Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Back to school, what's for snack? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-13 1:48 PM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: Back to school, what's for snack?

My son is getting ready to head back to school - 1st Grade this year! My hubby is certain that with the changes Mrs. Obama is enforcing on school lunches he will come home starving.

So just for fun - what's your favorite or your kids favorite after school snack? I'm not the most creative person in the kitchen but last year my kids liked

Popcorn

Homemade chocolate chip cookies

Fresh fruit

and I made an apple crisp once but my 4 year old daughter and I were the only ones who ate any of it.

And if you've got any good ideas for packing a school lunch I'm interested in those too!

2012-08-13 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4360996

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Back to school, what's for snack?

I guess I am unsure how fighting for healthy foods in schools means your son will come home starving?

Be that as it may, favorite snacks for me and my nieces/nephews include fresh fruit, fresh Berries with Yogurt, Toast with Nutella on it (the kids in particular but I have been known to partake), and an english muffin Pizza (english muffin, little pizza or pasta sauce, some cheese, herbs, and fresh veggies, pop it in the oven under the broiler for a few minutes and snack away once cooled down a little.)

2012-08-13 2:04 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
trigal38 - 2012-08-13 1:48 PM

My son is getting ready to head back to school - 1st Grade this year! My hubby is certain that with the changes Mrs. Obama is enforcing on school lunches he will come home starving.

I don't have kids so am not sure what this means. Can you elaborate?

2012-08-13 2:06 PM
in reply to: #4361011

User image

Bronze member
bel83 - 2012-08-13 1:56 PM

I guess I am unsure how fighting for healthy foods in schools means your son will come home starving?

Be that as it may, favorite snacks for me and my nieces/nephews include fresh fruit, fresh Berries with Yogurt, Toast with Nutella on it (the kids in particular but I have been known to partake), and an english muffin Pizza (english muffin, little pizza or pasta sauce, some cheese, herbs, and fresh veggies, pop it in the oven under the broiler for a few minutes and snack away once cooled down a little.)

Oh I don't really know either. Hubby is the super at the school so he has to deal with all the changes first hand and I am just hearing little bits and pieces. You know how it is - sometimes people don't like change. We live in farm country where everyone is used to a heavy helping of meat and potatoes with a side of bread and butter so the kitchen staff is a little umm, shall we say uncomfortable.  I told him not to worry about. If people don't like the school lunch they can pack their kids lunch. FOR US this one meal my son eats at school does not make or break his overall diet. No offense meant - don't want to make this a political thing. I really should have read that more carefully - especially in COJ . My bad.

I like the English muffin pizza idea! I used to love those as a kid.

I have never bought Nutella and am afraid I'll eat the whole jar myself!

2012-08-13 2:11 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I see a lot of stuff online about Bento boxes and kids lunches/snacks. The idea of giving them lots of variety. Google "bento box lunch ideas" for a ton of information.

Here's a good link: http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2012/07/31/85-snacks-for-kids-and-adults/

2012-08-13 2:17 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
All the government is doing is doubling the serving sizes of fruits and vegetables, and requiring grains to be whole grains. She wanted to limit potatoes and tomato sauce, but lobbiests blocked those changes.

2012-08-13 3:02 PM
in reply to: #4361034

User image

Extreme Veteran
trigal38 - 2012-08-13 12:06 PM

Oh I don't really know either. Hubby is the super at the school so he has to deal with all the changes first hand and I am just hearing little bits and pieces. You know how it is - sometimes people don't like change. We live in farm country where everyone is used to a heavy helping of meat and potatoes with a side of bread and butter so the kitchen staff is a little umm, shall we say uncomfortable.  I told him not to worry about. If people don't like the school lunch they can pack their kids lunch. FOR US this one meal my son eats at school does not make or break his overall diet. No offense meant - don't want to make this a political thing. I really should have read that more carefully - especially in COJ . My bad.

Nutella can be um, addicting, if you are not careful. I also thought of what I liked when I was growing up one of my favorite snacks was always nuts in the shell which some fresh fruit. go outside and crack the nutes to get at the meat of them and after you eat some finish off with a nice crisp apple or a plum or two. this was a little easier to do as my grandparents had multiples of types of fruit and nut trees.

2012-08-13 3:27 PM

User image

Pro
An entire sleeve of braunschweiger and some crackers. That will shake it up a little.
2012-08-13 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4361034

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
trigal38 - 2012-08-13 3:06 PM

The way you phrased the question in the first place makes it so. And there was just a study in Pediatrics cited by NY Times today that links mandated school nutrition in states that have it with lower weight gain in kids.

What did you give your kids for snacks last year? You can still give them whatever you want. Or are you just looking for more ideas?

My kids (now 21 and 25) used to like carrot sticks with ranch dressing for dipping as well as mozzarella cheese sticks, cut up fruit (especially apples, sometimes with peanut butter) and the occasional microwavable ravioli if they were really hungry.  

2012-08-13 3:38 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Tough to beat PB&J. My son would eat that all day, every day if he could.

If he’s going to swimming or karate after school, I’ll sometime pack a “kid’s” energy bar for him. Clif bar makes a line of bars for kids that are smaller and have fewer calories than the grownup bars.

There are some good l-f yogurts that make smaller portions for kids. Stonyfield Farms and Chobani come to mind.

String cheese, Baby-bel or Laughing Cow cheeses are also good for snacks.
When my dad picks him up after school, he usually just has a big bowl of cut up fruit at his house—melon, berries, etc. for him to snack on.

I try to stay away from things like goldfish crackers, pretzels, and popcorn. Not that they aren’t fine, but I find that he’s less hungry at dinner time when he has those after school. Same goes for sweets.
2012-08-13 3:45 PM
in reply to: #4361217

User image

Bronze member
gearboy - 2012-08-13 3:29 PM
trigal38 - 2012-08-13 3:06 PM

The way you phrased the question in the first place makes it so. And there was just a study in Pediatrics cited by NY Times today that links mandated school nutrition in states that have it with lower weight gain in kids.

What did you give your kids for snacks last year? You can still give them whatever you want. Or are you just looking for more ideas?

My kids (now 21 and 25) used to like carrot sticks with ranch dressing for dipping as well as mozzarella cheese sticks, cut up fruit (especially apples, sometimes with peanut butter) and the occasional microwavable ravioli if they were really hungry.  

Yes looking for more ideas and already apologized for the comment.

2012-08-13 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4361051

User image

Bronze member
lisac957 - 2012-08-13 2:11 PM

I see a lot of stuff online about Bento boxes and kids lunches/snacks. The idea of giving them lots of variety. Google "bento box lunch ideas" for a ton of information.

Here's a good link: http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2012/07/31/85-snacks-for-kids-and-adults/

Love the Bento box idea and the link! Thanks!

2012-08-13 3:49 PM
in reply to: #4361206

User image

Bronze member

Iowaman - 2012-08-13 3:27 PM An entire sleeve of braunschweiger and some crackers. That will shake it up a little.

My parents used to buy that when we were little. Not one of my favorites but I ate it!

2012-08-13 3:54 PM
in reply to: #4361162

User image

Bronze member
bel83 - 2012-08-13 3:02 PM
trigal38 - 2012-08-13 12:06 PM

Nutella can be um, addicting, if you are not careful. I also thought of what I liked when I was growing up one of my favorite snacks was always nuts in the shell which some fresh fruit. go outside and crack the nutes to get at the meat of them and after you eat some finish off with a nice crisp apple or a plum or two. this was a little easier to do as my grandparents had multiples of types of fruit and nut trees.

Forgot all about nuts in the shell. I always used to have my preschool students sort and count nuts in the shell for an activity in Autumn. Then we would eat them and do a taste test. Funny how I can forget these things with my own kids.

2012-08-13 4:07 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

- Refried bean dip, 1 can vegetarian low fat refried beans, 1 can green chilies, a shake of cumin and garlic powder and a little tomato sauce. Mix items well and place in an oven or microwave safe dish. Sprinkle with a bit of regular or lowfat cheese and heat. Serve with baked corn or pita chips and vegetable sticks.

- Make fruit skewers (whatever fruit is in season) and serve with yogurt or blended cottage cheese with a little drizzled honey or jam.

- You can skewer chicken or tofu chunks with vegetables then serve with your choice of dip or guacamole.

- Make your own trail mix, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, cereal and popcorn.

- Yogurt with cereal or granola mixed in.

- Quesadillas with vegetables, black beans, chicken or just cheese (depends on your son's preference). 

- Spread cream cheese on a tortilla then add vegetables and or lunch meat (for savory) or fruit (for sweet) roll up and slice      into pieces.

- Hard boiled eggs

2012-08-13 8:46 PM
in reply to: #4361283

User image

Expert
C-bus
trigal38 - 2012-08-13 4:54 PM

I know exactly what you mean!  Let me try to explain this to all of you.  I have a child who has always been picky.  He is slowly becoming a breakfast eater with variety.  (For 5 years now it's been nothing but waffles and strawberries.)

For dinner, he's an ok eater.  He'll eat any kind of meat (as long as it has no flavoring such as BBQ, curry, etc), noodles, rice, and 3 types of frozen veggies which must be eaten with mustard to kill the taste. 

Lunch is the hardest thing to figure out for him.  He doesn't eat sandwiches of any kind, salads, or fruit with the exception for strawberries, grapes and an occasional apple.  Any type of italian food with the sauce mixed in is out the window.  Luckily, the lunch program at school serves chicken, hamburgers, an occasional hot dog, and pizza (whole grain, which is fine by him miraculously).  However, he does not eat the veggies/fruit because he doesn't like them.  Oh yeah, and he doesn't eat cheese.

Now, unless you want to come over and feed my child, please don't give me the scolding of "put it in front of his plate and don't give him anything else".  I've done that.  He'll go to bed hungry.  That's not a problem for him.  He will also wake up excessively early the next morning because he's hungry.  And, as an added bonus, if he really doesn't like the food he's forced to eat, he'll throw it up at the table.  (He picked up that talent from my husband who also did that when he was young.  Thanks, honey!)

Yes, more fruits and veggies are a good idea, but not for everyone.  I'm fortunate enough to have a very picky eater.  Being a teacher, I see this as a parallel: feeding all children the same meal with more fruits and veggies are good for some kids but not all, just like teaching all kids the same way is good for some kids but not all.

-I feel better now.  Thanks!  (And, if someone wants to come over and cook for him, please come over!  I'm at my wits end with this one!!!  His sister eats anything!)

Edited by sungirl919 2012-08-13 8:49 PM

2012-08-14 6:59 AM
in reply to: #4361762

User image

Bronze member
sungirl919 - 2012-08-13 8:46 PM

I know exactly what you mean!  Let me try to explain this to all of you.  I have a child who has always been picky.  He is slowly becoming a breakfast eater with variety.  (For 5 years now it's been nothing but waffles and strawberries.)

For dinner, he's an ok eater.  He'll eat any kind of meat (as long as it has no flavoring such as BBQ, curry, etc), noodles, rice, and 3 types of frozen veggies which must be eaten with mustard to kill the taste. 

Lunch is the hardest thing to figure out for him.  He doesn't eat sandwiches of any kind, salads, or fruit with the exception for strawberries, grapes and an occasional apple.  Any type of italian food with the sauce mixed in is out the window.  Luckily, the lunch program at school serves chicken, hamburgers, an occasional hot dog, and pizza (whole grain, which is fine by him miraculously).  However, he does not eat the veggies/fruit because he doesn't like them.  Oh yeah, and he doesn't eat cheese.

Now, unless you want to come over and feed my child, please don't give me the scolding of "put it in front of his plate and don't give him anything else".  I've done that.  He'll go to bed hungry.  That's not a problem for him.  He will also wake up excessively early the next morning because he's hungry.  And, as an added bonus, if he really doesn't like the food he's forced to eat, he'll throw it up at the table.  (He picked up that talent from my husband who also did that when he was young.  Thanks, honey!)

Yes, more fruits and veggies are a good idea, but not for everyone.  I'm fortunate enough to have a very picky eater.  Being a teacher, I see this as a parallel: feeding all children the same meal with more fruits and veggies are good for some kids but not all, just like teaching all kids the same way is good for some kids but not all.

-I feel better now.  Thanks!  (And, if someone wants to come over and cook for him, please come over!  I'm at my wits end with this one!!!  His sister eats anything!)

Wow - I feel for you and yes - my daughter wants to eat whatever I eat. If I eat hummus on a whole grain cracker she wants it too. My son - no way. He is a carbaholic. When we got to Cracker Barrel he wants dumplings with a side of biscuits and gravy! I'm lucky that he really likes fruit though. I can cut up a watermelon and he will go to town and he likes a few raw veggies like pepper slices, sugar snap peas and tomatoes.

I'm pretty sure a banana with a side of nutella to dip it in would be a huge hit but I'm wondering if that is any more nutritious than just melting a few chocolate chips in the microwave? We do that sometimes and the kids love it!

2012-08-14 7:01 AM
in reply to: #4361310

User image

Bronze member
jezzieswims - 2012-08-13 4:07 PM

- Refried bean dip, 1 can vegetarian low fat refried beans, 1 can green chilies, a shake of cumin and garlic powder and a little tomato sauce. Mix items well and place in an oven or microwave safe dish. Sprinkle with a bit of regular or lowfat cheese and heat. Serve with baked corn or pita chips and vegetable sticks.

- Make fruit skewers (whatever fruit is in season) and serve with yogurt or blended cottage cheese with a little drizzled honey or jam.

- You can skewer chicken or tofu chunks with vegetables then serve with your choice of dip or guacamole.

- Make your own trail mix, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, cereal and popcorn.

- Yogurt with cereal or granola mixed in.

- Quesadillas with vegetables, black beans, chicken or just cheese (depends on your son's preference). 

- Spread cream cheese on a tortilla then add vegetables and or lunch meat (for savory) or fruit (for sweet) roll up and slice      into pieces.

- Hard boiled eggs

Some great ideas here - thanks! I never buy cream cheese so I will give that a try.

2012-08-14 7:24 AM
in reply to: #4361027

User image

Bronze member
lisac957 - 2012-08-13 2:04 PM
trigal38 - 2012-08-13 1:48 PM

I don't have kids so am not sure what this means. Can you elaborate?

Tried to find an article this morning for you but everything is politically biased one way or the other. If you google Michelle Obama school lunch you will find plenty of articles that elaborate.

Basically whole grains, low fat milk, smaller portions of fatty meats and more fruits and veges. It's just that my son happens to like the empty carbs and fatty meats .

2012-08-14 8:25 AM

User image

Queen BTich

I'm going back to school as a full-time student, starting tomorrow, and I started cooking/chopping/prepping for myself yesterday! Pre-chopped veggies for cold salads for lunch, got some jerky, and will be making almond-flour carrot/raisin/apple "muffins" to eat as a snack or before/after the gym. 

And I got a new lunch box.

2012-08-14 12:09 PM
in reply to: #4361762

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
sungirl919 - 2012-08-13 8:46 PM

I know where you're coming from. My son is autistic and eats Cheerios, popcorn,pretzels, bananas, and goldfish crackers . That's about it. we recently were able to bribe him to drink a juice using a trip to the local bmx track as bait. First bribe he has ever taken. He now drinks a green juice from the local whole foods called green lemonade, kale spinach, apple, lemon. It's his first green food. We have been to the Doctors, dieticians, many times. He will dry heave if a food offends him. He turned all food down for several days straight. He eats no meat, no veggies except for the juice. But we now have the bmx track on our side. He he

Edited by mxr746 2012-08-14 12:10 PM

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Back to school, what's for snack? Rss Feed