Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I voted to keep our county dry! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-11-01 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4478461

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: I voted to keep our county dry!
jford2309 - 2012-11-01 11:21 AM
Goosedog - 2012-11-01 10:18 AM
jford2309 - 2012-11-01 11:16 AM

And I thought this was a vote, which was letting the people of his county/city decide.

Sure it is.  My question was more about your political philosophy.  Do you think this sort of governmental control, generally, is good?  Examples being outlawing soft drinks, or potato chips.

Nope, I do not think the Govt should try to control chips and cokes, but if you are trying to compare eating potato chips and cokes to alcohol or weed... it is not apples to apples!

You said you would have voted to keep the county dry because of what happens when YOU drink. Well, when I eat chips, I tend to overdo it and get fat. Should I vote to ban chips so people who can self-regulate better can't have chips?

And people who are overwieght affect the rest of society as well, not as dramatically as drunk driving, but in the form of increased costs for transportation, medical, reduced productivity, etc. Not all overweight people, but then again, not all people who drink cost society anything either.

2012-11-01 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4478758

User image

Elite
GomesBolt - 2012-11-01 11:27 AM
Left Brain - 2012-11-01 1:08 PM
GomesBolt - 2012-11-01 11:56 AM

Admittedly, everything I learned about marijuana, I learned from my time as a Company Commander in the Marine Corps and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PKtGnyGuKM

Learned the drinking stuff first-hand.

Respectfully, from reading your posts here, I don't think you know anything about marijuana.

I take that as a compliment, thanks...

Truthfully though, I'm not opposed to legal hash.  But I would want it controlled pretty tight and I would want my taxes to go down if it is legalized. That's the argument in-favor of legalization right?  That it'll be taxable?

No, you tax something to pay for the cost. Drugs should be taxed to pay for the regulation and administration, and to pay for those that have a problem with it and need help getting off it. PERIOD. You pay taxes to maintain roads because you use roads. You pay taxes to defend the country because you want your country defended. Why in the world should you pay less taxes because somebody wants to smoke a joint?

2012-11-01 12:40 PM
in reply to: #4478758

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
GomesBolt - 2012-11-01 1:27 PM

Admittedly, everything I learned about marijuana, I learned from my time as a Company Commander in the Marine Corps and this:

Respectfully, from reading your posts here, I don't think you know anything about marijuana.

Truthfully though, I'm not opposed to legal hash.  But I would want it controlled pretty tight and I would want my taxes to go down if it is legalized. That's the argument in-favor of legalization right?  That it'll be taxable?

Actually Some of the argument is that it is hypocritical to say EtOH is OK but THC is not

It is hypocritical to say What I do with my own body is my business if I want an abortion but not if I want to smoke a joint.

Oh and tax the bejeezus out of it! 

2012-11-01 12:42 PM
in reply to: #4478783

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
powerman - 2012-11-01 1:38 PM

No, you tax something to pay for the cost. Drugs should be taxed to pay for the regulation and administration, and to pay for those that have a problem with it and need help getting off it. PERIOD. You pay taxes to maintain roads because you use roads. You pay taxes to defend the country because you want your country defended. Why in the world should you pay less taxes because somebody wants to smoke a joint?

Wasn't one of your arguments in-favor of legalizing that we're spending some large amount on enforcement?  What happens to all that money?

2012-11-01 12:47 PM
in reply to: #4478794

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
GomesBolt - 2012-11-01 1:42 PM

Wasn't one of your arguments in-favor of legalizing that we're spending some large amount on enforcement?  What happens to all that money?

education?  law enforcement for real crimes?  cost of living pay raises for city/county employees that haven't seen them since 2008?  road improvement?  etc etc etc.  we have a severe budget deficit, both as a nation and as individual municipalities.

2012-11-01 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4478794

User image

Elite
GomesBolt - 2012-11-01 11:42 AM

Yes, we do spend large amounts on militarizing our police departments with urban assault vehicle to combat drugs... that non sense needs to end. Use it for what you want, end it... those would be city and county taxes though so take that up with your local representatives. But even with the $40 billion federal dollars spent on the "war", do you really think you are going to notice your taxes going down when they cut that? That money should be spent on the users, and drugs should be taxed so you and I will not have to pay for it.

But most people only want to legalize weed for a revenue stream. Somehow weed tax is the cure for all budget short falls. That's B.S. all "sin taxes" are BS.

2012-11-01 9:16 PM
in reply to: #4478810

User image

Pro
powerman - 2012-11-01 12:49 PM
GomesBolt - 2012-11-01 11:42 AM

Yes, we do spend large amounts on militarizing our police departments with urban assault vehicle to combat drugs... that non sense needs to end. Use it for what you want, end it... those would be city and county taxes though so take that up with your local representatives. But even with the $40 billion federal dollars spent on the "war", do you really think you are going to notice your taxes going down when they cut that? That money should be spent on the users, and drugs should be taxed so you and I will not have to pay for it.

But most people only want to legalize weed for a revenue stream. Somehow weed tax is the cure for all budget short falls. That's B.S. all "sin taxes" are BS.

Yes, the idea of legalizing marijuana and other drugs, and then taxing them, is a fools game. Once you legalize them the bottom will fall out of the price, basically negating the big gains from taxes that people think will be there.  What it will do is allow govt. agencies to stop spending billions in manpower to "fight drugs".  The other part of that equation is that local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies are absolutely addicted to the money they can seize from the assets of drug dealers......which is what funds the "militarization" of police departments. I would venture a guess that most people have no idea how much money and other assets, which are eventually turned in to cash, Police departments rake in by civil seizure.....it's absolutely enormous.

I don't wear a tin foil hat, ever......but there is not a police department in the country that wants to see drugs legalized....and it has nothing to do with the safety of the citizenry. I'll tell you another group that lobbies hard against legalization....pharmaceutical companies....do I have to say why?

The best reason to legalize drugs is to take the enormous profit out of it, thereby eliminating the criminal element that controls the trade.  Where I live, it could not be an exaggeration to say that fully 75% of thefts and burglaries are drug related.....much of it from heroin, which, by the way, our drug users buy in enormous quantities at huge profits from our enemies in the Middle East, most notably the Taliban in Afghanistan....we virtually fund much of their war against us. Stupid.

Take the money out of the drug trade and we would all be better off. You take the money out of it by legalizing it.

Don't worry, we can still have the same "controls" over it's use as we do with alcohol....the system for that is already in place.

When I teach my children about the dangers of drug abuse, and give them reasons why they should not become involved with them, I never say, "because it's illegal".....neither does any drug education program I know of.  People don't stay away from drugs because they are illegal, ask any drug abuser.

We've already been through this with prohibition....it spawned gangs and financed a criminal element that didn't exist before prohibition....to the point of it's repeal.  I guess we didn't learn anything after all.

Edited by Left Brain 2012-11-01 9:20 PM
2012-11-01 10:00 PM
in reply to: #4479734

User image

Elite
Left Brain - 2012-11-01 8:16 PM

Yes, the idea of legalizing marijuana and other drugs, and then taxing them, is a fools game. Once you legalize them the bottom will fall out of the price, basically negating the big gains from taxes that people think will be there.  What it will do is allow govt. agencies to stop spending billions in manpower to "fight drugs".  The other part of that equation is that local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies are absolutely addicted to the money they can seize from the assets of drug dealers......which is what funds the "militarization" of police departments. I would venture a guess that most people have no idea how much money and other assets, which are eventually turned in to cash, Police departments rake in by civil seizure.....it's absolutely enormous.

I don't wear a tin foil hat, ever......but there is not a police department in the country that wants to see drugs legalized....and it has nothing to do with the safety of the citizenry. I'll tell you another group that lobbies hard against legalization....pharmaceutical companies....do I have to say why?

The best reason to legalize drugs is to take the enormous profit out of it, thereby eliminating the criminal element that controls the trade.  Where I live, it could not be an exaggeration to say that fully 75% of thefts and burglaries are drug related.....much of it from heroin, which, by the way, our drug users buy in enormous quantities at huge profits from our enemies in the Middle East, most notably the Taliban in Afghanistan....we virtually fund much of their war against us. Stupid.

Take the money out of the drug trade and we would all be better off. You take the money out of it by legalizing it.

Don't worry, we can still have the same "controls" over it's use as we do with alcohol....the system for that is already in place.

When I teach my children about the dangers of drug abuse, and give them reasons why they should not become involved with them, I never say, "because it's illegal".....neither does any drug education program I know of.  People don't stay away from drugs because they are illegal, ask any drug abuser.

We've already been through this with prohibition....it spawned gangs and financed a criminal element that didn't exist before prohibition....to the point of it's repeal.  I guess we didn't learn anything after all.

EXACTLY! I forget all about the huge money from seizure laws.

Never once have I wanted drugs legalized because it is a good idea. Drugs are dangerous substances that wreak havoc in the lives of users and those around them. But you can't stop them, and criminalization ADDS even worse problems on top of the ones caused by their use.

I mean, how much does it really cost to grow a weed that any idiot can grow? I have no idea of the accuracy, but I wanted to know how much it cost to produce one kilo of coke... welll about $4500.... but it can sell on the streets anywhere from $200K-$600K. This article is pretty interesting, but it is from 2003.

Article

They put illegal to legal cost ratio of 8:1. In 2003 the cocaine industry was at $57B... which would put the industry at $6.6B. $50B dollars a year going to criminal organizations, terrorists groups, and drug lord armies.... for no reason.

And then back to the original topic... voting to keep a country dry surrounded by wet counties.... I can't even imagine why one would bother.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I voted to keep our county dry! Rss Feed  

of 4