Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I voted to keep our county dry! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-10-31 9:11 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Subject: I voted to keep our county dry!

Depending on the outcome of our local Proposition 2, we might actually be able to buy beer and wine in town at supermarkets and convenience stores.  Still won't be able to buy hard liquor.

The business community wants our city and county to go wet since tax revenues currently go to neighboring counties.  Many claim the roads to the county line liquor stores will be safer if you can buy beer and wine in town.

The religious right (we're in the bible belt, so it's a huge voting block) has their own reasons to keep the area dry.  Some opponents talk about increased crime and litter with beer and wine being sold in town.

Normally I don't side with the religious right on anything, but I just don't see any good coming out of easier availability of booze.

Anyone else live in a dry county?  Anyone think I'm just a prude?

Brian

2012-10-31 9:17 PM
in reply to: #4477835

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: I voted to keep our county dry!
I have never understood a dry county where my folks live. Texas. All these folks still get all the booze they want, they just have to drive further. Those people get all the weed, crack, and meth they want too... and those are illegal. Prohibition only lines the pockets of organized crime. I will be voting to legalize weed here on election day.
2012-10-31 9:29 PM
in reply to: #4477848

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

powerman - 2012-10-31 9:17 PM I have never understood a dry county where my folks live. Texas. All these folks still get all the booze they want, they just have to drive further. Those people get all the weed, crack, and meth they want too... and those are illegal. Prohibition only lines the pockets of organized crime. I will be voting to legalize weed here on election day.

Yeah, you can call me a hypocrite.  I voted for Gary Johnson of the Libertarian party.  So I actually voted "Weed-Yes, Booze-No"!

Brian

2012-10-31 9:42 PM

Master
, California

My entire *state* recently overturned a long history of 100% state controlled liquor stores.  Now supermarkets and other places can sell liquor.  I've seen no difference in behavior and little difference in prices.

*Edit: one interesting difference.  Under the old rules, we could have a drink poured at a bar but if you asked them to sell you a whole bottle, not allowed.  Always seemed weird.

Edited by spudone 2012-10-31 9:44 PM
2012-10-31 9:44 PM

User image

Elite
Ya, that is the hypocrisy of our drug policy... alcohol cost the U.S. more money a year than all the illegal drugs COMBINED. Yet booze is the only legal one.... because everyone is cool taking that drug relationally. You either criminalize all of them, or you legalize all of them.
2012-10-31 9:57 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
famelec - 2012-10-31 9:11 PM

Depending on the outcome of our local Proposition 2, we might actually be able to buy beer and wine in town at supermarkets and convenience stores.  Still won't be able to buy hard liquor.

The business community wants our city and county to go wet since tax revenues currently go to neighboring counties.  Many claim the roads to the county line liquor stores will be safer if you can buy beer and wine in town.

The religious right (we're in the bible belt, so it's a huge voting block) has their own reasons to keep the area dry.  Some opponents talk about increased crime and litter with beer and wine being sold in town.

Normally I don't side with the religious right on anything, but I just don't see any good coming out of easier availability of booze.

Brian

Why?  On what grounds?  What data?  What lead you to that decision?

2012-10-31 10:06 PM

User image

Pro

Brian

You are not a prude, but you just voted for more "crime" in my experience.  I have spent quite a bit of time in dry counties....and was amazed at the organization of the illegal booze trade....probably wasn't much different during prohibition.

Then again, after half a lifetime on the front lines of the "war on drugs" (a complete joke), I would advocate for the legalization of all drugs.

2012-10-31 10:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah

These type of laws for some reason really drive me crazy. In every state I've been to that had these kind of laws there was always some sort of loop hole. In MA, when I lived there, booze sales were banned on Sundays, except for some reason between Thanksgiving and New Years. In TX you either drive to another wet county, or sign some sort of "membership" license at the restaurant which magically makes it OK to serve you. In NM, sales were banned on Sundays, which meant you would buy 2x what you needed on Sat (and drank 1.9x more than you were supposed to on Sat) or you would find your local seedy liquor store (which used to have drive through service when I lived there) or an individual that would sell on Sundays to anyone ~15 or older (seriously).

My point is that, I fail to see what these laws accomplish as I've never been able to NOT drink, I simply had to drive further (something you probably should discourage when booze is involved), jump through some sort of magic hoop (really, because I am a club member at Chili's I can now drink beer?), or break the law simply because it's Sunday, just because someone thinks making it marginally harder to get alcohol is a valid method to prevent abuse.  

2012-10-31 10:33 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
2012-10-31 10:41 PM
in reply to: #4477919

User image

Master
Beijing

bootygirl - 2012-10-30 11:33 PM

You don't say?!?

2012-11-01 12:24 AM

User image

Expert
wow I never knew it was so bad in other states. Until this year we couldnt buy beer on Sundays and I thought I was in the  backwoods of some religious hell hole. Im against dry counties but I am for not being able to purchase liquor after a certain time from stores. Most nights of the week we can buy beer until 2 am. Who the hell is buying beer at 2 am? People needing more beer usually.

2012-11-01 5:56 AM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

Here is a little thought experiment for you, if you think getting alcohol requires more effort means people will drink less. 

If you don't drink, it won't affect you, one way or another. If you do want to drink at home, it means you have to drive some distance to the nearest "wet county". Are you going to buy 1 bottle or several, having taken the time and effort to drive. Several, surely. Now, a basic tenet of human behavior is that when things are plentiful, they get used more. It's one reason that it is better to buy smaller bags of chips or repackage the big bags if you are trying to eat less. So people now have more booze at home, feel "flush" with it, and drink more.

Or - they can get it a bar/restaurant. So instead of drinking at home, where they can then go to bed by walking down the hall, they have to get home. Possible deciding to drive to do so. Putting people at risk. Since they can't easily get the booze at home, it is more likely they will drink when out and thus more likely to drive drunk.

Finally, people can still get beer and wine in the county? How is this making things "safer" than if only  harder adult beverages are harder to get? All you are doing is encouraging people to drink more beer and wine. And I don't see how an area is "dry" if you can still legally buy intoxicating beverages.

2012-11-01 6:40 AM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
On the booze legality, yeah ridiculous. Baptists put those rules in place because they think the wine in the bible was just grape juice. Fact is that humans have fermented fruit and beer for millennia. Jesus drank wine, Moses drank wine, Abraham got drunk on wine. It was a way to preserve calories from the harvest for longer times and humans have been metabolizing alcohol ever since. Maryland and PA had no beer or wine in grocery stores back in the day and you see no reduction in DWI or accidents from that. Then you see places like Lubbock where you had to drive out of town to buy beer but you could order as many as you wanted at the restaurant.

I'm not sure where I stand on weed.

Weed is not as easily metabolized as booze. One hit will show elevated levels of THC in your system for 30 days. Alpha Brain waves are also reduced for 30 days. Cocaine is undetectable 48 hours later, Extasy is gone in 8 hours. I only say that to show the slow metabolism of THC. So if you legalize it, we should assume more people will use it recreationally (than currently use it legally) and you'll see more people with reduced response (on the road, in the workplace, in front of you in Starbucks).

I agree with the tax benefit, but it does open more cans of worms. Cops will now have to test for alcohol and then make someone pee in a cup and what will be the allowable level? What if he smokes 2 bowls on monday and has reduced response on Friday? How will employers handle this? Power plants are very strict on no use of the stuff even in states where it's legal. I would think Construction, and military would remain hash-free.

I would vote for medicinal if it truly was for people with a medical need, but that gets abused like crazy. I'm just not sure where I stand with the wacky tabacky.
2012-11-01 7:00 AM
in reply to: #4477875

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

powerman - 2012-10-31 9:44 PM Ya, that is the hypocrisy of our drug policy... alcohol cost the U.S. more money a year than all the illegal drugs COMBINED. Yet booze is the only legal one.... because everyone is cool taking that drug relationally. You either criminalize all of them, or you legalize all of them.

Just curious if this includes the $40B spent annually in the "War on Drugs"?

2012-11-01 7:07 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Brian

I hope that you don't consider yourself a political conservative.  This need to control OTHERS behavior through government is not a part of a real conservative agenda.

2012-11-01 7:20 AM
in reply to: #4478030

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
gearboy - 2012-11-01 5:56 AM

Here is a little thought experiment for you, if you think getting alcohol requires more effort means people will drink less. 

If you don't drink, it won't affect you, one way or another. If you do want to drink at home, it means you have to drive some distance to the nearest "wet county". Are you going to buy 1 bottle or several, having taken the time and effort to drive. Several, surely. Now, a basic tenet of human behavior is that when things are plentiful, they get used more. It's one reason that it is better to buy smaller bags of chips or repackage the big bags if you are trying to eat less. So people now have more booze at home, feel "flush" with it, and drink more.

Or - they can get it a bar/restaurant. So instead of drinking at home, where they can then go to bed by walking down the hall, they have to get home. Possible deciding to drive to do so. Putting people at risk. Since they can't easily get the booze at home, it is more likely they will drink when out and thus more likely to drive drunk.

Finally, people can still get beer and wine in the county? How is this making things "safer" than if only  harder adult beverages are harder to get? All you are doing is encouraging people to drink more beer and wine. And I don't see how an area is "dry" if you can still legally buy intoxicating beverages.

I tend to agree with your logic. Laws like this are silly and often have an opposite effect than is intended.

2012-11-01 7:58 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

Gearboy and I both hail from the great liquor control state of Pennsylvania. 

We can only buy hard liquor and wine in state stores, or at a winery's own shop. 

Beer is only sold by the case at approved distributors. 

Grocery store beer sales are in the pilot phase. You can actually buy a six pack, but through a separate entrance, and cannot put it with your normal grocery shopping. 

With all this "control" PA still has drunk driving, underage drinking and alcohol abuse. 

Friends of mine are moving to Nebraska. You don't exactly think of Nebraska as a seething den of iniquity, yet they have the most relaxed liquor laws of any place these folks have lived. (Which is not just PA.) They were just in Nebraska for a weekend in advance of the move. He noticed this stark difference in scenarios: Getting a 24oz beer at a convenience store and taking it back to the motel made it far more likely that he would not get loaded, than if he were in town in PA for a weekend, and had only the option of buying a six pack or more. Then you feel stupid for wasting the beer and end up drinking it all. PA laws encourage mass consumption by requiring mass purchase. 

The only letters to the editor I see in PA that want to keep the system the way it is, come from the liquor store employee union, which makes sense.... and the association of beer distributors. 

Well heck yeah, if I owned a business that gave me a government-mandated monopoly and said that no other businesses like it could open up in my town since all the licenses were full, guaranteeing a lack of competition, I bet I'd be in favor of keeping things the way they are. 

It's amazing how people will respond like responsible adults when you treat them that way. State/county control of liquor sales are totally against that, and I agree with the sentiment that it's hardly a conservative way to go about things. 

2012-11-01 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4478131

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
TheClaaaw - 2012-11-01 7:58 AM

We can only buy hard liquor and wine in state stores, or at a winery's own shop. 

Grocery store beer sales are in the pilot phase. You can actually buy a six pack, but through a separate entrance, and cannot put it with your normal grocery shopping. 

With all this "control" PA still has drunk driving, underage drinking and alcohol abuse. 

Friends of mine are moving to Nebraska. You don't exactly think of Nebraska as a seething den of iniquity, yet they have the most relaxed liquor laws of any place these folks have lived. (Which is not just PA.) They were just in Nebraska for a weekend in advance of the move. He noticed this stark difference in scenarios: Getting a 24oz beer at a convenience store and taking it back to the motel made it far more likely that he would not get loaded, than if he were in town in PA for a weekend, and had only the option of buying a six pack or more. Then you feel stupid for wasting the beer and end up drinking it all. PA laws encourage mass consumption by requiring mass purchase. 

The only letters to the editor I see in PA that want to keep the system the way it is, come from the liquor store employee union, which makes sense.... and the association of beer distributors. 

Well heck yeah, if I owned a business that gave me a government-mandated monopoly and said that no other businesses like it could open up in my town since all the licenses were full, guaranteeing a lack of competition, I bet I'd be in favor of keeping things the way they are. 

It's amazing how people will respond like responsible adults when you treat them that way. State/county control of liquor sales are totally against that, and I agree with the sentiment that it's hardly a conservative way to go about things. 

Go Nebraska.  

I'm not a drinker so I'm fairly ignorant of laws around the country on this subject, but it kind of shocks me that states would have laws like you describe in PA.  I think the only restriction in Nebraska is they can't sell liquor or open liquor stores before noon on Sundays.  Every gas station has the beer cooler and every grocery store (walmart, etc...) have the big booze and beer section.  I kind of feel special now.  ;-)

2012-11-01 8:27 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

Our state isn't dry, but considering where I came from (alcohol in grocery stores, gas stations, and mini marts...liquor sales start in the early AM and run until 3AM), it seems like it.

All alcohol (including beer, wine, etc.) is sold at liquour stores only. No sale on Sunday or after 9/10 p.m.. So, what do we do when we need beer for Sunday's game and we ran out? We just have to go visit the Sconnies, who sell it like normal folks.

we still have drunk driving. we still have alcohol-fueled crime. All it is is a big, fat, PITA. Like a lot of laws banning things...the people who are going to abuse or use it for ill purposes or irresponsibly (drugs, booze, breeds of dogs, whatever) are still going to do it. Laws like dry counties and such do more inconveniencing the folks who follow the laws anyway than they do stopping the criminals from being criminals.

2012-11-01 8:35 AM

User image

NC
famelec - 2012-10-31 10:11 PM

Anyone think I'm just a prude?

Yes.

2012-11-01 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4478131

User image

Champion
Chicago
Omaha bars used to close at 1am.

We'd just drive over the bridge to Iowa at about 1230 to get that extra hour of drinking. As much as I'd like to say we were never drunk when we did, that's not true. Banning sales of liquor will not prevent people from seeking out booze and therefore may lead to issues with drunk driving.

I also am all for legalizing weed as well. My rationale is and has always been: Would you rather be watching a football game with a room full of drunk guys or a room full of stoned guys? The drunk guys will be aggressive and yelling and screaming and a fight could break out. The stoned guys will be best buddies and probably will even cook for each other while laughing and unfunny jokes all night.

2012-11-01 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4478203

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

mr2tony - 2012-11-01 8:37 AM Omaha bars used to close at 1am. We'd just drive over the bridge to Iowa at about 1230 to get that extra hour of drinking. As much as I'd like to say we were never drunk when we did, that's not true. Banning sales of liquor will not prevent people from seeking out booze and therefore may lead to issues with drunk driving. I also am all for legalizing weed as well. My rationale is and has always been: Would you rather be watching a football game with a room full of drunk guys or a room full of stoned guys? The drunk guys will be aggressive and yelling and screaming and a fight could break out. The stoned guys will be best buddies and probably will even cook for each other while laughing and unfunny jokes all night.

lol, probably the best argument I've ever heard for legalizing weed.

2012-11-01 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4478170

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
tuwood - 2012-11-01 8:20 AM
TheClaaaw - 2012-11-01 7:58 AM

Go Nebraska.  

I'm not a drinker so I'm fairly ignorant of laws around the country on this subject, but it kind of shocks me that states would have laws like you describe in PA.  I think the only restriction in Nebraska is they can't sell liquor or open liquor stores before noon on Sundays.  Every gas station has the beer cooler and every grocery store (walmart, etc...) have the big booze and beer section.  I kind of feel special now.  ;-)

Shoot, Nebraska's got nothing on Missouri.  We have drive through liquor stores.  Some even sell mixed drinks.  Seriously, you can order up a margarita and hit the road without ever getting out of your vehicle.

2012-11-01 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4478210

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
kevin_trapp - 2012-11-01 9:39 AM

Shoot, Nebraska's got nothing on Missouri.  We have drive through liquor stores.  Some even sell mixed drinks.  Seriously, you can order up a margarita and hit the road without ever getting out of your vehicle.

sounds great, but like Abe Simpson, I will be in the deep, cold ground before I recognize Missoura.

2012-11-01 8:58 AM
in reply to: #4478208

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
tuwood - 2012-11-01 9:38 AM

mr2tony - 2012-11-01 8:37 AM Omaha bars used to close at 1am. We'd just drive over the bridge to Iowa at about 1230 to get that extra hour of drinking. As much as I'd like to say we were never drunk when we did, that's not true. Banning sales of liquor will not prevent people from seeking out booze and therefore may lead to issues with drunk driving. I also am all for legalizing weed as well. My rationale is and has always been: Would you rather be watching a football game with a room full of drunk guys or a room full of stoned guys? The drunk guys will be aggressive and yelling and screaming and a fight could break out. The stoned guys will be best buddies and probably will even cook for each other while laughing and unfunny jokes all night.

lol, probably the best argument I've ever heard for legalizing weed.

That's not always true though.  There are incidences of weed causing paranoia leading to people shooting/stabbing each other.  Albeit fewer than the incidences of manslaughter from drunks (I haven't seen statistics on this, but I imagine over 90% of manslaughter incidences involve alcohol in some way).

If stoned drivers = old people driving, then come to Palm Beach County during the season (October to February) to see if you like reduced reaction and attentiveness...

There's a reason Florida leads the nation in cycling fatalities and it has blue hair.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I voted to keep our county dry! Rss Feed  

of 4