United States
US Road Sports & Entertainment Group
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 33m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F 45-49
Age Group Rank = 22/27
Pre-race routine:

Times off my watch. Accurate to within a few seconds around transition. I suck I know it whatever. And I am too lazy to slug thru results that are not by age group to get rankings for each section.

Got up and did the transition thing. Took the boat over to the island. Ate 1/2 a cliff bar on the boat and had some DC and accelerade. I didn't know it but I was on the first boat over.
Event warmup:

Swam to shore from the boat
Swim
  • 33m 20s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a pretty cool swim. They ferry you over to an island and then you have to jump off the boat (About 6 feet down) and swim to shore. Then you have to sit on the island a LONG TIME waiting for your wave. Fortunately they only had 3 waves. The info they gave you RE where the boat left from (NONE) was poor and regarding when to get the boats was poor too

ANYWAY. That was kind of cool and you could see the boats that came in after ours REALLY being pushed by the current. I guess this notoriously is a tough swim due to current. Personally I can think of several St. A swims that were FAR harder than this.

You did fight current to the first turn then it pushed you some then there was no push. I fought quite a while to get clear water but I am really out of good swim shape right now an this is about were I expected to be. I would have been shocked if it were under 30 minutes. We started way to the right because the current was pushing the other waves to the left.

Right before our wave started the DJ on the island was playing "call me maybe" and as it was an all womens wave we were all singing along. That was fun :)
What would you do differently?:

More consistent traing would have helped a lot. I had swim challeneges in Texas and as I was so depressed there it was difficult to haul myself off the couch to do much of anything, it is what it is. I am so thankful to be in a better place mentally, emotionally and professionally and have my life so much better since moving back to FL
Transition 1
  • 03m 49s
Comments:

I had a little trouble getting the speed suit off. It was a long run into transition. I walked. Had my shoes on the bike and did excellent getting into them

run more walk less :)
Bike
  • 1h 21m 3s
  • 25.73 miles
  • 19.05 mile/hr
Comments:

I am extremely pleased with this bike. First of all I did not expect to be much better than 1:30. Also its a 2 loop course and you go over one good sized bridge and 2 smaller ones a total of 2 times. I am shyte at hills......got none to train on and there were 3 hairpin turns each loop where you had to slow down to about zero and I was SUPER careful. I was unfamiliar with teh course and due to a LOT of rain the preceeding day there were wet spots I also took great care on. Plus I am fat and not in great shape right now. That said I am hell on a down hill and on the flats. I had a lot of fun on this and was a little more aggresive the second loop as I had a better idea of what to expect.

Find a bridge to practice on. Loose weight :) I am really quite pleased with this performance. I should have/could have drank more
Transition 2
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

Came in and got to my rack. Not too many bikes there...GOOD!! The person next to my had racked backwards and I could not rack properly so I flipped my bike around too. Sat down and dried my feet and put socks and shoes on. I already had a big blister on my toe and fortunately my bandaging had survived the first 2 events. I need the socks. thats al I'm gonna say. Shoes on, hat, sunglasses, race belt, grabbed a gel. Off I go

I need the socks and I am not gonna podium. Run more walk less
Run
  • 1h 33m 12s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 15m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Well this was a disappointment. I did not expect it to be great or even good but I expected better than this. The REALLY pathetic thing is that I actually ran some of this. My left foot hurt from the first step. I initially had trouble catching my breath. I have not raced short course in SO LONG. I ran out of transition and then trued a 3:1 buto nly made ti 2 minutes running. Walked a minute 2 minutes running. then I got to the frigging mountain of a bridge. Um yeah. RIGHT. I ran 2 lite poles and walked two up the top. Ran down and tried to resume my run walk. RRRIIIGGGHHT.

I dropped to a run to a cone walk to a cone. I had several other racers join me. My foot was KILLING ME. I tried to walk on the outside of the foot the inside of my foot. Nope. It was warm but it was not bothering me. I took cytomax and water at each station and ice when they offered it. That went in my cap and down my back. Kept trying to run. Stupid bridge. Did not make any effort to run up it. Made a big effort to run down it. Continued with the run walk thing thru the finish.

Foot transplant please? I wish I had had my own fluids.
Post race
Warm down:

Found pumpkin. Dranks some water and packed up

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, too much body weight, injured foot

Event comments:

This was a great race really. I would highly reccomend it and do it again in a heartbeat, hopefully with a better run next time :)

Last updated: 2012-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:20 | 1640 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/27
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: speed suit TYR
Course: point to point like the number 7
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:21:03 | 25.73 miles | 19.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/27
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 2 loop course
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:33:12 | 06.21 miles | 15m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/27
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back over an ENORMOUS FRIGGING BRIDGE
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-25 10:24 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: Escape to Miami - Olympic Course

2012-09-25 1:58 PM
in reply to: #4426453

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Escape to Miami - Olympic Course
Great job, Sue!  You know this is all just training for IMFL! :D
2012-09-26 5:16 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Loved your descriptions of the race - made me remember when I did it! You did great and that bike was smoking on a tough course. The run is brutal, no doubt. CONGRATULATIONS again on a great race!
2012-09-26 7:15 AM

Uxbridge
Nice job Sue! Sounds like a really fun venue. Glad you are in a place that you can have some fun!
2012-09-29 4:25 PM

User image

Great work out there!

Sounds like you had a good time on the bike.  So sorry that you are having issues with blisters and what not on your feet.  The swim sounded interesting, not my cup of tea...

2012-10-01 10:28 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape to Miami - Olympic Course Rss Feed