General Discussion Race Reports! » Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Topeka, Kansas
United States
Topeka Tinman
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 53s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Good night sleep two nights before the race (the night that really counts, not the night before the race).

Got to the hotel with an hour to spare to register, and the lines were a bit long for that (one person doing the late registers and the team check-ins). Reigstered as a Clydesdale (I dunno why, but I saw it, and it was only over 200 lbs., so I thought, "why not?").

After that, Mark and I went to the lake/park, drove the bike and run, then biked the run route. Felt good to loosen the legs a bit. Chain came off twice in the hills. The hills on the run reminded me of the path around Tablerock on Holiday Island in Arkansas.

Afterwards we grabbed some chow at Olive Garden and called home to our kids and wives. Then one beer at the hotel lounge (Mark might have wanted more) and I was ready for bed. Out by midnight.

Some alarm woke me up in the hotel at about 3:30 and I woke up thinking it was our alarm, ready to make coffee, until we realized the time. Never quite slept as well after - like a fire alarm type deal but only once. Up at about 5:45 making coffee and grabbing a bagel from downstairs. Left stuff there, and at the park at 6:45 and got my chip and marked. Well organized coming in.

Long porta pot lines, music, and large crowd. Set up transition area (no required spots/racks for the bikes) and just hung out and watched Oly folks early on in a lawn chair with Mark until my heat, the last one, at 8:55.
Event warmup:

Being heat 11, and numbers 6-11 were all sprint, I just stood around and did a very little bit of shoulder stretching. Started in the water, though, so I did dip in the water before the start.
Swim
  • 06m 25s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started great in crawl, with easy no trouble breathing. A little drafting, and kept up pretty well at first. Rounding the bouy was a pain, and I should have gone wider, but was in the chop/mix at that point. Not a great deal of success in the last 100 yards, where I did mostly breast stroke, and while I kept up for the most part, it was more tiring, I'm sure.
What would you do differently?:

More freestyle open-water swimming to go the distance at race speed. More race practice too.
Transition 1
  • 03m 27s
Comments:

Slow, primarily because of socks and GPS. Ran side of hill to mounting area. Not great.

Really might want to skip both the socks and the GPS on the next one. Keep it more simple. Scope out and decide best path in transition area.
Bike
  • 27m 43s
  • 8.24 miles
  • 17.84 mile/hr
Comments:

The park was rather congested. Once out, I could go faster.

Legs a little tweaked, either from the short hilly ride last night, or from doing some scissor kicking on the breast stroke (not as efficient for the legs as the crawl - remember that).

Passed a lot of riders (heat before was all women, and I passed a bunch of them, I think). Felt strong on the hills, and need to work more on my own bike.

I wanted a gel, and to drink, and did so, but think I could have kept going faster then. Seemed to slip into just riding speed not racing speed.

Didn't drink as much but the bike was a lot shorter than my first race and somewhat shorter than the last, so I only took one bottle.

No problems with slipping the chain off the rear cog, though, so that was averted.

As noted, pretty narrow and hard to pass on a few spots in the park(frustrations on the park roads coming and going).

Legs got stronger on the bike.

Clipless pedals, that is where I need the help, I think . . .

Remember to always check air pressure too. Any way to get that squeak out of my crank? Seat height fit?

One water bottle worked fine.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

It always surprises me how little there is to do in T2 if you ride with running shoes. Clipless pedals? I've got cages, for crying out loud, and in a short bike ride, would it be worth it? Grabbed the rest of the drink and headed out.

Hustle a bit more.
Run
  • 28m 7s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Run started tough and perceived slow, not passing anyone. The lady by me started a cramp, and so I thought I would too. . . contageous like a yawn, but ran it out and was fine. Just still don't feel warmed up and running and breathing freely after the bike. More bricks, and more running in general might help. Less weight certainly would.

No GPS on the run, but I monitored my HR okay. Not sure if that is a good thing or not. HR was up there most of the time.

I did pretty well dealing with the hills, probably from running in Arkansas. Passed a few, then some passed me like I was standing still.

The slog got smoother with my breathing, and I felt stronger as I went along, until the last hill up to Tinman Loop, and then I just didn't want to kick it to the end. Not enough perceived as left, even though that was my hope. Probably had a kick in me, just haven't really found it yet in the race setting.

Speed work and intervals to deal with the kick I lack, and my slow pace. It is time - six months (plus) of base work is plenty, I think.

Work on perceived effort and perceived pace recognition.
Post race
Warm down:

Downed a GAtorade Endurance right away. I like that stuff okay. Then, relaxed in a lawn chair in the shade a little bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still new to all of this, have some extra weight to lose, and gotta get relaxed on the swim as that is foundational. Need faster clipless pedals?

Event comments:

Great race - the weather held out. Must have been 700 participants there.

Last updated: 2006-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:25 | 300 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Simple out round the bouy, and then back to the transition area, in a triangle shape.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:27
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:27:43 | 08.24 miles | 17.84 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Out of the park and onto the blacktop roads and out of town, somewhat hilly at first. Then back and down quiet roads, to the park.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:07 | 03.1 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Out to the end of Tinman loop, then out and back on lake road, so lots of hills. Lotsa shade too. Hills reminded me of Arkansas.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-17 5:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Nebraska
Subject: Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2006-06-18 12:13 PM
in reply to: #457516

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Great job!!

Yeah I believe the alarm in the hotel went off on my floor because of some party people coming in late and doing something do dismantle the ceiling tiles by the elevator.

I was in heat #9, women age 13-39 (large group). I am certain you passed me on the bike (along with everyone else)!!
2006-06-20 5:39 PM
in reply to: #457831

User image

Veteran
Nebraska
Subject: RE: Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Thanks! 

I was in a room right by the elevator on 3rd floor and started making coffee when the alarm went off (until I realized the time).  It makes me suspicious that you seem to know exactly how it happened. . .  

In the race I was on a blue older Trek - it is older than half the participants!  (1980). 

Great job on your race report.   

Kevin

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed