Other Resources My Cup of Joe » "THAT'S why I don't run..." Stupid comments from non-exercisers... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-09-19 2:36 PM
in reply to: #4418063

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO
Subject: RE: "THAT'S why I don't run..." Stupid comments from non-exercisers...

Jtiger:

I hope you can see that this is a sincere response.

Can you please explain to me why people who are athletes feel that everyone should be one? If someone isn't an athlete, and they are out of shape and vocal about it, there is something wronf with that? 

One thing that seems to be coming up again and again in this thread is the vaildity of certain exercise vs others. Why does there have to be a comparison and a "better than?" Why is one sort of activity deemed to be better than something else?

I myself am a cyclocross and mountain bike racer (cat3) and do crossfit stlye workouts. I used to run ultras and before that was very into triathlons. Before that I was just proud of myself to jiggle jog local 5 and 10ks. Nowhere in my evolution of an athlete did I look back and think "Gosh, I was wrong to be doing that other sport!" If I hadn't found mountain biking after a 50 mile trail race sidelined my knees for awhile, that would have been okay. If I hadn't found cyclocross, which I LOVE, through mountain biking, that would have been okay too. None of these athletic pursuits is "better" than the other, just different.

I'd argue that a lot of road cyclists wouldn't know the first thing about how to ride and succeed in a cyclocross race. Or that I can probably do a lot more burpees (and quicker) than a typical triathlete.  Then again, a triathlete probably puts in way more training hours than me in a week. But those comparisons are pointless. We could compare for hours over everything. Who cares?

And more importantly, doing more burpees or getting in more training hours says nothing of your value as a human being.

I honestly just do not understand why people get so upset over what other people do. Why do people spend the energy on it? What good does it do them?

I felt strongly enough about what people were saying in that thread that I felt the need to say something. That is what a public forum is all about, right? Do you think it is hypocritical to present a different opinion or ask people to consider a different point of view? I was not saying that I am always correct and better than anyone else, I was just asking people to exmaine their reasons for wanting to exert their superiority over people wh are doing things differently.

Speaking from experience: life is a lot more relaxing if you just focus on what you can control... which is only yourself. I submit that everyone would be a lot happier if they only worried about themselves.

2012-09-19 2:51 PM
in reply to: #4419028

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
freckle face - 2012-09-19 2:36 PM

Jtiger:

Can you please explain to me why people who are athletes feel that everyone should be one? If someone isn't an athlete, and they are out of shape and vocal about it, there is something wronf with that? 

One thing that seems to be coming up again and again in this thread is the vaildity of certain exercise vs others. Why does there have to be a comparison and a "better than?" Why is one sort of activity deemed to be better than something else?

I myself am a cyclocross and mountain bike racer (cat3) and do crossfit stlye workouts. I used to run ultras and before that was very into triathlons. Before that I was just proud of myself to jiggle jog local 5 and 10ks. Nowhere in my evolution of an athlete did I look back and think "Gosh, I was wrong to be doing that other sport!" If I hadn't found mountain biking after a 50 mile trail race sidelined my knees for awhile, that would have been okay. If I hadn't found cyclocross, which I LOVE, through mountain biking, that would have been okay too. None of these athletic pursuits is "better" than the other, just different.

I'd argue that a lot of road cyclists wouldn't know the first thing about how to ride and succeed in a cyclocross race. Or that I can probably do a lot more burpees (and quicker) than a typical triathlete.  Then again, a triathlete probably puts in way more training hours than me in a week. But those comparisons are pointless. We could compare for hours over everything. Who cares?

And more importantly, doing more burpees or getting in more training hours says nothing of your value as a human being.

I honestly just do not understand why people get so upset over what other people do. Why do people spend the energy on it? What good does it do them?

I felt strongly enough about what people were saying in that thread that I felt the need to say something. That is what a public forum is all about, right? Do you think it is hypocritical to present a different opinion or ask people to consider a different point of view? I was not saying that I am always correct and better than anyone else, I was just asking people to exmaine their reasons for wanting to exert their superiority over people wh are doing things differently.

Speaking from experience: life is a lot more relaxing if you just focus on what you can control... which is only yourself. I submit that everyone would be a lot happier if they only worried about themselves.

This. 1000x. Great post.

2012-09-19 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4409675

User image

Agree with above.  I've heard my share of silly comments, but I don't think it's every bothered me.  Then again, I don't take anyone too seriously in general. 

In regards to the OP's story, if I were the person who tripped and busted my face, and someone made the comment to me "that's why I don't run"...I probably would have hurt my face more from laughing.

2012-09-20 9:10 AM

Master
Memphis, TN

Jtiger:

I think you are missing my point.  You say how we are saying we are better than others, in ways we are,  yet you are telling us to examine our selves so you are saying we are wrong and pulling the "think about what you've done card"... not cool. 

I'm perfectly calm but have little patience for those that revel in gluttony and sloth.  A waste of life IMHO.

2012-09-20 9:21 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
freckle face - 2012-09-19 12:36 PM

Jtiger:

Lecture much?

2012-09-22 8:39 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
freckle face - 2012-09-19 3:36 PM

But that was the whole point of the original post. People who AREN'T athletes feelling like people who ARE athletes are doing something wrong and telling them so.

The discussion has morphed a little (lot) since the original post.

I don't tell people they should exercise. I would appreciate people not telling me why I shouldn't exercise. I don't really care what "you" do, and I would prefer you not care what I do.

(I also don't talk about exercise to non triathletes unless specifically asked--but you would be amazed at how many people, in a horrified kind of way, are fascinated with and want to know all about my training. Probably so they can tell their friends about this totally crazy person they know )

2012-09-24 5:37 AM
in reply to: #4409675

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA

Comments are no big deal to me, I enjoy what I do, has nothing to do with them.  I probably get more comments about me always eating at work than anything. 

There is a huge perspective gap with non runners, cyclists and swimmers... i.e. biking 20 miles isn't that much to me... to a non cyclist though that's almost an impossible sounding thing. 

2012-09-24 5:53 AM
in reply to: #4424541

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
xeon - 2012-09-24 5:37 AM

Comments are no big deal to me, I enjoy what I do, has nothing to do with them.  I probably get more comments about me always eating at work than anything. 

There is a huge perspective gap with non runners, cyclists and swimmers... i.e. biking 20 miles isn't that much to me... to a non cyclist though that's almost an impossible sounding thing. 

I see this as more of an issue with a lot of people.  When they ask what I have done and told them I did my 40 mile loop and its 9:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning in the summer they look at me like I have totally lost it.  If I ride the 13 miles for a family dinner, they ask me if I am done for the week.

2012-09-24 7:00 AM
in reply to: #4420098

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Jtiger - 2012-09-20 10:10 AM

Jtiger:

I think you are missing my point.  You say how we are saying we are better than others, in ways we are,  yet you are telling us to examine our selves so you are saying we are wrong and pulling the "think about what you've done card"... not cool. 

I'm perfectly calm but have little patience for those that revel in gluttony and sloth.  A waste of life IMHO.

Not to mention the costs to society of this lifestyle...Higher healthcare premiums for us all when the obese begin their journey through diabetes, heart disease and all the ailments that come with them. 

The OP brought up the subject regarding defending ourselves against those who denigrate being active and fit.  In reality we could be denigrating those that choose to be unhealthy as THEY actually do impact my life (financially)...

To clarify though I do NOT make comments to people who are overweight as there could other underlying issues...I'm just saying if one "side" were to have more of a right to say something I believe it would be from the fit and active side...

Edited by TriMike 2012-09-24 7:10 AM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » "THAT'S why I don't run..." Stupid comments from non-exercisers... Rss Feed  

of 4