General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why does running on a treadmill hurt/feel harder? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-01 10:51 AM

Subject: Why does running on a treadmill hurt/feel harder?
I can easily run 10 miles outside, lately do to the cold i've been jogging on the treadmill sometimes w/o even any incline and feel tired/beat up after even 3-4 miles, yet when i go outside i do the same pace and can go 3-4 times as far, wtf? Can anyone relate?

2012-11-01 11:35 AM
in reply to: #4478548

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Subject: RE: Why does running on a treadmill hurt/feel harder?

Bigbadbikerbob - 2012-11-01 10:51 AM I can easily run 10 miles outside, lately do to the cold i've been jogging on the treadmill sometimes w/o even any incline and feel tired/beat up after even 3-4 miles, yet when i go outside i do the same pace and can go 3-4 times as far, wtf? Can anyone relate?

No distractions? How cold is it where you are?

2012-11-01 11:44 AM

User image

Expert

Bigbadbikerbob - 2012-11-01 11:51 AM I can easily run 10 miles outside, lately do to the cold i've been jogging on the treadmill sometimes w/o even any incline and feel tired/beat up after even 3-4 miles, yet when i go outside i do the same pace and can go 3-4 times as far, wtf? Can anyone relate?

Treadmill is boring and repetitive.. so you prolly notice every little pain/discomfort... Outside there are more distractions.. so you don't notice that stuff as much.. 

My guess. 

2012-11-01 6:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Overheating and boredom would be my guess. No wind to cool you off and I find it distracting, but not in a good way to watch TV when on a treadmill. I don't remember the last time I ran indoors, easily over a year ago though. I'll run in just about any weather at any temp to avoid it.
2012-11-01 8:16 PM

User image

Bel Air

Also remember there are big differences between treadmill running and running outside.  For one, when you're on a treadmill your pace, climate, etc. is pretty much constant.  You are always running X mph at X incline no matter what your stride/how you feel unless you consciously change it.  When you run outside, your pace is constantly changing based on how you feel, your terrain, etc. and most of the time you won't even realize it because its automatic.  

The biomechanics of treadmill running is also different.  The ground is moving below you and you.  When you're on the road, you're producing a particular force on the ground to propel yourself forward.  

2012-11-01 9:00 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Bigbadbikerbob - 2012-11-01 10:51 AM

I can easily run 10 miles outside, lately do to the cold i've been jogging on the treadmill sometimes w/o even any incline and feel tired/beat up after even 3-4 miles, yet when i go outside i do the same pace and can go 3-4 times as far, wtf? Can anyone relate?

I think running on a treadmill is harder. My theory is that outside I can regulate my pace depending on how I feel. So a 10 mm overall isn't a 10 mm pace the entire time. Sometimes I go faster or slower and it all works out to a 10 mm. On a treadmill you can't do that. A 10 mm pace is you doing that pace the entire time, steady. Which to me is harder, than getting to run slower/faster as my body feels like it.

2012-11-02 10:57 AM

User image

Chicago, IL
I avoid running on a treadmill like the plague. I've tried multiple times over the year and just cannot get used to it.
2012-11-04 5:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Irvine
Boredom! Even watching a show I enjoy, I just can't stand it!
2012-11-04 5:40 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not sure about others but I'm pretty sure my biomechanics are quite different on a treadmill. Outside I'm more of a heel striker unless running pretty hard; on the treadmill, I land more on the balls of my feet. Heel-striking on a treadmill just feels awkward, at least on our gym's machines at the 7:30-8:30 pace I usually do. So my calves, achilles, and shins always feel a bit more beat up.  I also tend to stop and stretch several times while running if something feels tight--it usually does due to chronic piriformis/sciatica issues. This is really a pain on the treadmill since it takes time to make it slow down and speed back up again, so I don't tend to stop and stretch as much. Also little variation in stride due to terrain, etc. I feel like my hip muscles are tighter afterwards as well. I think overall the mill just tends to work the same muscles over and over. Just coming off of six weeks doing all my running on the treadmill--trying not to reinjure my arm--and I think it may take another six weeks for my legs to get back to normal!

Edited by Hot Runner 2012-11-04 5:44 PM
2012-11-04 7:52 PM
in reply to: #4483062

Master
Northern IL

Hot Runner - 2012-11-04 5:40 PM Not sure about others but I'm pretty sure my biomechanics are quite different on a treadmill. Outside I'm more of a heel striker unless running pretty hard; on the treadmill, I land more on the balls of my feet. Heel-striking on a treadmill just feels awkward, at least on our gym's machines at the 7:30-8:30 pace I usually do. So my calves, achilles, and shins always feel a bit more beat up.  I also tend to stop and stretch several times while running if something feels tight--it usually does due to chronic piriformis/sciatica issues. This is really a pain on the treadmill since it takes time to make it slow down and speed back up again, so I don't tend to stop and stretch as much. Also little variation in stride due to terrain, etc. I feel like my hip muscles are tighter afterwards as well. I think overall the mill just tends to work the same muscles over and over. Just coming off of six weeks doing all my running on the treadmill--trying not to reinjure my arm--and I think it may take another six weeks for my legs to get back to normal!

Know how you manage that? Asking because most people tend to overstride and heel strike more on the treadmill. Think it's the perception that the belt is coming at them, and the tendency to drop hips and absorb it more than drive their leg through. I have heard of and experienced the more sore calf (well, all lower extremity parts you mentioned), but had heard it attributed more to something in the later part of the stride.

2012-11-07 8:33 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Hmm...Maybe because I tend to run faster on the treadmill?  Outside the footing here is not great (that's how I got hurt in the first place), and I do much of my outdoor running before dawn or after dark during the work week, so I might be more cautious. It could be I'm just going faster or running more confidently and thus heel striking less. ETA I set the treadmill speed based on HR zones and it just occurred to me--it's 20 degrees cooler inside than out in the tropical heat, so I'm no doubt able to run considerably faster at the same heart rate/effort level. Duh. I don't have my Garmin here but guessing it's about 30-40 seconds a mile difference.

I know I normally am more on the balls of my feet when doing faster training or racing (can see from pictures of shorter races, or the finish of longer ones), and occasionally have the same soreness then. I do notice it less on the treadmill when running at a very easy pace such as during warmup. I know my footstrike is different at faster speeds because I can actually see as well as feel it--the mills face floor to ceiling windows and at night you can see yourself run. Sometimes I will try to get back to heel striking on an easy treadmill run and if I stop concentrating, I'm back on the balls of my feet again!

Edited by Hot Runner 2012-11-07 8:51 AM

2012-11-07 10:08 AM

I don't know if the tread treadmill is harder, but something throws me off. Sunday I ran 3 hours outside and never got bored. Monday I did a recovery on the treadmill and barely lasted 15 minutes. I was doing ok physically, just lost interest despite the fact there were 10 TV's on at the gym.
2012-11-07 1:01 PM

User image

New user
Green Bay
My treadmill has some give to it. It's also on a rubber mat, on carpeted floor. It's a much more difficult run than the road which is a non elastic surface. Then there is that boredom factor, and the fact that I can quit whenever I want and walk out to the fridge as opposed to an outdoor run where you have to get home somehow.
2012-11-07 1:23 PM
in reply to: #4483044

User image

Veteran

obohlman - 2012-11-04 6:26 PM Boredom! Even watching a show I enjoy, I just can't stand it!

^^^WINNER, WINNER, Chichen DINNER

2012-11-07 1:40 PM
in reply to: #4487634

Master
Northern IL
Hot Runner - 2012-11-07 8:33 AM

Hmm...Maybe because I tend to run faster on the treadmill?  Outside the footing here is not great (that's how I got hurt in the first place), and I do much of my outdoor running before dawn or after dark during the work week, so I might be more cautious. It could be I'm just going faster or running more confidently and thus heel striking less. ETA I set the treadmill speed based on HR zones and it just occurred to me--it's 20 degrees cooler inside than out in the tropical heat, so I'm no doubt able to run considerably faster at the same heart rate/effort level. Duh. I don't have my Garmin here but guessing it's about 30-40 seconds a mile difference.

I know I normally am more on the balls of my feet when doing faster training or racing (can see from pictures of shorter races, or the finish of longer ones), and occasionally have the same soreness then. I do notice it less on the treadmill when running at a very easy pace such as during warmup. I know my footstrike is different at faster speeds because I can actually see as well as feel it--the mills face floor to ceiling windows and at night you can see yourself run. Sometimes I will try to get back to heel striking on an easy treadmill run and if I stop concentrating, I'm back on the balls of my feet again!

That makes sense. A lot of it is with confidence in the surface you're running on. There are a number of crummy sections of roads here too, cracks and unevenness along the edge where I run. My bodyweight might shift back a little more (meaning a little more heel than midfoot) when I'm on this and it's dark (and if it's wet or chance of ice). Then I'm more centered, so it's easier to catch myself if there is a slip or trip. Same thing happens on more technical trail sections. When I'm feeling more confident in it, I'm able to be more forward and up on the mid or front foot.

2012-11-07 2:44 PM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

On a treadmill, the time and distance seem to go by SO SLOWLY because I can stare at the numbers the whole time. When I'm running on the road, I may check the Garmin every so often but I don't actually watch it going 1.10....1.11.....1.12........ On the road, if it's a familiar route I'll know what house or road marks 1 mile or 2 miles or whatever from my house and it's more interesting to run to that house rather than watching every hundredth of a mile....or I'll just zone out and not know how far I've gone until I look at the Garmin and realize I just ran a mile and it felt like nothing.

I've tried covering it up with a towel but I just yank the towel off and then get disappointed with how far I HAVEN'T gone yet.

2012-11-14 8:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

It depends on which part of the running on a treadmill you consider hard.

Treadmill:  physically easy, mentally hard
Outside:  physically hard, mentally easy 

What I find is that while I get a fantastic cardio workout when running on a treadmill, it feels almost as low impact as riding my bike.  When I get done, I have sweated a lot and had a great HR profile for the workout.  However, my leg muscles don't seem to have been worked out as well as when running outside.  Also, running outside stresses all sorts of important things (in a good way - helps to build them up) such as ankles, calves, tendons, ligaments, etc.  I don't really feel like I get that when running on a treadmill.

So in short, I find running on a treadmill physically easier and lower impact than running outside.  Mentally however, running outside is easier.

2012-11-14 2:23 PM
in reply to: #4479718

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

KSH - 2012-11-01 9:00 PM
Bigbadbikerbob - 2012-11-01 10:51 AM I can easily run 10 miles outside, lately do to the cold i've been jogging on the treadmill sometimes w/o even any incline and feel tired/beat up after even 3-4 miles, yet when i go outside i do the same pace and can go 3-4 times as far, wtf? Can anyone relate?
I think running on a treadmill is harder. My theory is that outside I can regulate my pace depending on how I feel. So a 10 mm overall isn't a 10 mm pace the entire time. Sometimes I go faster or slower and it all works out to a 10 mm. On a treadmill you can't do that. A 10 mm pace is you doing that pace the entire time, steady. Which to me is harder, than getting to run slower/faster as my body feels like it.

x2.  Anytime I'm being "forced" to hold a pace that I'm not setting myself it makes it feel harder...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why does running on a treadmill hurt/feel harder? Rss Feed