General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What races are on your wish list (in Texas)? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-11-13 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4479948

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: What races are on your wish list (in Texas)?
onurleft - 2012-11-02 3:21 AM

Put Kemah, Bridgeland, & Houston on your calendars in 2013. We would love to have you all come down.

What do we have to do to get more of the Austin and Dallas crowds to come down for Onurmark races (Kemah, Bridgeland, Houston)? We are selling out far in advance but we'd like to alter our demographic a bit this year and pull in more out-of-town business. Our swag bags in 2013 will be second to none (rival River Cities) and we have some of the most safe, fun, unique courses in Texas. We have a loyal following in the Houston areas but we'd like to see a bigger crowd from Austin and Dallas. I know everyone up there (or a lot of you at least) are getting our promo emails throughout the year : ) What is stopping you from coming down and racing (if you're not)? We are always looking for ways to have out-of-towners that have never done one of our races come down and give it a go and we appreciate your feedback on this. Thanks guys!

I think for a lot it is travel.  The time it takes to travel, hotel expenses, and then the drive home once you're tired.  Not so much for me, I usually schedule a day or two vacation following the race and make a fun trip out of it.  I just wanted to take this first season and make sure it was something I was going to enjoy.  So now that I am sufficiently hooked, I am branching out.  I must say the unique start for Kemah is what is going to bring me in next April.

Race Goals for next year

-Enchanted Rock Duathlon in March

-Kemah in April

-Buffalo Springs in June

I will also be doing some sprints for fun along the way next year as well.

2012-11-13 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4496329

User image

Veteran
Austin
dsand97 - 2012-11-13 10:01 AM

Put Kemah, Bridgeland, & Houston on your calendars in 2013. We would love to have you all come down.

What do we have to do to get more of the Austin and Dallas crowds to come down for Onurmark races (Kemah, Bridgeland, Houston)? We are selling out far in advance but we'd like to alter our demographic a bit this year and pull in more out-of-town business. Our swag bags in 2013 will be second to none (rival River Cities) and we have some of the most safe, fun, unique courses in Texas. We have a loyal following in the Houston areas but we'd like to see a bigger crowd from Austin and Dallas. I know everyone up there (or a lot of you at least) are getting our promo emails throughout the year : ) What is stopping you from coming down and racing (if you're not)? We are always looking for ways to have out-of-towners that have never done one of our races come down and give it a go and we appreciate your feedback on this. Thanks guys!

I think for a lot it is travel.  The time it takes to travel, hotel expenses, and then the drive home once you're tired.  Not so much for me, I usually schedule a day or two vacation following the race and make a fun trip out of it.  I just wanted to take this first season and make sure it was something I was going to enjoy.  So now that I am sufficiently hooked, I am branching out.  I must say the unique start for Kemah is what is going to bring me in next April.

Race Goals for next year

-Kemah in April

-Buffalo Springs in June

Did you do Enchanted Rock this past year.  It sold out in six hours last year.

2012-11-13 3:48 PM
in reply to: #4497029

User image

Expert
TXwildcat - 2012-11-13 3:28 PM
dsand97 - 2012-11-13 10:01 AM

Race Goals for next year

-Kemah in April

-Buffalo Springs in June

Did you do Enchanted Rock this past year.  It sold out in six hours last year.

WOW!  No I didn't, thanks for the heads up.  So I guess I should say I'll try and do Enchanted rock this year.

2012-11-14 7:07 PM

User image

Master
Houston

Trying to pull in better talent from out of town eh!  I'm going to have to sign up earlier than normal!

2012-11-15 4:58 PM

User image

DFW, Tejas

The group i train and race with had been discussing Kemah but now that you say the SWAG is close to River Cities it may put us over the edge.

2012-11-16 7:37 AM
in reply to: #4448896

User image

Expert
I have waved the Enchanted Rock Duathlon as I am now a part of a team for the Texas Independence Relay.

2012-11-20 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4492310

User image

Let your buddy know I'm down for the swim leg of the 70.3.  Not the fastest, but I enjoy getting the job done!

uhcoog - 2012-11-09 4:08 PM
txjp - 2012-11-09 3:18 PM

For me to travel it needs to be a bigger race. Sprints and Olympics are all over (sprints more than Olympic). The little gym I swim in even has a Sprint. To me thats like 5k, not many people that I know travel for a 5k they just find something local.

Thats just my 2cents. 

Kemah looks to be an awesome race though!

Jason

Kemah is an awesome race.  I would travel from just about anywhere within 5 hours of Houston for that race.  Wish I could work it in this year especially given the insane amount of goodies being provided.

So in re: Fmode's post I know several triathletes that won't do ocean swims.  What's up with that?  I have a buddy looking to put together a relay team for 70.3 Galveston and he's had a dozen or so folks tell him no based on the swim, and yes I know that Offat's (sp?) Bayou isn't technically the ocean.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What races are on your wish list (in Texas)? Rss Feed  

of 2