Aurora, Colorado
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 38s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Relay
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Couldn't sleep last night - never seem to sleep well the night before a race. Rolled out of bed about 5:15, made myself a bagel and a cup and tea, and made sure I had everything we needed to race. Figured out had to do do the multisport thing on my garmin - although I still don't think we did it correctly. I was doing this as a relay - I did the swim, my hubby did the bike, and my daughter did the swim. I wanted to use it as a test run for an open water swim in a race since I have NEVER done one of those before, and and only been in the open water once in my wetsuit earlier in the week - for about 15 minutes.
Event warmup:

Walked from parking lot to transition - got my wetsuit on half way - which is a workout all by itself, and then headed down to the swim start to check out the swim course. Talked a little with Jen (numberswomen) and a lady from my tri class - I wasn't really nervous which surprised me a lot.
Swim
  • 19m 55s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my very first OWS - and it was an experience. I put myself (and rightly so) in the novice wave. I started sort of to the front and left side. Started out doing freestyle during the washing machine start - and surprisingly, it didn't bother me to be hit and bumped. All was pretty good until about 200 meters out when I caught a big mouthful of disgusting lake water and thought I was going to feed the fish my breakfast. After that, I couldn't get into any kind of freestyle rhythm, and relied on some breast stroke - and yes - I'll admit it - a lot of elementary backstroke. The funny thing is, I was passing people when doing the elementary backstroke - only bad thing - ya can't see where you are going so I went off course a LOT!! Discovered also that it is hard to do breast stroke with my wetsuit on - whenever I flipped over to see where I was going, it felt like I was standing still. Began having thoughts of "What have I gotten myself into - and have I just totally gone crazy - Why am I out here?? - but after I reached the big red bouy, I could see that there was an end in sight, and I was indeed going to survive. My breathing was a little better, so I rolled back over and threw in some occasional freestyle. When I hit the first hint of sand, I stood up - and immediately had a sense of relief and accomplishment! I let the wetsuit stripper unzip me, and I began to walk/run up the small hill to transition. Saw a lady from my triathlon class (who was in my wave) on the hill into transition as well - She was one of the weaker swimmers in class - so my feelings of elation quickly faded - knowing that she made it out of the water before I did. I picked up the pace, passed her on the hill and passed my chip off to Jay.
What would you do differently?:

My sighting was awefull (hard to sight going backwords) and my total lack of experience swimming in the open water with my wetsuit was really a hinderance to my performance. I'm going to try and do some of the dip and dashes at Aurora rez later this summer before my next tri in August - to try and get this monster under control.
Transition 1
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

I was a little disoriented taking the chip off and handing it to Jay - but somehow got it done. Since there were no shoes to put on and no bike to run out with (since my leg was over) - I just cheered Jay out of the transition area and went to find a good place to keep an eye on the course so I could see him come in. Met Zev who was there to check things out! Nice to meet you Zev, and talked a little bit with Matt (blackbud) who was out there supporting Jen (numberswoman).
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - since this was just a relay.
Bike
  • 43m 48s
  • 13.67 miles
  • 18.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Jay did this and had a good time - considering he didn't train at all - as I kind of coerced him into doing this with me earlier in the week.
Transition 2
  • 00m 33s
Comments:

Jay and Jessie passed off the timing chip and Jessie was on her way out!
Run
  • 24m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Jessie did this portion - She is usually pretty fast - but since track ended middle of May, hasn't really run at all. She said it was hot - and wasn't happy with her performance - I just know that she ran faster than I ever could!
Post race
Warm down:

None - unless you consider standing around flapping my jaw as a warmdown.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm slow - and ok with that - I'm a 43 year old mother of five - and it is going to take awhile to make this body perform the way I want it to. But - I think being out there is more than half the battle.

Event comments:

Cold pizza - yuck - not my idea of good post race food - but they had plenty of drinks. I didn't win any door prizes or catch any of the water bottles - but had a good time - spending the morning with my hubby and my daughter.

I've uploaded some pictures to this race posting and will put a few more in my album.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:55 | 800 meters | 02m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Looking at the swim time in the race results - and I didn't do as badly as I thought.
Suit: Ironman Instinct full
Course: Triangular - going clockwise - bouys to the right. It was had to spot the two bouys marked with balloons - yes small balloons - from the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:41
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:48 | 13.67 miles | 18.73 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:33
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:39 | 03.11 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-06-10 5:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Subject: Tri the Creek Sprint Triathlon

2006-06-10 5:42 PM
in reply to: #449928

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Tri the Creek Sprint Triathlon - relay
Cool pics!  Sorry I missed you.  I went early with my wife and had to go take my daughter to a swim meet.  Those open water swims do get easier with practice.  Nice race.
2006-06-10 8:09 PM
in reply to: #449936

User image

Expert
WA
Subject: RE: Tri the Creek Sprint Triathlon - relay

hey, awesome pics!  don't worry about your OWS, the first one is always scary.  it definitely takes some getting used to and now you have your work cut out for you!  keep at it, and you'll be awesome.

2006-06-10 9:20 PM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)
Subject: RE: Tri the Creek Sprint Triathlon

ha! that's funny, that's me standing behind you in the same pose at the start of the swim   =)

congrats on finishing!! i was in the same boat with some of those freakout thoughts, but once i passed the not-so-big buoy, i felt encouraged even though i started feeling for the sand WAY before it was beneath me.

what a sense of accomplishment, WAY TO GO!!!!

2006-06-11 6:17 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Way to get that first OWS under your bellt. When is the next one?

Your pics are great, you could be a fisherman searching the horizon for the great whale. Your family relay team did good and that has to be alot of fun.
2006-06-11 1:39 PM
in reply to: #450083

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
snowgirl - 2006-06-10 8:20 PM

ha! that's funny, that's me standing behind you in the same pose at the start of the swim =)

That is too funny!  I wish we had known that we were both bt'ers, we could have helped each other out on the swim - or rather I could have followed you!  Are you going to write a race report??

2006-06-11 8:00 PM

User image

Regular
Kentucky

I just had to laugh at your race report. I had my first OWS this weekend too (race report pending). Other than the wetsuit part our experiences our nearly identical, I may just cut and paste your log into my report :-).  Why did I spend so much time learning to free style when I could make such good time on my back :-

That was an experience I am not likely to forget anytime soon.  Congrats on sticking it out, what a rush huh?

2006-06-11 10:56 PM

User image

i would LOVE to write a race report, but WHERE ARE THE RESULTS??!!?!?!? i've been waiting and waiting!! are they on the DAC website??!!

CONGRATS, your family did GREAT!!!!    =)

2006-06-11 11:04 PM
in reply to: #450714

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
snowgirl - 2006-06-11 9:56 PM

i would LOVE to write a race report, but WHERE ARE THE RESULTS??!!?!?!? i've been waiting and waiting!! are they on the DAC website??!!

CONGRATS, your family did GREAT!!!! =)

Here you go:

http://www.ccrtiming.com/races/results/2006/06TriCreek.htm

I knew that Championchip timed the event, so just went through their website!

Edited by workoutbunny 2006-06-11 11:07 PM
2006-06-11 11:32 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Great meeting you too !! I love the pictures of you and your family.

It was fun 'watching' my first race ! What a great atmosphere and crowd I was surprised, I expected a meaner more competitive atmosphere; I guess that's from my experiences in car and ski racing where there's boatloads of testosterone everywhere.

I am looking forward to meeting other BT'ers very soon. New bike arrived Friday and i start w/swim coach Tuesday.

Edited by Zev 2006-06-11 11:33 PM
2006-06-12 11:40 AM

User image

thanks for the link, carrie!!

what other races are you going to do?!?!?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Creek Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed