything just felt good. Apart from slowing a few times to work my way through traffic and 1-2 times to check my Garmin as a time reference I swam the whole 1.2 straight through. Comparing this to the swim at Boise where I came out of the water 96 in my age group (45+ min) I couldn't ask for anything better.
Transition 1
  • 03m 13s
Comments:

Transition went pretty smoothly... I would have liked to had a slightly more organized transition area, but considering this was only my second tri, I felt pretty good about everything. No major issues, just need to speed things up a little bit.
Bike
  • 2h 50m 40s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.69 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike seemed pretty solid. As I mention below, I needed more time training in hills, but it was definitely not a bad day by any means.
What would you do differently?:

Ride hills, ride hills, ride hills. I just didn't have enough time on the hills. Considering this was not my A race, or even on my calendar until the Boise mess.
Transition 2
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

Kicked one of the shoes off the pedal as I jumped off. After picking up the shoe the transition went really well.

Taken my feet out a bit earlier on the bike. Getting them out in the 30 yards approaching the dismount line was less than stellar and one shoe slipped off the pedal.
Run
  • 1h 48m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

My morton's neuroma (both feet) was a total mess. I never planned on running 3 HM (Boise, Seattle RnR and now Lake Stevens). Prior to Boise I got a cortisone shot in both feet to keep the issues in check. I definitely should have gotten them again a few weeks before Lake Stevens. I could hardly put any weight on the front of either of my feet. Energy wise, I felt like I had more to give but having it feel like a nail was running through the middle of my feet definitely slowed me down. I did break down and pee while running because the 3 different times I passed an aid station the port-o-potty was occupied. That was a little awkward, but I got over it really fast.

Cortisone shots before the race... This will be solved later in the year when I have surgery on both feet to have the problem nerves removed.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

See my run comments... The only other thing that would have helped was more time riding hills on the bike. Training for Boise had me comfortable riding about 70% of the elevation gain of Lake Stevens, but I can always use more.

Last updated: 2012-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:49 | 2112 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 35/103
Overall: 233/1017
Performance: Good
1:41/100's
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro
Course: Great swim course. There is a waterski buoy line underwater that works very well to keep on track. This limits the need to sight dramatically.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:13
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:50:40 | 56 miles | 19.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/103
Overall: 176/1017
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly, plain and simple. Honestly even the "flat" parts seemed to be up or down. There are some great descents on this course. At one point I hit 55mph according to my Garmin.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:19
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:48:57 | 13.1 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 35/103
Overall: 213/1017
Performance: Below average
My HR was a bit low for my normal run pace after a long bike.
Course: A couple of hills throughout the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-17 12:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens

2012-07-18 11:50 AM
in reply to: #4315192

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens
Looking forward to focusing on bike and swim over the next few months before my foot surgeries... I had a pretty quick increase in run fitness so I should be able to bounce back pretty quick.
2012-07-19 1:12 AM
in reply to: #4318077

User image

Regular

Hopefully one of these races we can actually meet. you had a great swim and bike.  too bad your run didn't go as well as you liked.  

I think I will do lake stevens next year.  I only hit 46.25 per my bike computer.  But next year watch out as I just bought me a tri bike tonight felt b16 vs my old specialized allez though not a bad bike by any means.

Take care.

trevor

2012-07-19 1:55 AM
in reply to: #4319351

User image

Extreme Veteran
spie34 - 2012-07-18 11:12 PM

Hopefully one of these races we can actually meet. you had a great swim and bike.  too bad your run didn't go as well as you liked.  

I think I will do lake stevens next year.  I only hit 46.25 per my bike computer.  But next year watch out as I just bought me a tri bike tonight felt b16 vs my old specialized allez though not a bad bike by any means.

Take care.

trevor

Thanks. It wasn't a great run but I'm very happy overall. I mean, I just finished one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life. 7-8 months of training and countless hours tied to pushing myself to new limits. Sure sub-5 wa my goal, and if I put together a solid race, I know it is there, but finishing is the most important thing. Congrats on the new bike, I'd be stoked. I'm looking at picking up a DA3 soon and really plan to focus on serious bike miles between now an next year. A second opinion from a different doc had me thinking about surgery. I may adjust my training, shoes and running style to see if that can prevent the need to cut out the neuromas.
2012-07-19 9:02 PM
in reply to: #4319360

User image

Regular
Yeah go get a second opinion. Use surgery as last option.  So did your brother do the race as well? I know you were pushing to beat him in Boise.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens Rss Feed