General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running race day with ipod Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-08-06 1:59 PM
in reply to: #4349442

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Running race day with ipod
Everyone is fine with you questioning the rules. The part where it seemed like you would ignore ones you didn't like was the concern. If you want to run with headphones, pester away with USAT about it! Smile

2012-08-06 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD
noelle1230 - 2012-08-06 2:54 PM
guitarfrk75 - 2012-08-06 2:48 PM
noelle1230 - 2012-08-06 2:34 PM
lisac957 - 2012-08-06 2:30 PM
noelle1230 - 2012-08-06 1:20 PM 

It's certainly not done to intentionally irritate you or anyone else, but I'm just not a blinding following every single rule in life even if it makes zero sense to me kinda girl, sorry.

This kind of attitude saddens, and yes, irritates me. What if everyone ignored every rule that didn't make sense to them?

Um....well, just off the top of my head?  You wouldn't be allowed to vote....

In defense of Lisa, I don't understand how the conversation we're having has anything to do with voting...

No-one is asking you to LIKE the rules, we're just asking you to follow the rules the rest of us have to follow. If you don't like the rules, contact USAT and ask them to change it. USAT Sanctioning requires RDs to enforce the USAT competitive rules, so "Participants are ensured a safe, fair, and creditable competition environment." Whether or not what you're doing is safe is debatable, but exempting yourself from the rules is certainly not fair for the other participants.

That's why people are saddened by your attitude.

I actually have.  And I've been told they do routinely reconsider it.  If it's okay to run a race with headphones, like for example a marathon which many of us have run with headphones legally, I don't understand why it would be any less safe just because I biked and swam first.

Just making the point that in life sometimes questioning the rules is not a bad or a dangerous thing.  Honestly, I would never do something that I thought would cause a blatent danger to myself or others.  I just don't think this is.  Many running race organizers agree with me, even Boston qualifieers and some tri RD's.  So I'll continue to hold my opinion at this point.

I agree 100% - it's not a bad or dangerous thing. But in this case there is a process in place for changing the rules which doesn't include blatantly ignoring them.

I don't care whether headphones are allowed on the run or not, but I will follow whatever rule USAT has in place because I respect the organization and my competitors enough to do so. That's what got folks a little riled.

2012-08-06 2:10 PM
in reply to: #4349475

User image

Pro
guitarfrk75 - 2012-08-06 3:01 PM

But in this case there is a process in place for changing the rules which doesn't include blatantly ignoring them.

I don't care whether headphones are allowed on the run or not, but I will follow whatever rule USAT has in place because I respect the organization and my competitors enough to do so. That's what got folks a little riled.

Well said. I propose that the thread ends here.

Here is the USAT board of directors: http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-usat/board-of-directors.aspx and here is the link where you can contact USAT: http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-usat/contact-us.aspx

If you have an issue with the rules, that is the appropriate forum to talk to people that can make the change.

Until then, respect your RD, fellow competitors, and USAT and just follow the rules.

2012-08-06 2:13 PM
in reply to: #4348500

User image

Regular

I really don't like to run, but running with music helps me feel better about the run. Its also one of the few times I get to listen to music I like because the Mrs. doesn't exactly apprecite Celtic Punk Rock. I even have a waterproof case and headphones so I can swim with my iPod.

Yet I like that there is no music allowed during the run at a triathlon, makes it just that much harder, maybe not physically but definately mentally. there is a differance between HIM/IM and Half marathons and marathons.

Besides, if I came upon somebody during the run in a tri with headphones in, knowing how exhausted I was and how much I dislike running I'd be really tempted to give that person a 'high five'...

...in the face...  

...with my shoe...

(or at least remember their bib number to the USAT Official...)

Edited by SeaDogAther 2012-08-06 2:14 PM
2012-08-06 2:13 PM
in reply to: #4349212

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
lisac957 - 2012-08-06 1:35 PM

Well the rule exists for safety reasons. If you are jamming to your tunes, the likelihood of hearing other athletes, emergency vehicles, volunteer directions, etc. is reduced. Probably why there was such a strong response. Just FYI.

Lisa's statement should've about ended this thread, before we went off on a tangent about standing up against the man, etc., etc.

This has nothing to do with anyone being oppressed or your right to anything being violated.  It's to keep you, and your competitors, safe throughout the race.

To the OP:  it's a good question, though I personally disagree that it should even be debated.  But then again I don't even own an iPod.  Surprised

2012-08-06 2:17 PM
in reply to: #4349137

User image

Veteran
rungirl222 - 2012-08-06 12:03 PM

I am not trying to break rules and do anything crazy it was simply a question for my first tri. Thats why I am asking here cause I am a newbie. I just enjoy running with music. I have ran in marathons where the were not allowed.... but everyone still did it. I was just simply curious if people did that in a tri.

I guess not from all of the post I guess no bad rap or britney spears music to listen to while bringing up the rear at the tri. Just trying to bring some fun to the race.... not be a rebel and not do something unsafe like not wear a bike helmet. 

Understood and I'm sorry if any posts came across as harsh.

I think you'll find that you're happier without the head phones after completing the race.  There's so much camaraderie that I'd hate to miss it (but I'm an extreme extrovert that will talk to a rock).

I'm still very new with only 4 races and have been happy and energized to hear all the sounds of the race: the cheers and encouragement from fellow racers and spectators, the bikes from later waves going by etc.  

Something to consider also is that many of these races are run through neighborhoods and yesterday's race for me was no exception.  Several houses along the route had their owners in lawn chairs spraying people down as they came by and unless you've got waterproof gear, you'd have to turn that down - and it was really welcome around mile 2 yesterday!

Enjoy your first race and please let us know how it goes!

twomarks

2012-08-06 2:57 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

noelle1230 - 2012-08-06 1:54 PM
guitarfrk75 - 2012-08-06 2:48 PM
noelle1230 - 2012-08-06 2:34 PM
lisac957 - 2012-08-06 2:30 PM
noelle1230 - 2012-08-06 1:20 PM 

It's certainly not done to intentionally irritate you or anyone else, but I'm just not a blinding following every single rule in life even if it makes zero sense to me kinda girl, sorry.

This kind of attitude saddens, and yes, irritates me. What if everyone ignored every rule that didn't make sense to them?

Um....well, just off the top of my head?  You wouldn't be allowed to vote....

In defense of Lisa, I don't understand how the conversation we're having has anything to do with voting...

No-one is asking you to LIKE the rules, we're just asking you to follow the rules the rest of us have to follow. If you don't like the rules, contact USAT and ask them to change it. USAT Sanctioning requires RDs to enforce the USAT competitive rules, so "Participants are ensured a safe, fair, and creditable competition environment." Whether or not what you're doing is safe is debatable, but exempting yourself from the rules is certainly not fair for the other participants.

That's why people are saddened by your attitude.

I actually have.  And I've been told they do routinely reconsider it.  If it's okay to run a race with headphones, like for example a marathon which many of us have run with headphones legally, I don't understand why it would be any less safe just because I biked and swam first.

Just making the point that in life sometimes questioning the rules is not a bad or a dangerous thing.  Honestly, I would never do something that I thought would cause a blatent danger to myself or others.  I just don't think this is.  Many running race organizers agree with me, even Boston qualifieers and some tri RD's.  So I'll continue to hold my opinion at this point.

You keep comparing marathon to triathlons, but they are not comparable.  Most road races are sanctioned and insured through USATF, triathlons from USAT.  Two completely separate entities.  USATF still bans headphones for elites because of performance issues, but the only real reason they were ever banned for the rest of the field is because their insurance companies decided headphones are dangerous and therefore they would charge more to cover races where it was allowed.  Some RD's clearly never cared, others (like Grandma's in 2007) took a hardline stance and pulled people out of the race.  There was a little mini-runner's revolt and USATF changed their rules to leave it up to the RD's discretion.

USAT has never backed down from their stance on no headphones.  Whether you think it's safe or not is irrelevant, their insurance premiums are based on the ban of headphones.  And if someone ever gets hurt in an incident where headphones were a factor, their insurance company is going to say too bad. 

Edited by kevin_trapp 2012-08-06 2:59 PM
2012-08-06 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4348802

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
rungirl222 - 2012-08-06 9:59 AM

Thanks ! I hope thats the case. I am sure race day I will be fine! Do you do it cold turkey the day of the race or do some runs without it?

I run with my iPod every single time, too. My first tri is in less than two weeks. This Saturday I am going to wear my tri suit and do a bike/run brick with no iPod. That's all the iPod-free practice I plan on giving myself. I know that on race day there will be so many distractions, nervousness, adrenaline and stimulation that I will NOT miss it!

2012-08-06 4:20 PM

I predict that the next big training fad will be "Open Ear Training" You heard it here first!
2012-08-06 5:05 PM
in reply to: #4349414

User image

Master
Central Indiana

Mike_D - 2012-08-06 2:46 PM wonder if the USAT insurance would cover a racer who was using an iPod during a race, regardless of what the RD may have said?

Doubt it.  Any insurance lawyer worth his/her salt would seek to deny any claim involving a clear (& intentional) safety rules violation. 

2012-08-06 8:20 PM

User image

Master
rungirl222, Since this is your first triathlon you need to attend any pre-race meetings that the Race Director (RD) offers before the race. You can also visit the USAT rules and regulations page and read up on what is expected of you on race day. Most triathlon clubs have a beginners group and will also help you get ready for your race.

If you still aren't sure of the rules then please ask the USAT officials or other racers on race morning. The majority of triathletes are very helpful and friendly. There are a lot of rules and things to remember on race day.

Since this is your first triathlon you will want to enjoy it. I would highly recommend NOT wearing headphones because your fellow triathletes at the race will probably give you dirty looks or turn you into race officials. Which they should do because you will be breaking the rules.

Edited by Catwoman 2012-08-06 8:23 PM

2012-08-06 8:34 PM
in reply to: #4350196

User image

Veteran

Don't worry I won't use an iPod now that everyone informed me. Thanks! I will attend the pre race meeting anyways to learn everything. It is just my first Olympic ... I did a USAT sprint 2 years ago and have cheered many friends on at tri's and iron mans and things. Plus I have ran my whole life so I do know some race etiquite. I just didn't know the underline rule like many road races where it is not allowed but EVERYONE does it anyway. 

Thanks everybody

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running race day with ipod Rss Feed  

of 3