United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 10m 59s
Overall Rank = 73/184
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/21
Pre-race routine:

We decided to head up to Duluth on Friday staying at the Holiday Inn with the family, making a weekend out of the event. Got up at 5:45am on race day, checked out of the hotel, packed up the Vehicle, and made our way up the hill to the race site. Plenty of room for parking down Martin Rd. Ate a Honey Stinger and two Nutri-Grain Bars in route. Got transition all set-up and then waited for my wave in the long course to go off, about an hour after transition close. About 15 minutes before the wave went off, had a few Cliff Gel Shots.
Event warmup:

Before transition closed, jumped on the bike for about a mile. About 15 minutes before my scheduled wave time went through a stretching routine. Could have jumped in the water, but the air temp was a little chilly and i didn't want to stand around and get cold.
Swim
  • 25m 21s
  • 1408 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not a great swim. Wind started to pickup by the start of the race about 15 mph. No whitecaps, but it was starting to get close. Rollers were coming in from my primary breathing side for the first leg, switched to the left side. Just couldn't get comfortable in the first length of the triangle. It was a big wave about ~70 athletes in a wade start. a little bit of jostling in the beginning, but it calmed down pretty quick. Got in a groove after the first turn and picked up the pace, switched back to the right side for breathing. About 1/2 way through that turn both hamstrings really started to lock up, kept pushing it to the finish. A couple of Dolphin dives coming in and then a run across the beach.
What would you do differently?:

Need to work on getting into a comfortable pace earlier in the swim, probably should have jumped in and done a couple hundred yards of warmup. I need to feel more comfortable going out harder and not holding back soo much.
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Good transition. Wetsuit off and helmet and glasses on and out of transition. It was a pretty narrow coming to the mount line and almost ran over the person in front of me who stopeed at the line.

It was a good transition. I could have pushed the pace on the running a little more, but the hamstrings were tight.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 47s
  • 20.6 miles
  • 19.08 mile/hr
Comments:

A little congested coming out of T1 (Traffic, bike route, and out and back run course all on the same road) it cleared up once I got up onto the highway. As I started to pickup the pace, the hamstrings really started to tighten up and had to back it down in the beginning. Shifted down a cuple of gear to try and keep the cadence high. Several false flats on the highway and the wind really started to pickup. The smoothest section fo the road was right into the headwind. Stretched out the legs as mucha as possible and held back a little. The bumpy section is rolling with pine trees lining both sides of the road. The views were awesome, when I wasn't staring at the road to try and find the smoothest route. Second lap was about the same, except the legs loosened up a little. Pushed it hard until a mile to go and then spun the legs out to get ready for the run.

Need to train on a few more hills and in the wind. Been spending too much time on river road, around the lakes, and in the cities out of the wind in training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Nice clean transition.
Run
  • 37m 31s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

It was definitely nice to run in some cooler temps. Started out at 7:30 pace and backed it off to 8:05 pace for the first two miles (worried about bonking after the last two races) and then turned it on from there. Several hills throughout, Went 7:30, 7:05, and 6:40 over the next three. I should have pushed it a little harder in the begiinning and then tried to negative split from there. The negative split plan worked well, passed a lot of people in the lsat three miles.

Should have taken it out a little harder, maybe around 7:45 for the fist mile and then started the negative split for each mile from there. It was a lot faster than I have been training, but it was also about 20 degrees cooler than what I have been running in lately.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

As ususal, need more time in the pool. Need to change up the training on the bike and get out of the cities.

Event comments:

It was a well put on race. Overall, pretty happy with the race, hamstrings were really tight to start the bike and should have pushed it a little harder on the run. Next age group finisher was 6 minutes in front and would have had to really push the bike and run to catch him.

Last updated: 2012-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:21 | 1408 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/21
Overall: 87/184
Performance: Below average
Suit: BlueSeventy Revolution
Course: Triangle shaped into the wind on the outward leg, wind at back on the long length, and sideways into the beach and transition.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:56
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:04:47 | 20.6 miles | 19.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/21
Overall: 76/184
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Two laps - nice and smooth for the first 6 miles, but headwind of 15-20mph with gusts and then very bumpy for the next 3.5 miles. The 3.5 miles are manageable you just need to look for the smoothest section of the road which changes constantly.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:31 | 05 miles | 07m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/21
Overall: 88/184
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back with a few rollers.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-08-06 10:22 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Brewhouse Triathlon - Long Course

2012-08-06 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4348869

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Brewhouse Triathlon - Long Course
Great job!  Boy, I bet that cool weather felt great.
2012-08-06 3:27 PM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Awesome report. I agree, it is nice to run in cooler weather, as opposed to a sauna.
2012-08-06 5:01 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Good job.  that Headwind on the highway, especially the second lap was a tough one.
2012-08-10 7:21 AM
in reply to: #4349952

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brewhouse Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed