Biking Mike
90+F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 03m 37s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and showered 90 minutes before the start. Had a Red Powerade and Oatmeal Raisin Clif Bar on the way to pick up the babysitter.

Was getting the bikes loaded up when Seb (sebjamesm) and Tracy showed up. Shannon and Tracy were doing the 22 miler, we were doing the 55.

It was a short drive to MNHS. No rush at all.
Event warmup:

Jog to the portajohn to get rid of the Powerade. Then we rode along the lines until we found Tommy (zia_cyclist). Slurped down a PowerGel when the 75 milers left. Then some instructions from the RD and we were off.
Bike
  • 3h 03m 37s
  • 53.12 miles
  • 17.36 mile/hr
Comments:

We talked with Tommy the first 6 or 7 miles, then he was gone. Thought about trying to catch up with him, but that wasn't going to happen. Still, felt pretty strong. We skipped the break point at 7 miles. Thought that was a bit odd to have one so early, much more odd that people actually stopped at it.

The first 20 miles went by in a flash. Did the first 20 at 18.8. Now looking at the map, that's when the wind was at our back. It was pretty spaced out, so we were able to do some aero riding. Hit the 25 mile rest stop but figured we'd keep going. Only 10 more miles to the next one.

Now that I look at the map, probably should have stopped. It was only 10 miles, but it was 10 miles dead into the wind. Killed my speed. Took a PowerGel at 27 miles. Tried to wash it down with Accelerade but it was hot and not particularly tasty.

Finally hit the rest stop at 35. Seeing the blue portajohns in the distance was about the best sight I'd ever seen. Stopped for about 5 minutes. The volunteers were great. Filled up one bottle with Blue Powerade (nasty) and ice, then filled up my Accelerade bottle with ice. Made it taste a LOT better. Grabbed a half banana and took a bathroom break. Then it was time to head out again.

After stopping, my legs were very reluctant to get going. After a few miles I got some energy going again (took my other PowerGel, which probably helped some), even playing around a little bit with Seb yo-yoing back and forth.

Got into a paceline of about 12 riders at the 40 mile mark. We were cruising at about 19 mph at that point. Kinda fun. Then most of them turned off at the 45 mile rest stop. I couldn't fathom stopping with only 10 miles left, so we struck out on our own.

A little later, I heard a big "whoosh" sound coming up behind me. Took a quick peek back and saw a group of about 20 in a single file paceline. 75 mile group had caught us. They were MOVING. I want to go that fast one day. They passed me like I was standing still.

Hills were really getting to me at this point. Probably because my longest ride to that point had been 36 and a half. I could feel it coming, and finally at the 49 mile point, I bonked. Speed dropped down to about 13 or 14 most of the rest of the way. Just had nothing left. I was spent.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe stopping at 25 and 45 instead of just 35? Have more biking base? Salt tablets? Who knows?

I drank 44 oz of Accelerade and 24oz of Powerade. I took 3 gels (1 pre-ride and 2 during), plus one half of a banana. Maybe one of those mini Clif bars at the rest stop would have helped. Need to figure something out.

But I finished it with a higher speed than any ride last year (even the short ones), so I won't complain too much.
Post race
Warm down:

Chugged 3 glasses of water and took a short (20 minute) brick jog with Seb. Stomach was very, very sloshy. Makes me wonder how I would handle a HIM run. I can't not drink a lot when I ride, but I can't run well with a lot of sloshing going on in my stomach.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike base not where it needs to be.

Nutrition breakdown.

Sucky bike.

Event comments:

I liked the course. Not much traffic and the roads were great for the most part. Next year I'll probably do the 75 miler.

Last updated: 2006-04-26 12:00 AM
Biking
03:03:37 | 53.12 miles | 17.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Fairly hilly ride through the country N and E of McKinney. Went through towns like Blue Ridge, Climax, New Hope, and Valdasta.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-12 9:10 AM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: Collin Classic

2006-06-12 1:43 PM
in reply to: #450973

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: RE: Collin Classic
Hmmm, on the bonking thing, sounds like a bunch of stuff converging together:

A) Previous long was 36.5 miles so 55 is quite a bit more, just takes time to get used to the distance.

B) I'm wondering how many calories you had total for the ride. For my height and weight, I should be getting in around 235 calories per hour. You may have been fairly close on this.

C) It was a hot day, I know I was out there too, a little south doing a 187 mile ride. From the sounds of it, you took zero electrolytes in such as endurolytes. Power gels don't have any and powerade has some, but also has the sugars that you don't need. This may have led to the sloshing stomach, your stomach can shut down when it doesn't have the electrolytes it needs hence, slowing digestion and leaving it all in your stomach.

D) Timing, did you have an even flow of nutrition going in throughout the ride or were you cramming it in at certain times? Sometimes this can be an issue, but this being a fairly short ride, shouldn't have been a problem.

E) Speed, were you riding within your element in the beginning or someone elses? It's easy to get caught up in others paces and burn yourself up in the beginning.

F) I think it mainly just comes to getting in the experience, keep going and you'll learn what works for your body and the more rides you do, the easier it will get.

Way to hang tough to the end! I promise it will get easier!
2006-06-12 1:56 PM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Good job, Andy!
2006-06-12 4:11 PM

User image

Veteran
McKinney, TX

WOW Great job! I only biked 22-miles in the Collin Classic Saturday.

One day I'll be able to go much farther.

Kudos to you!!

2006-06-12 9:08 PM

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
I think you did a great job--hey, it was the longest ride you've ever done. Can't be that bad. And it's a good learning experience
2006-06-14 9:30 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great job.  I'm surprised this is your longest ride.  You rode well.

On nutrition: This is what I do for a HIM ride.  I carry 2 bottles of Cytomax and one plain water.  One gel every 45 minutes with plain water.  A drink of Cytomax every 15 minutes (except with the gels).  One electrolyte tablet every hour.  I try to finish the 3 bottles by the end of the 56 miles.  I usually don't have any solid food, just gels and liquids.  Of course, this is what I do.  You'll have to experiment to find out what works for you. 

I think the sloshiness was too much carbohydrate in your stomach.  Your body couldn't digest it quick enough.  The Accelerade and gels at the same time overloaded your stomach.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Collin Classic Rss Feed