General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-01-17 11:14 AM
in reply to: #4582193

New user
Key West
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread
GMAN 19030 - 2013-01-17 8:16 AM
topolina - 2013-01-17 6:15 AM

Anyway, is this bike course closed or partially closed? If not, do you know of a Mdot 70.3 course that is?

The first mile or two leaving the Moody Gardens complex getting out to the Seawall is closed.  The two lane road heading out has vehicular traffic in the left lane and cyclists in the right lane.  The lanes are separated by cones the whole way down.  The road is then closed over the San Luis Pass.  The way back is the opposite.  So my guess is 14-16 miles of closed road and 40-42 miles in a dedicated lane on a coned-off road.

Awesome, thanks. That is all I really was looking for, a dedicated lane versus narrow shoulder. Having some of the course actually closed in icing on the proverbial cake. This is going on my list of strong contenders in 2014.

2013-01-22 9:29 PM
in reply to: #4497898

User image

Regular
NWA
Anyone ever received a cortisone shot before a race? I've been battling severe plantar fasciitis since March 2012...and I have worn the night brace and sock...it is temporary relief. I do stretches 2 times a day and roll a frozen plastic bottle under my foot...I was thinking that I would get a shot 2-3 days prior to see if that would help me get through the race...any thoughts? Heck, I should probably check to see if its legal...not that I plan on winning anything...my first HIM.Thx!T.
2013-01-30 2:39 PM
in reply to: #4590403

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Tambo1221 - 2013-01-22 10:29 PM Anyone ever received a cortisone shot before a race? I've been battling severe plantar fasciitis since March 2012...and I have worn the night brace and sock...it is temporary relief. I do stretches 2 times a day and roll a frozen plastic bottle under my foot...I was thinking that I would get a shot 2-3 days prior to see if that would help me get through the race...any thoughts? Heck, I should probably check to see if its legal...not that I plan on winning anything...my first HIM.Thx!T.

Have you tried Graston for your PF?  I've worked with several people who have found it to be pretty effective for PF in 3 or 4 sessions.

2013-01-30 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4601741

User image

Regular
NWA
kaburns1214 - 2013-01-30 2:39 PM

Have you tried Graston for your PF?  I've worked with several people who have found it to be pretty effective for PF in 3 or 4 sessions.

I have never heard of this...but, I did do a quick internet search...looks like the closest practitioner is about an hour away...which I'm willing to do, as my 9 mile run yesterday was the most painful run of my life (and I wasn't fatigued at all...just the pain in my foot was excurciating)...but, have those folks who have used it had to "stop" training while being treated?  With this race coming up, I can't stop...

Thx for the feedback!!

Tambo

2013-01-30 5:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston

for lodging....there is a Hampton Inn pretty close to the race and i have stayed there twice..there is a Hilton on the Seawall that is a nice hotel as well that i usually always stay when i am in Galveston.

as far as wetsuit..it has always been a full wetsuit for me..

good luck!

Jb

2013-02-21 11:02 AM

User image

Regular
NWA

hi folks-

we ended up going the VRBO route...close enough to race venue that our spectators can walk back and relax (check whatever sports scores are on tv, grab a cold beverage and refuel to come back out and cheer us to the finish) while we're putting in our time in on the bike.

I finally went to see "Patty Pain" yesterday regarding my plantar fasiitis (local tri friends have had success with her and she came highly recommended)......and I woke up and stood on my foot for the first time this morning without pain in almost a year.  She seemed to be using the Gastron technique without the tools...it was super painful and she told me I could scream at any time...I didn't have to, but man I wanted to...So, lots of stretching and she thinks within 1-2 more visits and I'll be in good shape.  If this is true...this will be life changing for me...seriously. 

Hope everyone's training is going great and look forward to competing in my first HIM!

Tam

2013-02-26 5:41 PM

User image

New user

Dallas
I'll be in Galveston, too!  This will be my first 70.3 and only my second Tri.  March 10th I'll be doing my first sprint tri then I'll be racing along side the rest of you less than a month later.  To say I'm excited would be putting it lightly.  
2013-02-27 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4638143

User image

Regular
NWA

Welcome dfwchris...guess we'll be figuring out this HIM thing together!  This discussion board has been extremely quiet...I have found reading past Galveston discussion boards helpful.  I, too will be competing in my first HIM...although I have completed 4 sprints and 1 oly...all last race season...so this will be my first race this season...I'm very excited as well, and mostly concerned about my nutrition and fueling for this longer distance race...any input from veterans would be welcomed!

Tammy

2013-02-27 2:12 PM
in reply to: #4639036

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Tambo1221 - 2013-02-27 11:17 AM

Welcome dfwchris...guess we'll be figuring out this HIM thing together!  This discussion board has been extremely quiet...I have found reading past Galveston discussion boards helpful.  I, too will be competing in my first HIM...although I have completed 4 sprints and 1 oly...all last race season...so this will be my first race this season...I'm very excited as well, and mostly concerned about my nutrition and fueling for this longer distance race...any input from veterans would be welcomed!

Tammy

A few tidbits of advice.  Be ready for wind, and be ready for heat and humidity.  You should be working on your fueling strategy and salt intake so that you last few big training sessions will cement that your strategy is sound.  Once you feel your plans are good, the next most important thing you can do is to stick to your plan! Don't second guess it unless something is going wrong on race day. 

An example would be if you're coming from cool weather to the heat, it's possible that your body will want more fluid and salt, and possibly less food.  Take that as food for thought.  Pay attention to the signs your body gives you on race day, and adjust your plan only if necessary.  Since your not coming from that far away, you're not likely to have that problem.

Nutrition and hydration is highly personal, so take any advice you get about how much/how frequent with a grain of salt. No one knows you better than you do. 

Edited by Doughboy 2013-02-27 2:14 PM
2013-02-28 4:57 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
x2 on the wind and heat.  Once you get out of the city it's just you, the wind, and the windblown sand.  As to the heat it's not IMTX heat, but it's hot.  Luckily it appears they took the runway of the airfield out of the run.  I hear the heat coming back up off the tarmac was nasty last year.
2013-03-04 3:49 PM

I see they just put the swim waves up on the website.  I am right in the middle -- wave #9.  

Does anyone know if we can swim the course the day before the race?  

If not, where is a good spot for open water swimming in Galveston?

Also, does the swim start in deep water?

2013-03-04 4:25 PM
in reply to: #4646090

User image

Master
Keller Tx

From the Athlete guide

"SWIMMING IS NOT PERMITTED AT MOODY GARDENS. Athletes wishing to train may use Stewart Beach, 201 Seawall Blvd., Galveston, TX, 77550 - Beach rules apply and there is an $8 per vehicle cost to enter."

2013-03-04 4:26 PM
in reply to: #4646090

User image

Pro
CyFair
TPepper - 2013-03-04 3:49 PM

I see they just put the swim waves up on the website.  I am right in the middle -- wave #9.  

Does anyone know if we can swim the course the day before the race?  

If not, where is a good spot for open water swimming in Galveston?

Also, does the swim start in deep water?

No swimming the day before.  I believe there are alternate sites in the athlete guide.

2013-03-04 4:48 PM
in reply to: #4639036

Veteran
Tambo1221 - 2013-02-27 11:17 AM

Tammy

I am not a big eater for races, but HIM you need to get something in you.  make sure it's something your stomach can take as it's not so much the fueling as it is fueling with something that doesn't mess up your stomach and ruin your race.  I find i cannot stomach gatorade, but a lava field gu 20 minutes into the bike with plenty of water and some shot blocks with plenty of water does it for me for the bike.  and take some salt tablets.  on the run, i have had races where i grab a pretzel at every food stop for the salt, but only one so i do not over do it.  another race, i didn't eat anything entire run and i nailed the run.  others eat quite a bit and take in quite a bit of calories in their hydration.  ?

depends on the day and the heat and how much your body can take.  

2013-03-05 9:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ARLINGTON

A light blue swim cap for me.

For those of you that have done this race before, how bad is it getting out of the water?  Rocks?  Sand?

About how far is it to transition?

2013-03-05 10:08 AM

User image

Regular
NWA
Hey folks...appreciate the fueling advice...been practicing with several options and think after one more trial this Sunday, I'll have a decent plan in place...I'm finding a mix btwn bloc chews (run) nuun electrolyte drink mix (run), water (bike & run), hammer perpetuem (bike) and two of my homemade energy bites on the bike...seems to be okay on the belly...that's the plan I followed during my last brick workout...I might need to add just a little more fuel during the run...TBD.

Another bright pink cap for my collection...I've been wondering if there is some really cool or innovative use for swim caps...I get displaying a medal, but what the heck do I do with all these bright pink swim caps??? Ha!

As for the wind...I have been practicing in the crazy winds we've had lately...even choosing to bike late morning when winds are their toughest here...my long rides the last 4 wks have been 15-20 headwind, with gusts around 25-35...is this what I should expect in Galveston? I'm not crazy about crosswinds at all...really does a number on my ability to ride aero since I'm still learning how to feel comfortable and competent in aero in gusty wind. Crosswinds wear me out more than headwinds.

I've never had a jump off the deck and tread water start before...should I be practicing this? This makes me more nervous than the crazy amount of saltwater that I will likely swallow. Has anyone had issues with ingesting too much saltwater and gagging? I did some ocean swims while in Puerto Rico about a month ago...and I was pretty nauseated afterwards...any remedies for that?

Sorry for all the questions...just getting nervous.

2013-03-05 5:01 PM
in reply to: #4646972

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
brettboy05 - 2013-03-05 9:23 AM

A light blue swim cap for me.

For those of you that have done this race before, how bad is it getting out of the water?  Rocks?  Sand?

About how far is it to transition?

Getting out of the water is easy, its a packed sandy bottom, so really shouldnt have any footing issues. As for the run up to transition, its fairly short, so start working on your wetsuit as soon as you're out of the water so you're ready when you get to the wetsuit strippers. I cant remember if they carpet the entire run up to T1 or not, but I think they did.

2013-03-05 7:42 PM

I'm coming from the north and we just got 8 inches of snow... The chances my first rides outdoors will be in Galveston.

Does anyone have any recommendation on preparing for the heat? A lot of stale trainer rides with long sleeve shirts? How hot and humid are we talking?

I think several runs indoors on the treadmill should help, along with the sauna. I need to still book a hotel. How is parking the day of?

2013-03-05 10:13 PM
in reply to: #4647053

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Tambo1221 - 2013-03-05 10:08 AM

Hey folks...appreciate the fueling advice...been practicing with several options and think after one more trial this Sunday, I'll have a decent plan in place...I'm finding a mix btwn bloc chews (run) nuun electrolyte drink mix (run), water (bike & run), hammer perpetuem (bike) and two of my homemade energy bites on the bike...seems to be okay on the belly...that's the plan I followed during my last brick workout...I might need to add just a little more fuel during the run...TBD.

Another bright pink cap for my collection...I've been wondering if there is some really cool or innovative use for swim caps...I get displaying a medal, but what the heck do I do with all these bright pink swim caps??? Ha!

As for the wind...I have been practicing in the crazy winds we've had lately...even choosing to bike late morning when winds are their toughest here...my long rides the last 4 wks have been 15-20 headwind, with gusts around 25-35...is this what I should expect in Galveston? I'm not crazy about crosswinds at all...really does a number on my ability to ride aero since I'm still learning how to feel comfortable and competent in aero in gusty wind. Crosswinds wear me out more than headwinds.

I've never had a jump off the deck and tread water start before...should I be practicing this? This makes me more nervous than the crazy amount of saltwater that I will likely swallow. Has anyone had issues with ingesting too much saltwater and gagging? I did some ocean swims while in Puerto Rico about a month ago...and I was pretty nauseated afterwards...any remedies for that?

Sorry for all the questions...just getting nervous.

It is more than likely that you will swallow some water. I always chew a very strong piece of peppermint gum and spit it out before I get into a salt water swim. This at least kills most of the bad taste.
2013-03-06 2:10 PM
in reply to: #4646972

User image

Veteran
Alta
Ugh...looks like second to last wave for me. Guess I'll battle the heat for another hour!
2013-03-06 8:10 PM
in reply to: #4648929

six_cubes - 2013-03-06 2:10 PM Ugh...looks like second to last wave for me. Guess I'll battle the heat for another hour!

Will melt in the heat! I'm in the last wave.

2013-03-12 5:03 PM
in reply to: #4647053

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Tambo1221 - 2013-03-05 11:08 AM Hey folks...appreciate the fueling advice...been practicing with several options and think after one more trial this Sunday, I'll have a decent plan in place...I'm finding a mix btwn bloc chews (run) nuun electrolyte drink mix (run), water (bike & run), hammer perpetuem (bike) and two of my homemade energy bites on the bike...seems to be okay on the belly...that's the plan I followed during my last brick workout...I might need to add just a little more fuel during the run...TBD. 

Obviously you want to do what works for you but I would be really cautious about the perpeteum and nuun.  With regard to nuun, it contains sorbitol, a sugar alochol, which acts as a laxative.   In addition, perpeteum has soy protein, which can cause GI issues in lots of people, epsecially during race day when your body is shifting blood away from the GI system.  Plus Perpeteum only uses one sugar, compared to many other products, which use multiple sugars because the body abosorbs CHO better when there are short, medium and long chain sugars present. 

I know lots of people rank on Perform, which is available on course, but it does a pretty good job of what it was designed to do -- provide fluid, CHO and electrolytes to the body. 

2013-03-12 10:29 PM

User image

Master
Jumping off the pier- most women scoot off the side or drop over from what I've observed. I wouldn't worry about getting/jumping off the dock. It isn't like jumping off the boat at Alcatraz if that is what you're worried about.

-The heat in early April isn't anything that I would be concerned about either. If anything it is going to be cool (for Texans) and as usual very windy. I would be very surprised if it is hot on race day. Disclaimer- We live less than an hour away from Galveston.
2013-03-13 9:04 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Yeah.  It's still in the 40s here in the morning.  I'd guess in a month it will still be very comfortable for racing.  Hoping the wind dies down a little between now and then. 
2013-03-14 5:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 5