Canadian Triathlon Forum Manitoba » St.Malo Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-06 11:13 AM

New user

Subject: St.Malo Triathlon
I'm doing my first tri in St.Malo, does anyone have info on this race?  Like dress code and if you can do the race just to complete or is there a time they just kick you out lol?  Also I noticed while trying to find a program to follow for training that, it goes by mins of training instead of miles or km like when I trained for my marathons.  How does this work?  Like how do you know you can do the distance if it's simply by mins and not distance?  Thanks for any help out there.

2012-11-06 12:04 PM
in reply to: #4486055

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: St.Malo Triathlon

Hi.  As an ex Manitoban I was curious about your post.  I'm not even certain where St. Malo is except I think it is up towards Lundar(?).

Anyways, I went to "races" on this site and searched Manitoba Triathlons and I found a race report for St. Malo Multisport from 2007.  It doesn't give a lot of info but it appears that it was a sprint so I wouldn't think you need to worry too much.

In my Sprints I learned to wear tri-shorts and a tri-top under my wetsuit, no socks in my bike shoes but I can't yet go sockless in my runners but I did get some fast tie shoelaces that knocked a good minute off of my timer to put on the runners.  I also rolled my socks up so I just had to roll them onto my feet.

Have fun and write a race report after you finish next June.  I hope I'll see it.

2012-12-10 11:10 PM

User image

New user

Finally something relevant that I feel like I can contribute to!

I've raced in the St. Malo Triathlon for two years. It's a relatively flat course all around but most races in Manitoba are! The water temp is generally in the 'wetsuits optional' range. The bike is open which can leave you at the mercy of the wind that day. The run is sheltered and through the park. Most information will be posted on the Triathlon Manitoba website (www.triathlon.mb.ca) when ever it becomes available. There are time limits for the swim portion and I believe the bike as well.

As for dress code, it's nothing out of the ordinary. The rules should also be found on Triathlon Manitoba's website. I knew someone last year who did the oly in a swimsuit and she threw on a pair of shorts for the run.

Training programs that offer just the duration of the workout are generally the more basic options. When I first started getting into triathlon I followed a BT training program with just minutes on it. I then searched out specific training workouts for the time allotted. I was able to complete three olympic distance triathlons, a half marathon and a sprint triathlon in my first season. I have so far progressed to a more formatted training program but the programs with just minutes will get you where you want to go, if you are willing to stick to them. At least in my opinion and personal experience.

I hope this helps!

2013-01-31 9:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi there,

I was the Race Director for the St-Malo Triathlon for the last 4 years and I'm happy to hear that you are planning on doing this race this year. As previously mentioned some information is on the trimb website (triathlon.mb.ca) and we are also developing a AWESOME website and should be live before March. The leadership of the race moved to Pure Lifestyle and they are bring an awesome team to plan and coordinate this race.

It is true that we have cut-offs for each leg of the event, but I spent lots of time analyzing the data for the past 10 years and I made sure that 99.999% of people would finish. The reason for cut-off times is really just safety and permit management. Because we need to purchase a permit for road use, we want to make sure we have ample coverage. We're no ironman, if your a few minutes away...we're cheer you and let you onto the next leg - or finish.

St-Malo is only 45 minutes from the south end of the city so its a quick drive to the town. Water temp is often 19C, so its nice and warm. In the past 4 years, only once did we have no wetsuits.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact the RD (Blake or JF @ [email protected])

Colin
2013-06-11 8:03 AM
in reply to: kayakrayne

User image

The registration for this race closes in a week, so get in there if you are going.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Manitoba » St.Malo Triathlon Rss Feed