Columbia Triathlon Association
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 39m 48s
Overall Rank = 643/1561
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 126/237
Pre-race routine:

Got up a 3am had 2 ensure and a PB sandwich w/ coffee. Got back in bed and tried to chill out until about 4:15am. Got up grabbed my stuff, which was packed the nite b4, and headed out to the transition area, about a 15 min drive.
Event warmup:

Fed off the nervous energy of everyone and tried to stay warm in the January in June weather we were having. Also made sure to check out the directions in and out for the swim, bike and run. Made sure to hang around the racks where the pro's were setting up and was just be completely awestruck by them!!!! I even said "good luck" to Natasha!! :)
Swim
  • 39m 50s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Holy Crap, that had to be the toughtest swim I have ever endured whehter in a race or training. The wind was blowing pretty hard by now and the chop was definetely picking up, it also didn't help that this was by far the biggest wave I have ever started in (240 men). Started towards the back and outside of the wave, like usual for me. However, sighting was difficult for me, as our caps were orange like the buoys and I was getting off line, then I got my googles knocked off by a nice right hook. Got the googles back on but the seal was gone and they quickly began to fill up w/ saltwater (yeah!), which made my sighting even worse. By the time I got into somewhat of a rythym, I was on the inside line of the course, not where I like to be. Had to eventually stop and empty the goggles and get the seal back as I couldn't see sh*& at this point, it was like looking through an aquarium. Once I did this I realized I was inside the triangle (oops) and had to get myself back outside of the next buoy. Then I began to site on the sailboat we had to go around, only to realize again, that I had another buoy to go around. That turn was fun, as I was right next to the buoy and in the "washing machine" and it was on the "super duty" cycle. Phew, Okay so this is where the swim got difficult :(. Once we cleared the point the wind hit us in full effect and it was wanting to blow us into the triangle, which didn't help me since I was on the inside already. The chop was horrendous at this point, thank God I can breath to both sides otherwise I would have really been in trouble. Finally got into some open water and began to get into a rythym and siting fairly well, only to realize that the lifegaurds on their surfboards are wearing birght yellow T-shirts (the same color as the buoys). No wonder I have open water, I am siting to a GD lifegaurd in the middle of the triangle, AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!! Okay, correct my mistake and head back into the washing machine, which is even more crazy at this point with the chop, and promptly get my googles knocked off again, I think it was an upper cut this time, as they almost came off of my head. Okay so it cant get any worse right? Wrong, now the Nettles (jelly fish) start getting me, on the hand, foot I feel stings, okay I can deal with that. Then one decides to get hung up on my ear and go for a little ride with me, Holy Cap for such a small creature they sure do sting like crazy. At this point I had had it and just struggled in on the swim and get the Hell out of the water!!!
What would you do differently?:

Stay to the outside and try and sight better. I actually am very proud of this swim, while it was 7-9 minutes slower than what I know I can swim, with the conditions race day and my errors I feel good about the time. It has also showed me that I can swim through anything and is definitely a great confidence builder for future races.
Transition 1
  • 04m 29s
Comments:

T1 actually went pretty smooth, but I was having some cramping in my chest, likely due to having to fight against the wind on the way in. However, in my over anlyzing mind I am wondering if I am allergice to "Nettles" and am having a reaction. Therefor, took it nice and easy in transition and walked the bike out to the mount point just trying to get myself under control.

Not much in transition, got wetsuit off no problem and cycling gear on.
Bike
  • 2h 53m 58s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Never mistake a flat crouse as an easy course!! I learned this lesson on race day. I knew the wind would be an issue and it was, but I didn't think about the fact that on a flat course (I mean dead flat) you never get a chance to rest, it is basically a 3 hour trainer ride at 20mph hour!

Getting started on the bike was good, but I quickly realized that this day was going to continue to be a challenge. For the first 15-20 miles I felt as though I was going to puke at any moment. I could not really get anything into my stomach (including H2O) for the first 45 minutes for fear of puking. Then once I was able to try and get some nutrition in, I would feel queasy for about 5 minutes or so after each "feed". My HR was fine, around 130-140 but I was just fighting it. I didn't begin to get nutrition in until about mile 20 when I stopped to pee, and just relaxed for a minute or so. This seemed to let my stomach settle and I was able to begin getting some nutrition in at this point.

The wind didn't help either, if it wasn't in our face it seemed to be a cross wind, which kept you on your toes, otherwise you would be eating pavement. The headwinds were nasty, especially, during the last leg on Egypt Road, they were brutal. Twice I came very close to eating pavement due to cross winds that took me by surprise. However, I just laid back when going into a headwind, kept my concetration and took advantage of any tail wind that I could find.

Also my ear is throbing the whole bike from the nettles sting. You would think this would not be a problem, but man it was really uncomfortable.

As tough as the ride was, I don't what else I could do differently, I am proud of my time and determination in those winds.
Transition 2
  • 03m 38s
Comments:

T2 went as smoothly as I could have expected, well almost. Got the bike in a racked no problem, running shoes on, hat. Decided against the fuel belt since there is aid stations every mile. Take off to the run out, get just out of transition and realize that I still have my cycling gloves on, Ahhh Crap :). Pull them off and throw them to TriGirl on my way out on the run, actually was a pretty good throw I must say :).

Take off cycling Gloves :)
Run
  • 1h 58m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Within the first mile I see Natasha Badman coming in to finish, Yell to her that "I love her and she is incredible", this gets her yelling at the runners going out and others start encouraging her. Sent chills up my spin and continues to now as I remember it.

The run was great for me, into a headwind on the way out and wind at my back on the way in. Tried to draft off of others as much as possible on the way out and just cruise on the way in. I peed twice, mile 3 and 7, which was good, I knew I was hydrating well. It was hard to tell, because the winds were drying the sweat off so quickly. On the way in just let the wind push me as much as possible and keep my legs turning over. My quads were screaming at me and I kept changing my stride to keep them from cramping. Ear was still bothering me, felt like it was about 4 times the size it should be, although it wasn't.

The run went really smoothly for me compared to the rest of my race and I was very pleased with my time.

Mile 1: 8:05 AHR 151
Mile 2: 10:08 AHR 147 Pee Break
Mile 3: 8:57 AHR 151
Mile 4: 8:49 AHR 152
Mile 5: 9:14 AHR 153
Mile 6: 9:26 AHR 150
Mile 7: 10:12 AHR 149 Pee Break
Mile 8: 8:53 AHR 156
Mile 9: 9:03 AHR 159
Mile 10: 9:00 AHR 158
Mile 11: 8:25 AHR 156
Mile 12: 9:18 AHR 158
Mile 13.1: 8:53 AHR 166

Nothing!!
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal, some water, kudos and a hug from TriGirl and got my feet under me again. Then signed up for a massage and sat and rested for a bit, went to the med tent and got some meat tenderizer for my ear and the achyness bagan to subside. Packed up transition, since I didn't feel like food yet, then got on line for food. I must say the food spread left a lot to be desired, no hot food at all, just different varieties of cold pasta, including a tortellini alfredo that made your stomach turn just looking at it. Got a massage, next to Natasha (woohoo), and got my gear from transition and headed out for a nice shower and nap. Then for beers, I mean dinner, overlooking the water, It was a great end to a great day!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The wind, which was brutal, without it, I feel I would have knocked 10-15 minuts off my times.

Event comments:

The volunteers and orginization of this race was phenominal. I would definitely do this one again, Vigo knows how to organize and run races. I am definitely looking forward to ChessyMan and while it will be much smaller, I know it will be as well organized and run as this. Thanx Vigo!!!!

Last updated: 2006-01-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:50 | 2112 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 79/237
Overall: 528/1561
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full
Course: Out and back triangle, outbound was marked with orange buoys and inbound yellow.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 04:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:53:58 | 56 miles | 19.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 146/237
Overall: 625/1561
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Single loop through Backwater Wildlife Refuge (Beautiful)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:58:45 | 13.1 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 125/237
Overall: 643/1561
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back flat unshaded course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-16 1:07 PM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Subject: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon

2006-06-16 1:26 PM
in reply to: #456777

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon
Congrats on the finish!

We must have been very close to each other at the bike transition. Our time (to that point) was pretty close. You beat me in the swim, I beat you on the bike.

I also saw Ms. Natascha and cheered her on, it was pretty neat seeing the pros cruising in as we were leaving!
2006-06-18 6:16 AM

Champion

Nice race Dave!  Man, tell me again all the reasons I don't like ocean swims!  But you really smoked the bike and run after all those issues in the water.  I was the same way last year at Hammerfest, felt like crap on the bike after swallowing so much sea water...takes forever for your stomach to settle down.

2006-06-19 11:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California
Wow, and I thought I had it rough on the swim! You really got tangled up in the nettles. Nasty little creatures.  You really did a great job of maintaining composure in very trying circumstances.
2006-06-19 11:53 AM

Pro
Andover
Damn buddy, sounds like it was rough out there.

Nice job stickin' to it and getting across the line in an impressive time!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed