General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long Ride Recommendation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-24 11:22 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Long Ride Recommendation

My bike ride of my Ironman Florida training will be this Sunday (8 hours - 95 cadence in zone 2).  Yes, I said 8 hours Cry  I rode 6 hours on the Silver Comet yesterday and desperately need a change in scenery.  Any suggestions out there?

2012-09-24 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4424984

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Subject: RE: Long Ride Recommendation

Hey, I was out there 6 hours yesterday too!

I have no constructive input, I just keep riding the comet training for B2B.  I guess I mix it up with ride partners, ipod, and treats of a pb power bar when I get to certain mile markers. And while I'm out there I daydream about what I'm going to eat when I get done. It is boring, but it's also probably the best training for those races around here.

Good luck!

2012-09-24 12:53 PM
in reply to: #4425128

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Well, there is always 6 Gap on Sunday....

For a change in scenery you could always go ride the Bud Plant loop(s). Relatively flat (just rollers here and there) on the front part anyway. The back part after the 100 mile turn-off is kinda lumpy - so I would just do the 66 mile loop if I was specifically training for IMFL. there will be lots of folks out riding as well so you won't feel so lonely. Has to be just about the best marked course around as well. If you want to go to the other side of town I really like riding the Covington century route. Plenty of places to short cut it and lots of flat riding. But you will want to have a map/gps/smart phone with you.

2012-09-24 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Apropos of nothing, yesterday at SCT I came as close to being t-boned by a car at one of the intersections as I ever care to be...

Weird little intersection right at mi/marker 13 where the trail turns from asphalt to concrete, I blew through a stop sign where I thought I had a line of sight for traffic in both directions - there's almost never traffic here - a car had just made a turn onto the road and is coming from my right. SCT at this spot is downhill as you're heading back to the start and I was well over 20mph when I see the car heading straight for me...he managed to slow down but if there'd been one more coat of paint on his front bumper, it would have been a hit. Totally my fault and I'm grateful he was paying attention.

To the OP, I still prefer SCT for riding in aerobars but have you tried SilkSheets? Lots of ways to make a ride add up to 8hrs if you mix and match the routes...
2012-09-24 2:05 PM

User image

Regular

I hear  you, Tom, on the Comet.  Being out there so long yesterday, I saw some major wrecks and close calls. With the weather being so nice this weekend, it looked like I285 on Monday morning out there with all of the walkers and small kids on bikes.  I really stopped trying to even get in my aero bars for the last 4.5 miles b/c I'm always on the lookout for kids.  On Sunday though, it was more like for the first 7 miles it was very congested.  I will probably start a little further out next time.  

I think I've decided on 4+ loops of 31 at Catersville.  I have a friend that wants to do one or possibly two loops with me.  So if anyone wants to do loops on Sunday, I'm starting at 7AM. 

2012-09-24 2:15 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

For the love of all that his holy, get OFF the Silver Comet Trail.  In my humble opinion, there is no good to be gained from riding there in regards to training for FL at this point.  Especially for 8 hrs. 

Please go to Cartersville and do the 66 mile loop or the 48 mile loop or the 31 mile loop.  These will not only break up the monotony of riding but actually give you strength to ride better for the IM FL course.  As others have said, the course is very well marked and you will be a better rider for it.

I will say it again...get OFF the comet....please.

Go here: http://www.backroadscentury.org/ride-information/route-maps-ride-wi... can even download the file onto your Garmin and it will beep if you go off-course.

2012-09-24 6:07 PM
in reply to: #4425341

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Marvarnett - 2012-09-24 3:15 PM

For the love of all that his holy, get OFF the Silver Comet Trail.  In my humble opinion, there is no good to be gained from riding there in regards to training for FL at this point.  Especially for 8 hrs. 

Please go to Cartersville and do the 66 mile loop or the 48 mile loop or the 31 mile loop.  These will not only break up the monotony of riding but actually give you strength to ride better for the IM FL course.  As others have said, the course is very well marked and you will be a better rider for it.

Go here: http://www.backroadscentury.org/ride-information/route-maps-ride-wi... can even download the file onto your Garmin and it will beep if you go off-course.

Are you suggesting that he ride Cartersville for 8 hours?  Or do a shorter ride of a hillier course?

And to OP, it is in fact very well marked.  If I can't get lost there, anyone should be good.

2012-09-24 6:14 PM
in reply to: #4425669

User image

Regular
jessica71980 - 2012-09-24 7:07 PM

Are you suggesting that he ride Cartersville for 8 hours?  Or do a shorter ride of a hillier course?

And to OP, it is in fact very well marked.  If I can't get lost there, anyone should be good.

Not the suggester - but, I personally wouldn't shorten the ride just because of the hills - it's not that bad.  Also - the 66 mile ride is one of the most peaceful routes around.  Rarely a car, beautiful farms and not a lot of climbing.  The 100 mile route is pretty terrible on the back section - so I agree to sticking with loops of the shorter routes.  It's amazingly well marked and there are plenty of gas stations for refueling.  You'll not want to ride the comet again...

2012-09-24 7:07 PM

User image

Veteran

There's a few guys who ride most Saturday mornings from Dunwoody High School at 6:30am (bring lights) for an out and back 15 at an easy pace, to return in time for the 7:30am group ride of about 35 miles.  These rides have a variety of terrain, but mostly rolling, some flat, only 3 or 4 climbs of note.  

It's a friendly group and most of the riders are very steady.  The 7:30 ride splits into A (20+ mph) and B (17+ mph) groups.  They stop half way to refill water bottles.  The group doesn't mind triathletes and aerobars, just use common sense and don't ride aero in the middle of the pack.  Hang out at the back, or occasionally pull through and take a pull.  

Safe, in-town riding, as the pack is more visible to the motorists.  Yeah, yeah, drafting smafting, group riding builds bike handling skills, keeps the ride interesting, and covering the surges in the pace is good interval work.  The bottom line is you can do 50 miles, without worrying about which way to turn and with the traffic visibility of the peloton.  I recommend these group rides.

2012-09-25 9:44 AM

You can do the Buckhead Loop a few times but you have to deal with Buckhead / Sandy Springs neighborhood traffic, roads that are not in the best condition, and more traffic lights than you probably care to deal with.  The upside is the elevation change and the amazing mansions you ride by.

Peachtree Bikes has a few routes on their website.  

2012-09-26 7:43 AM
in reply to: #4425341

New user

Dan, I got an error page from the link.  Is there somewhere with a map/directions for those without a garmin?

I'm riding the SCT right now, but would love to get in some other rides.  The road crossings are the biggest hassle for me.  Early Sat/Sun is fine until I return back to mile zero, and then it gets crowded, but that's usually not too bad as I'm slowing down for the cool-down anyway.  It's pretty empty on Wednesday late afternoons.

Thanks!

2012-09-26 8:02 AM

New user

Took a bit more Google searching than I expected, but I found some Cartersville loop descriptions.

2012-09-26 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4425669

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
jessica71980 - 2012-09-24 7:07 PM

Great question!

Honestly, I would NOT recommend riding for 8 hrs period, but that's another issue. 

I would not shorten the distance required for the ride.  The hills are not that bad, I'd call them rollers at best.  Being out on the open road allows for continuous pedaling (which you can't really do on the SCT) and for strength building which will pay off in spades during IM FL.  I can only think of 2 sections at C-Ville where one would be required to stop pedaling.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long Ride Recommendation Rss Feed