Racine Multisports
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 55m 19s
Overall Rank = 3/296
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at my Uncle's house in Mt Airy the night before to reduce the drive the morning of. Got up at 4:30 to get out of the house by 4:50. Drove to the site and parked. Of course, chose poorly about where to park, and knowing that they wouldn't let you into transition without checking in and getting the wristband, I parked about as far away from check in as possible. Walked to packet pickup, and got to transition as quick as I could. Unfortunatly got a pretty crappy transition spot, but it didnt hurt to bad. It was near run out, swim in side, so a long distance to run with the bike, and on the outside of the rack near the edge of transition. Got set up (with a lot less time than I wanted) and headed out to warm up.
Event warmup:

Took the bike for a quick spin. I like to do this to ensure that the gears are all functioning, and no brake rub or anything. This was my first race with FLO wheels, so I wanted to make sure everything was good. When I got back to transition, a bunch of people had moved my stuff and put their bikes all over. Really the only problem that they had was that their bikes were backwards (bike on one side of the rack and transition on the other) so I tried to explain nicely that if they turned around their bikes, we would all be ok. They got mad and just left. Oh well. Re-racked bike, grabbed swim stuff and went to the bathroom line. One of the things I hate about time trial swim starts is that it is nearly impossible to warm up. I got off the bike nearly 45 minutes before I was scheduled to start, so you are going to be fully cooled back down by the time your start comes around. To make matters worse, we couldn't warm up in the pool. So it boiled down to just doing some stretching in line and a bunch of arm rotations. After the Elite's were allowed to go, and then the relays, they started the age groupers. I was about 20th in line to go out, so there wasn't too much time.
Swim
  • 04m 58s
  • 328 meters
  • 01m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

ok, this swim went pretty awesome.... Swimming 3 days a week has really helped out a ton. It must have looked fairly amusing while we were all lined up, because I was sandwiched between 2 high school girls, and a 14 year old guy behind me... Anyways, I waited for my time to go, and took off with a big push from the wall. The water was super choppy with that many people in the pool at once, so it was actually more like open water breathing, so a little extra rotation, and all was good. Thought I was making pretty good time, but at about the 200 meter mark, felt my toes tapped and let a 14 year old by me. That kid was flying. Managed to hold onto him the last 100 and fairly uneventfully finished up and got out of the pool.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I swam faster then my seed time, the pool work has really helped me, and I feel soooo much more confident in the water.
Transition 1
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

includes 20 seconds of swim time for running out of the pool...

2/285 Overall.

This went really smothly actually. Ran to the bike, got my helmet and clear sunglasses on, and took off. I decided to forego socks for the first time ever in this race, and it worked out really well. Ran with the bike to the bike out, and executed a great flying mount and was on my way.

nothing. Started getting a real good feel for fast transitions now.
Bike
  • 29m 8s
  • 11.47 miles
  • 23.62 mile/hr
Comments:

The steed for this race:

Am I allowed to be disappointed with having the fastest bike split? A couple things went wrong during the leg that certainly cost me some time. First as a by product of doing this race without socks, I learned your feet pick up a lot more crap on them then with socks on. I got a rock into my shoes when I mounted the bike and in the process of fiddling with it (during the big, 3 mile gradual downhill) I completely undid the strap of the shoe. It took me about a mile of screwing around with it to get it fixed, during which I was only going about 20 mph instead of 28-29. So there was a little bit of time lost. As the course ran around, I was actually really relaxed and didnt force the issue at any point. I passed everyone that started in front of me on the bike, and was all by myself for the first time in any race. I felt like the bike handling was good. There was a bit of gravel on the back side of the course, and a few good turns. By the time we turned onto industrial, I couldn't see anyone. Headed back to transition (and by the one elite rider who got a flat) and in the last 3 miles caught up to a bunch of the relay teams. Turned to get back into the park and as I got closer to T2, got the feet out of the shoes.

Push more.... left time out there. Not fuddle around with the shoe for the first 1/10th of the damn course....
Transition 2
  • 00m 25s
Comments:

3/285 Overall

So the only two faster than me had 0:24 times. Considering the crappy rack position, I'll take it.

Not much to improve on here..... I would have left my sunglasses there instead of wearing them.
Run
  • 19m 55s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Decided to forego socks again, another first for a race. Made T2 very quick. Took off running and tried to keep my first mile in check. By this time, I was ahead of all the Age Groupers and was past about half of the relays. It was a new feeling being at the extreme pointy end of the race, which meant it was purely up to me to push the pace. There was no one to try and bridge to. Consequently I thought I was going way slower than I was. The small but steep hills at the beginning ate into me a little bit, but as I got onto the flat section on the back of the course, I felt my pace increase a little. After the turn around, I got to the 2 mile mark, and was starting to feel REALLY good. I picked up the pace and started seeing the people behind. With about a quarter mile to go, I went even faster and crossed the line.

Splits: Mile 1: 6:22
Mile 2: 6:43
Mile 3: 6:13
Last 0.1: 0:34

Hmmmmmm run harder in the middle. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how this run went.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, and wait for the next AG finisher. A slight jog while waiting for my brother and CO to return from the bike.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental mistakes. Don't screw up the shoes on the bike, and push harder on both the bike and the run. I approached this race with the goal of it being a tune up for Nations Tri in September, and I think I got a good data point as to what I need to improve upon.

Event comments:

Pretty awesome little race. Well run and on time, and really organized. A bit farther than I like to travel, but it was pretty awesome little race. I will definitely consider it for next year.

Last updated: 2012-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:58 | 328 meters | 01m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 23/296
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Snake swim, 300 meters
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:53
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:29:08 | 11.47 miles | 23.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 4/296
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:55 | 03.1 miles | 06m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 6/296
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-23 1:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Subject: Hagerstown Sprint Triathlon

2012-07-23 2:54 PM
in reply to: #4325956

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Hagerstown Sprint Triathlon

Very nice work on winning the open division! And good that you were seeded far enough ahead that you knew that you were leading the AGers. I think I must have passed you around the back of the run course (going in the opposite direction, of course), but it was impossible to tell that I was seeing the race leader, due to the time trial start and the remnants of the elite/relay divisions that I also saw out there. 

I am amazed by how quickly you got through transition -- very impressive. And those wheels look pretty darn sleek, too.

2012-07-23 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4325956

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD
Subject: RE: Hagerstown Sprint Triathlon
I saw you head into transition as I was waiting in the potty line - striking bike in person! Good race man, congratulations on the great finish. If I can offer a tip about the stones - I have a towel in transition I wipe my feet on to dry off the bottom a little it reduces pickup on the way out of the TA. Nothing fancy . I stand on it while I dress for the bike. You were also first in my AG - I was third by about 25 minutes!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hagerstown Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed