Lin-Mark Computer Sports/TG-2005
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 23s
Overall Rank = 15/272
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:00AM. Had a bowl of cereal, banana and drank some water and started drinking some Gatorade. Started feeling a little sick in the stomach but I think it was more related to nerves than anything. Slept pretty well the night before and was ready to go. Jumped in the car at 5:45 and was at the race by 6:30 AM.
Event warmup:

Set up the transition area first thing. Not fun. The bikes were racked in the sand. Oh well nothing you can do about that. Took the bike for a 5 mile warm up rode out about and back. Nothing too hard kept legs spinning in the 95-105 range, running pretty slow at 19-22 MPH.

Got in the water and swam about 300 Meters. Water was nice and warm, clean and really clear. Not too bad at all.
Swim
  • 07m 51s
  • 644 meters
  • 01m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was just flat out SH!T. Considering it's my background 23rd is a mess. Just didn't have it all together. I think if it was a mile swim I would have probably done a lot better. Need to really work on faster tempo pacing leading up to NJ State Tri. Need more speed work here. This will change.
What would you do differently?:

Train a lot harder in the water. Need more speed work here.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

T1 was ok considering it was in the sand and I didn't have a foot bath. I used my extra water to wash my feet off.

A little more organized now that I know what to expect. I kept the bare essentials in the area. Everything else went back in the bag. That was a great move.
Bike
  • 37m 42s
  • 16 miles
  • 25.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Yeah baby! This made up for the swim. I honestly got caught in a pact after mile 2 and stayed with these guys all the way until the end. The first two miles I passed a lot of riders and was not being passed at all. Pretty funny.

Rode the rest of the ride with the hammer down and just kept comfortable. I had no clue what to expect for the rest of the race since it was my first. Looking back I would have broke from my pack at the 8 mile mark and really set the pace harder. I think there were times were I backed way off just to stay with my pack. Would love to do that again.

Nothing except put it down harder in the middle of the race about mile 8. Really open it up and lose the "I have a run coming up" thing. That's just junk, you can't make up later on what you don't do early in the race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Rubber band legs. I heard about it but never felt it. Whooo that was fun. Again the sand was a pain in the nuts. Feet were a bit swollen too and it was harder to get into my yankzz than I though. Overall ok.

A little faster would be nice.
Run
  • 19m 42s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Caught three people. One in the first .25 mile and the other two by the first water station. Stayed with one guy all the way until the end. Pretty solid pace and I felt great. Took off down the end and passed him and started working on someone else. But just didn't have enough.

Not sure. Since leg injury 2 months ago has left me with little running training I guess train smarter and train more. Only put in 30 miles between May and June and that is not enough.
Post race
Warm down:

Took a nice light jog to loosen legs. Walked off legs for a bit and really started with the hydration.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Terrible swim and not enough running training. Add these two in and I would say a Top 5 finish is in store.

Event comments:

Race was well organized and a great time. Happens that my father in law know the chief of police who was running the race. Pretty nice to meet him. Overall I am glad that I picked this as my first TRI. Sad it's over. I would wake up tomorrow and do it again.....

Last updated: 2006-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:51 | 644 meters | 01m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 23/272
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri Shorts
Course: Box swim starting at the left and swimming right.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:42 | 16 miles | 25.46 mile/hr
Overall: 21/272
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Roads were below average at best. Lots of repaired sections of the road. Other than that, no traffic which was great.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:42 | 03.11 miles | 06m 20s  min/mile
Overall: 21/272
Performance: Average
Course: Of road trail run. Up and down, sandy and shaded. But it was hot back in the woods.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-17 3:44 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Thundergust Triathlon

2006-06-17 4:55 PM
in reply to: #457487

User image

Extreme Veteran
Provo, UT (my heart is in Seattle)
Subject: RE: Thundergust Triathlon
Excellent race!  I wish that I could call a crappy day swimming 1:13 per 100 in an OWS.  You hammered that bike out!
2006-06-17 9:11 PM
in reply to: #457514

User image

Expert
Thanks I appreciate it. It really felt great for my first tri....

You seem like your training pretty hard after looking at your logs. There is no reason that you can't get your swim times down. Just keep on hammering and you will get there. It takes time. Be persistant. Good luck!

Edited by gadzinm 2006-06-17 9:15 PM
2006-06-21 10:01 AM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ

Mike

Great job!!!!  you had a killer bike and run...   i wish i could run that fast...   You are going to great that the NJ race.... keep up the good work

2006-06-21 10:53 AM

User image

Expert
Thanks a lot. Much appreciated.

I have not had a chance to get that team applicaion in yet. I will take care of that this week.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Thundergust Triathlon Rss Feed