General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Genetics and natural talent vs. hard work? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-09-18 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4417193

User image

Regular
Madison
Subject: RE: Genetics and natural talent vs. hard work?
Left Brain - 2012-09-18 3:11 PM
jrichardtri - 2012-09-18 3:06 PM

There is really only one solution to this. I am 25 and will be the guinea pig for the next 10 years. So I will take all the best gear, coaching and nutrition!Wink

My opinion - talent makes it easier to get close to the line of elite and amatuer athletes but when push comes to shove its sheer guts and will that brings you to elite. Running 4 min miles is not a cake walk for anyone, it hurts and being elite is being able to mentally withstand that hurt. Talent and hard work can both get you there, just some people arent their mentally.

The reason I feel this way is that I have seen complete turn around transformations. In hs a kid went from not even being able to run a mile to being able to run sub 17min 5ks as a sophmore. How? He wanted it bad, not just a little bit but bad. He put in loads of time with the 1st group in xc and hung on till he couldnt hang every time. He never gave up and always fought to be where he was.

Other side of the coin. Another instance from hs. I knew a kid who could run 1:58 in the 800 all day long without practice. Just natural ability. Didnt want to go outside his comfort so he wouldnt go faster but prob couldve gone to sub 152.

I agree the discussion is interesting.  Your two examples don't come anywhere close to MOST.....and a sub 17 5K or 1:58 800 really isn't that fast for fast HS athletes. 

Where do you base a 1:58 not being fast for a HS athlete? I'm pretty sure in most states, that would qualify you for the state meet. And to be one of the top several hundred HS athletes in the country at that distance, I'd say you're fast. I couldn't quite break 2:00, but that race wasn't my focus. Yet I was winning the races I entered except for our county meet in which I took 3rd.

And you completely missed the point of his statement.

Edited by djrigby9 2012-09-18 3:18 PM

2012-09-18 3:17 PM
in reply to: #4417201

User image

Pro
djrigby9 - 2012-09-18 3:14 PM
Left Brain - 2012-09-18 3:06 PM
djrigby9 - 2012-09-18 3:01 PM

Left Brain - 2012-09-18 3:00 PM Let me ask you this....do you think MOST people, given enough time and training and equipment, can run a sub 5:00 mile?

Yes.

If they have the ability to push themselves.

What do you base that on?  I'm not saying you are wrong, though from my experience I don't come anywhere close  to believing MOST people can run a sub 5:00 mile....and there are ALOT of people out there working really hard.

Put it this way, take the next year, maybe even up to 3. Only think about training for your golden sub 5min/mi. Do the work, and I mean the HARD work. Have you ever done repeat 300s, 600s or 800s? So many that you collapse due to sheer exhaustion? That's the type of work that it takes. I watched myself and 2 other average athletes with average parents go from running mid-upper 50sec splits in the 4x400 the year before, to all running 50.x the next due to all 3 of us pushing our limits to qualify for the state meet. That came with time spent pushing ourselves beyond what we thought we could do. We had another athlete who had never run more than a mile come out and join us, and in less than one season went from 56 down to 50.x splits. Maybe it was his genes, but he worked as hard or harder than the rest of us. If you were to ask me if I were to ever do a Half IM 3-4 years ago, I'd have said no way, but now I see absolutely no reason why I can't qualify for the Worlds. But that's because I believe in myself and know that if I do things right, good things can happen. But bad things can too! I could get hurt and never race again.

I ran a sub 4:20 mile in HS.....so yes, I've done the interval work.  My point tis that MOST people can't do it....in fact, the overwhelming majority can't do it.

If your point is valid, and most people can run 5:00 miles with enough work, then the same qould apply to 4:00 miles....even though, realistically speaking, as a percentage of humans, virtually no one can.  It takes genetics.

2012-09-18 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4417210

User image

Regular
Madison
Left Brain - 2012-09-18 3:17 PM

Left Brain - 2012-09-18 3:00 PM Let me ask you this....do you think MOST people, given enough time and training and equipment, can run a sub 5:00 mile?

Yes.

What do you base that on?  I'm not saying you are wrong, though from my experience I don't come anywhere close  to believing MOST people can run a sub 5:00 mile....and there are ALOT of people out there working really hard.

Put it this way, take the next year, maybe even up to 3. Only think about training for your golden sub 5min/mi. Do the work, and I mean the HARD work. Have you ever done repeat 300s, 600s or 800s? So many that you collapse due to sheer exhaustion? That's the type of work that it takes. I watched myself and 2 other average athletes with average parents go from running mid-upper 50sec splits in the 4x400 the year before, to all running 50.x the next due to all 3 of us pushing our limits to qualify for the state meet. That came with time spent pushing ourselves beyond what we thought we could do. We had another athlete who had never run more than a mile come out and join us, and in less than one season went from 56 down to 50.x splits. Maybe it was his genes, but he worked as hard or harder than the rest of us. If you were to ask me if I were to ever do a Half IM 3-4 years ago, I'd have said no way, but now I see absolutely no reason why I can't qualify for the Worlds. But that's because I believe in myself and know that if I do things right, good things can happen. But bad things can too! I could get hurt and never race again.

I ran a sub 4:20 mile in HS.....so yes, I've done the interval work.  My point tis that MOST people can't do it....in fact, the overwhelming majority can't do it.

If your point is valid, and most people can run 5:00 miles with enough work, then the same qould apply to 4:00 miles....even though, realistically speaking, as a percentage of humans, virtually no one can.  It takes genetics.

Or how about 3:00 miles? or 2:00?? Now your breaking it down into what the human body is physically capable of doing throughout a long history of evolution. Records will continuously be broken, does that mean someone will someday run the 100m in 3 seconds. Maybe. I have no clue. We're an amazing species, what I'm getting at is the fact that until either is proven wrong, this discussion can be an endless battle of opinions. I'm a very optimistic person when it comes to the capabilities of humans. Give us enough time and the right science behind it, what we're talking about is completely possible.

2012-09-18 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4415826

So in reverse...no one without talent can break the 5 min/mile barrier?
2012-09-18 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4417209

User image

Pro
djrigby9 - 2012-09-18 3:16 PM

There is really only one solution to this. I am 25 and will be the guinea pig for the next 10 years. So I will take all the best gear, coaching and nutrition!Wink

My opinion - talent makes it easier to get close to the line of elite and amatuer athletes but when push comes to shove its sheer guts and will that brings you to elite. Running 4 min miles is not a cake walk for anyone, it hurts and being elite is being able to mentally withstand that hurt. Talent and hard work can both get you there, just some people arent their mentally.

The reason I feel this way is that I have seen complete turn around transformations. In hs a kid went from not even being able to run a mile to being able to run sub 17min 5ks as a sophmore. How? He wanted it bad, not just a little bit but bad. He put in loads of time with the 1st group in xc and hung on till he couldnt hang every time. He never gave up and always fought to be where he was.

Other side of the coin. Another instance from hs. I knew a kid who could run 1:58 in the 800 all day long without practice. Just natural ability. Didnt want to go outside his comfort so he wouldnt go faster but prob couldve gone to sub 152.

I agree the discussion is interesting.  Your two examples don't come anywhere close to MOST.....and a sub 17 5K or 1:58 800 really isn't that fast for fast HS athletes. 

Where do you base a 1:58 not being fast for a HS athlete? I'm pretty sure in most states, that would qualify you for the state meet. And to be one of the top several hundred HS athletes in the country at that distance, I'd say you're fast. I couldn't quite break 2:00, but that race wasn't my focus. Yet I was winning the races I entered except for our county meet in which I took 3rd.

I live in the midwest, a 1:58 wouldn't have medaled in our state HS meet last year.  A 1:58 would maybe crack the top 500 nationally.  The sub 17:00 5K in cross country likely would not put him in the top 2000 nationally, depending on what end of "sub 17" you are talking about.

No, I didn't miss the point.  You said MOST....I say NO WAY.

2012-09-18 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4417236

User image

Pro
djrigby9 - 2012-09-18 3:23 PM
Left Brain - 2012-09-18 3:17 PM

Yes.

Or how about 3:00 miles? or 2:00?? Now your breaking it down into what the human body is physically capable of doing throughout a long history of evolution. Records will continuously be broken, does that mean someone will someday run the 100m in 3 seconds. Maybe. I have no clue. We're an amazing species, what I'm getting at is the fact that until either is proven wrong, this discussion can be an endless battle of opinions. I'm a very optimistic person when it comes to the capabilities of humans. Give us enough time and the right science behind it, what we're talking about is completely possible.

YES!!!!!!!!!

As it is GENETICALLY passed down.

Thank you!

in reply to: #4417250

User image

Regular
Madison
Left Brain - 2012-09-18 3:26 PM
djrigby9 - 2012-09-18 3:16 PM

I live in the midwest, a 1:58 wouldn't have medaled in our state HS meet last year.  A 1:58 would maybe crack the top 500 nationally.  The sub 17:00 5K in cross country likely would not put him in the top 2000 nationally, depending on what end of "sub 17" you are talking about.

No, I didn't miss the point.  You said MOST....I say NO WAY.

I didn't say medal at state meet. I said qualify. Please don't yell.

Edited by djrigby9 2012-09-18 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4417201

User image

Elite
Ontario
djrigby9 - 2012-09-18 4:14 PM

Yes.

I'll throw in with Lefty in this conversation.  Look at the bolded section.  You could ask a number of people to do what he did, and they would simply not be capable of achieving the goal.  Not because they didn't have the heart, desire, or guts - but they simply did not have the base ability.

Each time people make an argument against genetics, I look at it as though someone is telling all the MOP/BOP athletes who bust their butt that they should in fact be trying harder.  The vast majority of us are never going to train like Pro's and dedicate the time to see what our "true" potential is. But when you compare apples to apples, one age grouper training 10 hours a week vs another one with similiar constraints, responsibilities, etc., there can be vast differences in performance.  In many cases this can be tied to background, perhaps training regime, and in other cases a genetic predisposition to be good/great/okay at a specific activity.

I consider myself as an example.  I tend to be a much better runner than cyclist or swimmer, and in local Tri's I tend to be BFOP.  I don't run nearly as much as many others, I also have zero background in running, but I do have a predisposition with my body type, etc., to run reasonably well.

Yes, hard work is needed to make something of your inate abilities - but you need to have the abilities to begin with.

2012-09-18 3:32 PM

Left Brain - what was your 2 mile? and how far under 420?

Do you coach? Just curious. You have way better knowledge base than most of hs track.

2012-09-18 3:49 PM
in reply to: #4417276

User image

Pro
jrichardtri - 2012-09-18 3:32 PM

Left Brain - what was your 2 mile? and how far under 420?

Do you coach? Just curious. You have way better knowledge base than most of hs track.

I ran alot of miles in under 4:20....never broke 4:15.  I don't know what I ran the two mile in.....the mile was my "long distance".

No, I'm not a coach, but I have a fast kid so I have an idea of what "fast" is at his level.  I also attended every youth/junior elite triathlon in the country this year.  Again, after awhile, you start to get an understanding of what "fast" looks like and what it takes to get there.

I would never downplay hard work.....but talent is just as important to play on the big stages.

2012-09-18 4:15 PM
in reply to: #4417254

User image

Expert
McAllen

haha "yelling". I agree caps lock is rude.

Anyways, just to clarify, genetics means the muscular ability to adapt to a training load and the body type (ex: broad shoulders, long legs, arms, etc.)

2012-09-18 4:20 PM
in reply to: #4417369

User image

Pro
odpaul7 - 2012-09-18 4:15 PM

Anyways, just to clarify, genetics means the muscular ability to adapt to a training load and the body type (ex: broad shoulders, long legs, arms, etc.)

I don't consider caps on the internet to be rude.  I don't care if you type your whole post in caps.....I wasn't yelling....I was shaking my head.  Whenever I do, caps come out. Go figure.

Besides.....the argument is over.  We agreed that through evolution man would get faster.  When you watch really fast people now, you're seeing evolution right before your eyes.

Edited by Left Brain 2012-09-18 4:22 PM
2012-09-18 4:20 PM

User image

Regular
Madison

I think this is a point I've been forgetting to say about a lot of what I've been saying. I do think genetics has a role, yes. However, it's not as large as people may think. I think their role in this is they help 1.) get those who have them 'on their side' there faster. 2.) they help push those with 'the good stuff' just a little higher than those 'without'.

I think overall the point is missed about this topic. I do believe that an 'average joe' can get to the elite level with hard work, and all the necessary tools. However, should he come up against someone with slightly better 'genes' than him/her, with the same training, odds are, he/she will lose. But that's not the bigger picture. I think the whole point of this conversation is about being able to play on the same field, rather than knocking off top contenders.

2012-09-18 4:21 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Most people actually can't/won't qualify for Boston or Kona.  Yes BQ is much easier than KQ.  Statistically speaking BQ is the top 10 percent of the world's marathoners.  KQ is the top 2 percent of the worlds IMers.  Olympics in USA is more like 1 in 100,000,000.  You are not 1 in 100,000,000 based on hard work alone.  To say that most can/will KQ if they work hard but ony the top 2 percent will on any given year does not = most people can/will. 

So I am 45-49 age group.  IM Swim 2:00/100, bike 17.8 mph and run 8:39 mpm.  I need to be in the top 60 in the world or better to qualify. that is 60/436,624,522 1 in 1/34x10^-7 or the top .000001 perentcent.  Granted not everyone in my age group does IMs so of those who do it is the top 1 percent ish, but clearly not an anyone can do it kind of thing.   Dropping to a 1:30/100 swim is not something that will likely happen in my lifetime.  Increasing bike speed 4 mph over 112, I am not hopeful.  The run, ya I could improve the run maybe 10 minutes overall, I have run Boston.   

If you know how to get me to a 1:30 /100 swim and a 21 mph bike, I am all ears.  I have a P2, have done 3 IMs with a 4th planned for this fall and should get in around 6000 miles biked 1500 miles run this year, not sure about the swim.  People who are silly fast underestimate how much work it takes to get sub 19:00 5k or over 20 mph for an IM bike.

Short answer better genetics = less work.  BQ = decent genetics and decent hard work, KQ= really solid genetics and pretty solid work or world class genetics and pretty solid work, Olympics smiled on by God genetics and really hard work.   

2012-09-18 4:21 PM
in reply to: #4417381

User image

Regular
Madison
Left Brain - 2012-09-18 4:20 PM

I don't consider caps on the internet to be rude.  I don't care if you type your whole post in caps.....I wasn't yelling....I was shaking my head.  Whenever I do, caps come out. Go figure.

It's all good. Just some thread fun. lol

2012-09-18 4:22 PM
in reply to: #4417386

User image

Pro
djrigby9 - 2012-09-18 4:21 PM
Left Brain - 2012-09-18 4:20 PM

It's all good. Just some thread fun. lol

Absolutely!

2012-09-18 4:24 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan
The average age grouper "training hard" doesn't even come close to their potential. Training hard as an age grouper will not get you to Kona because it's always "hard" with an asterik (family, job, money, time, ...) My opinion is that 90+% of age groupers are physically capable of qualifying. Most just don't want it bad enough, and aren't willing to make the sacrifices it requires. If you know people that have given it a go, pushed as hard as they can, have the equipment, time, money, etc... and haven't made it yet, they just need keep at it and learn to push harder. That's what the age group qualifiers do. They adapt their mind AND body in ways they never thought possible. Kona qualifying as an age grouper is within reach for us all if we want it bad enough, but that's where it starts....wanting it, and believing it's possible. Using genetics as a prequalifying prerequisite is the first mistake in the mental game if you ever plan to get their. And as an aside, so is telling someone (especially kids) that they have the right genes to accomplish a goal. Not only do you undermine the importance of hard work, you minimize the accomplishment once the goal is achieved.
2012-09-18 4:26 PM
in reply to: #4417391

User image

Pro

DV 1 - 2012-09-18 4:24 PM The average age grouper "training hard" doesn't even come close to their potential. Training hard as an age grouper will not get you to Kona because it's always "hard" with an asterik (family, job, money, time, ...) My opinion is that 90+% of age groupers are physically capable of qualifying. Most just don't want it bad enough, and aren't willing to make the sacrifices it requires. If you know people that have given it a go, pushed as hard as they can, have the equipment, time, money, etc... and haven't made it yet, they just need keep at it and learn to push harder. That's what the age group qualifiers do. They adapt their mind AND body in ways they never thought possible. Kona qualifying as an age grouper is within reach for us all if we want it bad enough, but that's where it starts....wanting it, and believing it's possible. Using genetics as a prequalifying prerequisite is the first mistake in the mental game if you ever plan to get their. And as an aside, so is telling someone (especially kids) that they have the right genes to accomplish a goal. Not only do you undermine the importance of hard work, you minimize the accomplishment once the goal is achieved.

OK

2012-09-18 4:37 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Wow 90 percent of us fit into the top 1 percentile of IMers or higher, shakes head.  Not mathematically possible.  If you are able to have a 90 percent KQ rate as a coach and not be at all selective in who you pick to coach (you have to include the 17+ hour folks),  you will be a rich rich boy.  Where do I sign up to gain these supapowers? 

This is the math of No Child Left Behind, I want 100 percent of students functioning above the 85th percentile on steroids, I want 90 percent of IMers to perform in the top 1 percentile. 

Edited by Baowolf 2012-09-18 4:39 PM
2012-09-18 4:43 PM

User image

Elite
2012-09-18 4:44 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
DV 1 - 2012-09-18 5:24 PM

The average age grouper "training hard" doesn't even come close to their potential. Training hard as an age grouper will not get you to Kona because it's always "hard" with an asterik (family, job, money, time, ...) My opinion is that 90+% of age groupers are physically capable of qualifying. Most just don't want it bad enough, and aren't willing to make the sacrifices it requires. If you know people that have given it a go, pushed as hard as they can, have the equipment, time, money, etc... and haven't made it yet, they just need keep at it and learn to push harder. That's what the age group qualifiers do. They adapt their mind AND body in ways they never thought possible. Kona qualifying as an age grouper is within reach for us all if we want it bad enough, but that's where it starts....wanting it, and believing it's possible. Using genetics as a prequalifying prerequisite is the first mistake in the mental game if you ever plan to get their. And as an aside, so is telling someone (especially kids) that they have the right genes to accomplish a goal. Not only do you undermine the importance of hard work, you minimize the accomplishment once the goal is achieved.

Nope. This is akin to saying that anyone can rival Stephen Hawking if they just study hard enough and want it bad enough.
Everybody is NOT equal.

Some people are just inherently faster, stronger, more athletic, more flexible, and lighter than others. When THOSE people work hard and compare against the "average" person that also works hard, there won't even be a contest as to who wins. The "average" person has to train hard just to get up to the starting point of the more physically gifted.

2012-09-18 4:46 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

DV 1 - 2012-09-18 5:24 PM The average age grouper "training hard" doesn't even come close to their potential. Training hard as an age grouper will not get you to Kona because it's always "hard" with an asterik (family, job, money, time, ...) My opinion is that 90+% of age groupers are physically capable of qualifying. Most just don't want it bad enough, and aren't willing to make the sacrifices it requires. If you know people that have given it a go, pushed as hard as they can, have the equipment, time, money, etc... and haven't made it yet, they just need keep at it and learn to push harder. That's what the age group qualifiers do. They adapt their mind AND body in ways they never thought possible. Kona qualifying as an age grouper is within reach for us all if we want it bad enough, but that's where it starts....wanting it, and believing it's possible. Using genetics as a prequalifying prerequisite is the first mistake in the mental game if you ever plan to get their. And as an aside, so is telling someone (especially kids) that they have the right genes to accomplish a goal. Not only do you undermine the importance of hard work, you minimize the accomplishment once the goal is achieved.

How many times have you qualified for Kona?

Mark

2012-09-18 4:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Things might differ with the different triathlon disciplines. It seems ever time we see human interest story on an Olympic swimmer, it's accompanied by video of a kid on a swim team. The technique takes time to learn.

On the other hand, I'm sure it's not common, but for running, there is Abdi Adbirahman who came to the sport relatively late.

"It wasn't until his second semester at Pima Community College in Tucson that Abdirah-man's running talent was finally discovered, in a story that's become part of running legend. "I hung out with a bunch of athletes, and every day at 3 they'd go to practice, leaving me alone," he says. "I decided I needed to be on a team, so I went to the track coach and asked him if I could join. He told me to come back Monday when they were doing a 5-mile run.

"So I showed up, wearing jeans and Rockport shoes, and only their No. 1 guy beat me, and he had to outsprint me at the end. So the coach gave me a pair of shoes and said I was on the team," Abdirahman recalls. The following weekend he was in his first track race, a 5,000m. "I had no idea what to do," he says. "I'd sprint 200, then jog 200." He wound up running 15:05."

The whole article can be found at http://runningtimes.com/Print.aspx?articleID=25919.

It's a very interesting subject. I am pushing to see how far I can go with what I have, even if I never run a 5-minute mile.

2012-09-18 4:56 PM
in reply to: #4417402

User image

Expert
McAllen
Baowolf - 2012-09-18 4:37 PM

Wow 90 percent of us fit into the top 1 percentile of IMers or higher, shakes head.  Not mathematically possible.  If you are able to have a 90 percent KQ rate as a coach and not be at all selective in who you pick to coach (you have to include the 17+ hour folks),  you will be a rich rich boy.  Where do I sign up to gain these supapowers? 

This is the math of No Child Left Behind, I want 100 percent of students functioning above the 85th percentile on steroids, I want 90 percent of IMers to perform in the top 1 percentile. 

The most important part about his post was to "make sacrifices". 90% of IM finishers can do it. But what's the percent of those willing to put in the work for KQ? Maybe... 10%? Of those 10% how much more does it narrow down to who has time available to train like they want to? (I made up the 10% off the top of my head)

Just what I was thinking reading your post.

2012-09-18 4:59 PM
in reply to: #4417425

User image

Expert
McAllen

Michelle that sounds like a great article to read! Now I'm absolutely certain there are those people who do it without trying and thats the natural inherent ability at play. However my original play was that the "average joe"can get to that level through work. I'm absolutely certain they won't win in those situations, but to get to that level...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Genetics and natural talent vs. hard work? Rss Feed  

of 4