General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman 70.3 Kansas as 2nd HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-02 7:15 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Kansas as 2nd HIM
In 2012 I completed my 1st HIM - Ironman 70.3 Racine and it was a blast; thanks to the super helpful advice from BT to choose that race and how to prepare for it. Sure - I was certainly slow compared to some of the speedsters, but I truly enjoyed the experience; enough so that I am ready to schedule a 2nd for 2013, Ironman 70.3 Kansas.

Before I - gulp - make the plunge, are there any folks that can comment if it is a good 2nd race? I am choosing this as it is within driving distance and is at the beginning of my daughters summer swim schedule. After that weekend, lots of summer activities get going that will tie me up for the remaining summer. Well - there was one other option, the 70.3 in Hawaii, but I only want to make that trip for the full Ironman - Some day, but that is another topic...

I have read through some of the race stories, but am interested in specifically if there is anything unique about it that might make it a poor choice for someone with limited Long Course experience.

Thanks in advance!

2012-11-02 7:32 PM
in reply to: #4481537

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Kansas as 2nd HIM

I think it's a great race - I've done it every year.

The only toss up is Kansas weather - but every race has weather risks. The first year the race got "called" during the run due to severe weather and maybe half of us didn't get to finish. Usually it's warm - this year it was in the 90s (record high temp for that day of 94) and winds were ~30mph sustained. That was rather scary for me on the bike. Other years it's been overcast and perfect.

This year it was not wetsuit legal (first time).

A big perk is being able to camp on the race grounds (Clinton State Park) - where the 2-loop run goes through. Inexpensive and uber convenient for both you and your cheering section.

2012-11-02 8:30 PM

User image

Come to Hawaii!

2012-11-02 9:08 PM

User image

Veteran
South dakota
Hey mike jI did Racine last year as my first HIM and just singed up for Kansas, had a friend donut for his first and liked it, only advice he had was " Kansas is not flat"
2012-11-02 9:15 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

I did Kansas in 2011, and the bike portion as a relay in 2012, it's a great race in my opinion.  Weather wasn't too bad, a little warm during the run but plenty of aid stations on the course.  The run course is two laps, a lot of it passes through the campgrounds, very spectator friendly.  A lot of people camp out there, wake up race morning and walk to the start.  Family can hang out at the campsite and watch you run by etc.  Nice crowd making lots of noise at the finish.  If it's windy, bike course can be challenging but only one or two "hills" on the course.  The toughest hill is at mile 49 but it's pretty much flat to slightly downhill the last 6 miles to T2.

Chrissie Wellington wrote up a RR on her site, she liked it so much in 2010 she came back in 2011.  In 2011, she came from behind to beat Leanda Cave (would have loved to see that but I was racing :P)

It was my first HIM in 2011 and I had limited bike training.  So if you can put in the bike miles you'll be fine.

2012-11-03 4:16 PM

User image

New user
I did Steelhead last year as my first. I did my first triathlon in mid July and then decided to go for a HIM. Steelhead was the latest in the season around here, so that was my only option. I then heard horror stories that the swim kept getting canceled. But Lake Michigan was perfect. The weather was great, and I had a fantastic time (but was REAL slow...).I am also signed up for Kansas as my second (and Racine as my 3rd). Really looking forward to it. Kansas sounds like a great course!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman 70.3 Kansas as 2nd HIM Rss Feed