General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sykesville, Maryland
United States
JOANNA M. NICOLAY MELANOMA FOUNDATION
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 6s
Overall Rank = 135/247
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 9/12
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 445ish and got some food in my. Oatmeal and a cup of yogurt, got some fluids in my also since the day before the race was pretty warm. Got all my stuff in the car and headed on the road for the 30 min drive to the race. Got to the race around 6ish and set up my transition area all well. Or well alot better then last time. Got body marked and met up with some of my family (cousin Joe, and Uncle Woody) who were also in the tri.
Event warmup:

Warmed up by doing some slight stretching before hopping in the "warm-up" pool. There wasn't anything warm about this pool, definately a wake up call when you jumped in. Then when my number range was called got into line made several bathroom stops before this. (Last tri I had a problem of needing to pee from the bike to the run). Got into the pool around 8ish, of the Open wave.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 400 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim went well, got into the pool and tried to maintain a good pace. I was trying also to keep count of the laps just incase the volunteers (kids) messed up :). I came up with what I thought was 350m completed and the girl yelled at me saying " 5 more to go.. GO GO GO !!" I yell back "WHAT!" and turn and go. Realizing very little time to argue and just go. The swim I got out at around 720ish, which was I believe my best time when doing a 400m swim.
What would you do differently?:

Focus better on the swim, get more anti fog for my goggles
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I quicky ran into T1, with my family (mom, girlfriend, aunts, cousins, Joe) cheering for me. I quickly removed my cap and goggles ran with them and tried to calm down and not forget anything. Got my socks and shoes on quickly, and helmet, glasses, and was off. I don't have the offical time, but I felt pretty good.

Try and learn how to get on the bike with your shoes on the bike
Bike
  • 49m 45s
  • 14 miles
  • 16.88 mile/hr
Comments:

Got out of T1 really good and got up to speed as fast as I could. I had to go down this driveway to get onto the main road (Route 26 for local MD people). On the way down the driveway they had speed bumps and my frame pump popped off cause of the bump. I got some fluids in my and tried to calm down again and focus on a good bike ride. Felt good as I rode and passed several people on the ride. Definately a boost of confidence. Started to focus on using the right gearing and pushing through the small rolling hills to continue my speed. There were two killer hills that were roughly 1/4 mile long and had a gradual hill. Smallest clog and ring didn't help at all. Also near the end of the bike ride I had a very tough hill that made its way through this small farm home, almost killed my legs but I pushed through. Took a big sighed relief after I saw the end and knew I was almost done. But I felt good on the bike by every person I passed I said good luck to and passing on your left. I think the people enjoyed the nice smile as I whizzed by them. :)

Work more on hills, a little hard to train that way when I go to school in the land of the flat. But yes more trainign on hills and rolling hills
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Quickly put my bike back and saw my Uncle get out of the swim (he started later) Got my bike shoes off a lot better this time around, and didn't get sick or start shaking like my last tri. I got the running shoes on grabbed a water bottle, took the sun glasses off and started the run. Helped my Uncle (without any glasses) quickly find his bike and was off.

Nothing again learn how to get my shoes off on the bike.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

The heat started to really set in at this time being around 930, sweat was just dripping off me. Again every person I passed of passed me, I told good job. My heart rate for some reason sky rocketed, and jumped to an uncomfortable 170-175. I needed to stay in the good 160-167 range to run comfortable. I tried to press on but had to stop a few times to get my HR down, take in some liquid, and I began to have a pain in my right side. I made it to the turn around and though 1.5 miles to go. SUCK IT UP! Kept going and began to press on, and ran till the end. Heard my family cheering me on as I went up the driveway. Tried to muster all I could as I sprinted to the finish line. Crossing the finish line and having people hand me some water was a great feeling.

Train more for the run. I focused more on the bike and swim portion lately. The biking has sorta of peaked my interest lately with riding with friends. With several years of high school and collegiate lacrosse I don't enjoy the fact of running as much as I do with biking and swimming. So I need to run more and build up my endurance.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finishline and scarfed down a banana, 3 bottles of water and a gatorade. OH and a bagel too. Cooled off changed my clothes and waited until my Uncle Woody got back from the bike and run. My cousin Joe ended up winning his age group and the overall with a time of 1:03, which beat his time last year by 4 mins.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running, and maybe some small transition times. OH and those darn Carroll County Hills!

Event comments:

Good race, lots of kid volunteers, helping out everyway they can. Seemed like a good local race I will do from now on. Only problem was the time you had to wait to bike for the race.

Last updated: 2006-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 400 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/247
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Small Pool swim 16 laps
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:49:45 | 14 miles | 16.88 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: VERY HILLY!! Down hills were fun max out at 38.9 mph, but averaged 17.0.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03.11 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Course was two rolling hills up to the 7/11 and back.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %2-3
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-19 8:21 PM

Pro
yep,
Subject: South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri

2006-06-19 8:42 PM
in reply to: #459608

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: RE: South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri
Nice job! Sounds like you had a great time. Nice overall time, too! It was hot yesterday and running was hard. It kicked my asss during my race also.

Yay for you!!!

Pattie
2006-06-19 9:54 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Looks like you did a very good job!

I bet it was hard to pedal up those hills... with that deep burn in your legs (or at least his is how it feels to me when I keep going!)... but you did it!

Good for you!

Congrats!
2006-06-20 9:45 AM
in reply to: #459702

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Congrats CJ, sounds like you had a solid race! Especially having only been back in the hilly area since the end of May! Try to crank out those hill workouts before you go back to school and you can maintain the form by doing intervals into the lovely Eastern Shore wind when you get back.

We all know how much I love the wind ....... ugh!!
2006-06-20 11:00 AM

User image

Expert
Good job, CJ. Way to push yourself through this challenging course. Sounds like you've definitely improved and gained more confidence since your last tri. And most importantly, it sounds like you had Fun!

Mike
2006-06-20 8:28 PM

Pro
yep,
I definately had a lot of fun.  Rick we gotta go for another ride sometime soon.  Thanks for all the comments and yes I did feel a lot stronger in this tri.  Sorta bummed out they didn't show the times for the transition but I felt really strong and well experienced in the race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri Rss Feed