Elkhart Lake Multisports, Inc.
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 43m 21s
Overall Rank = 96/219
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/16
Pre-race routine:

Multiple potty trips, lots of mental focusing. Didn't want to have the mental break down that I had on the swim last week. Reminded myself to ease into the swim, remember to make long strokes, and count strokes.
Event warmup:

Very little jogging.
Swim
  • 27m 44s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Time trial start. I liked this, as there was very little bumping at the start. Didn't really come into traffic except at the turn around and the last 100 yards. Really nice lake, when you did take on water it didn't taste bad. Little bit of wind chop on the return, first time I've had to deal with this, but it was really a non-issue. Overall, very happy with this swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m
What would you do differently?:

Wasn't totally focused in either T for this race. I need to make a written check list for myself so I know everything is in place. All was well, but I didn't have total confidence in my prep, so I probably didn't move as fast as I could have.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 33s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.28 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike handling was at a premium for this race. Not a fun ride--but had to stay focused to keep the speed up. I don't mind shifting, but this was just too curvey to be fun. Heard other people saying that they slowed down to feel safe on this course. I pushed it, but I can definately understand their thinking.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

First race with a number belt rather than pinning the number on my shirt. Like this a lot--didn't cost any time as I grabbed the belt and put it on while running toward transition exit. Didn't have the number flapping on the bike, and prefer having the number at my waist during the run rather than on my shirt.

More prep so I have total confidence in my preparations.
Run
  • 54m 11s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a great run for me. Felt good, kept my pace up, maintained focus. Kept cadence high, and I think this really made a difference for me. Good push to the finish, felt spent when I crossed the line after a good ramp up to sprint speed the last mile or so. This is the challenging part of the race for me, I had good energy--looking at my results you may think I went too hard on the first two segments, but it's really that I have a hard time running fast. I am making progress on this so no complaints!

I pushed a bit all the way through, could probably push a little harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around while drinking water and eating bananas.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much, this was a great race for me. I wasn't feeling ready for it the days before, but about 200 yards into the swim I thought I was doing pretty good, and half way through the swim I knew it would be a good race overall.

Event comments:

Note: Transitions were included in segment times and were not broken down in the posted results.

And now the comments: Great race! While the course is not as hilly, I improved on my Oly time at Wildflower by about 15 minutes!!! Now I'm excited for the Racine half in July. Fantastic location at Ostoff resort, nice swim course and transition area, nice run course, good food after. Nice event put on by a small group of people--where else does the race director insist on shaking your had at the finish line?

My only criticism is the bike course, as I would prefer to ride country roads rather than the service roads at Road America. From what I read and heard, the event would not have happened had Road America not allowed use of their property, and I will do this race again even if the course is the same.

Last updated: 2006-05-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:44 | 1640 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/16
Overall: 0/219
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca full
Course: Counter clockwise out and back with a slight kink on the return. I swam a straight line from the beach to the turn around, while most of the competitors stuck to the buoy line, making it a slight bit longer. No lifeguards on surf boards, which I expected to see, and the boats with lifeguards were quite a ways off course, so if you did start to drift off course you could get quite a ways out before realizing you weren't spotting well. Luckily a non-issue for me today!
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:21:33 | 24.85 miles | 18.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/16
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 9 miles out to the service roads at Road America. The service road portion was repeated 4 times. Lots of short hills, lots of curves.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:54:11 | 06.21 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/16
Performance: Good
Course: Nice country roads with some noteworthy hills. Running on the side of roads which were open to traffic, but not many cars so it was fine. Beautiful views of the hills of Wisconsin.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-11 8:39 AM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Subject: Elkhart Lake Triathlon

2006-06-12 11:06 AM
in reply to: #450208

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: RE: Elkhart Lake Triathlon

GREAT JOB and excellent, excellent times.  Not exactly the greatest weather either...was the air temp and/or wind a factor?

...well, apparently not since you smoked the course, but your comments on that would be interesting either way. 

2006-06-12 10:10 PM
in reply to: #450208

User image

Regular
Madison, WI USA
Subject: RE: Elkhart Lake Triathlon
Nice job with the race. I enjoyed your report. I've been to the resort before, great place. I liked that the race director was shaking hands, nice touch. Did the race go onto the actual track at RA? I've raced motorcycles there and would like to do this race if it actually got me on the track again (be it quite a bit slower).
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Elkhart Lake Triathlon Rss Feed