United States
Racine Multisports
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 68/284
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/8
Pre-race routine:

Left house at 4:30. Picked up a coffee, a cliff bar and a massive bottle of water at 7-11. Realized I had frozen my water bottle too high and I couldn't get the top on, so I defrosted it in the cup older on the way to the race.
Event warmup:

Set up TA, put bag and stuff back in car. Ran about a 1/4 mile and then stood in a long line waiting for my turn to start the swim.
Swim
  • 06m 22s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim, but I should really have seeded myself higher. I know I gave up time waiting to pass, but I'm not sure how much. I'm also sure I gained time with sprinting to pass people... I have no idea what the net was. I estimated my swim time at 7:00 and finished in 6:22, so I was the d-bag in this case, although some of the people I passed started more than a minute and a half ahead of me. It was chaos towards the end as everyone got bunched up.

ETA: below 2:00/100yards in a race! Hell yea - didn't realize that. Check one goal off the list!
What would you do differently?:

Seed myself better and swim a little harder for the last 100yds instead of getting stuck in traffic.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

My time was 1-2-3. That's cool. no wetsuit made things easier, although I'll be quicker still when I don't have to put on a t-shirt. Tri-top investment coming soon.

Leave shoes on bike. I can do the quick mount in practice, but without anything to stabilize them they pop off. I need some rubber bands.
Bike
  • 37m 41s
  • 11 miles
  • 17.51 mile/hr
Comments:

I failed one goal to get my HR under control at the start of the bike. I had it pegged around 170 for most of the ride, although I did manage to relax towards the end. I only got passed once on the bike (and that dude was on a fancy tri-bike). I kept my cadence between 80 and 90 and allowed myself up to 95 for downshifts on hills. The big ring and the wide rear cassette make for some big jumps between gears, but most of my training rides and the rest of my tri's are on hilly courses, so I'm not changing it this year.

Drank one full bottle of water and never got to start on the second. Was aiming for 1 and a half.

Learn to soft-pedal better. It seems like I'm always pressing hard during a race and the Oly and HIM are going to require more of this. Also drink more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Stretchy laces here I come.
Run
  • 27m 17s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my weakest performance ranking-wise and I was it with the side stitch again, although not nearly as badly as in the past. I think it's just a cramp and needs to be dealt with the same way. I had the beginnings of a cramp in my calves, but it went away after the first half a mile. The stitch was on and off all throughout. I drank some water at the mid-way point from an aid station and that seemed to alleviate it some, although I walked to get the water down, so that may have helped too. My pace was VERY consistent - 4:30-4:38 every half mile until the last two, were I hit 4:15 and 4:someting else. Enjoyed the negative split and I kept my HR in the lower 170s for most of it. I'd prefer to get it into the high 170s for the first half and the low 180s for the last mile or two but I was limited by the stitch.

Best tri run performance to date in terms of how it felt, just need to figure out how to be better hydrated at that point on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a water and a cold towel at the finish. YES PLEASE! Wandered around, used the bathroom and left pretty quickly - I had another commitment to get to!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training and a side stitch. Time in the sport too, but I'm not pulling the rookie card.

Event comments:

Very well organized, ran on time. I knew what was going on at all times and they had everything we needed for a safe and fun day. If I need another mid-summer tune up next year, I'll definitely be back!

Last updated: 2012-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:22 | 328 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 54/284
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Seprantine pool swim - up and back in the same lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:23
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:41 | 11 miles | 17.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 72/284
Wind: Little
Course: Loop. Flat first half, some steep but sort rollers and speed bumps on the second half.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:17 | 03.1 miles | 08m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 87/284
Course: out and back, almost a complete loop back to transition, then back around the loop in the other direction. Short but steep rollers on the early portion.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-07-23 9:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD
Subject: Hagerstown Sprint Triathlon

2012-07-23 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4325164

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Hagerstown Sprint Triathlon

Good job.

I think your swim time was probably even faster than you listed, as they took times upon entering transition. I timed myself at 6:08, and my official time was listed as 6:40, with the official T1 time correspondingly shorter than I had recorded. So your swim time was probably somewhere around 5:50.

2012-07-23 9:54 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
GREAT race..congrats.  your swim time is FANTASTIC!!!  yes, you need to be in the front of the pack!
2012-07-23 10:49 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
John congrats on a really good race. Your swim time was great and it sounds like you had a great run as well with the exception of the side stitch. Once you get that figured out you should be able to push harder on the run and you're times are going to improve.
2012-07-24 4:48 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Great race John!

It sounds like you had a very solid well planned race.  As far as where you placed yourself in the swim, I think you did the right thing by placing yourself in the behind where you thought you might be.  I have been to several races where it is VERY obvious who the liars are.  They are the ones who create the congestion in packs because they don't have the swim fitness to stay at the front but they want to get out front and finish the race sooner.  All it does is causes a lot more smacking and slapping and beating on people.  I would say keep yourself slightly back and don't be "that guy" that is up front getting the trash kicked out of himself because you don't have the speed as others.

Your bike and run times look really good and as you gain fitness you most certainly will be moving away from the MOP and toward the FOP.

As far as your drinking goes, I think it sounds like you are drinking to much for these shorter events.  You mentioned that you were targeting 1.5 bottles of fluids over a fairly short sprint race.  I suggest you target less than 1 full bottle.  For instance, in m race this weekend I had about 2/3 of a bottle on the bike and took nothing on the run.  I would even argue that what I took on the bike wasn't "required" but made me comfortable and without a dry mouth or throat.  Now I did get s stitch over the last mile of the run but that is because I push my runs hard and I know it will happen each race in this same area because I know how hard to push over the whole race.  Next sprint try to decrease your targeted fluid intake and see what happens.

You had a great race and a great AG podium!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hagerstown Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed