General Discussion Triathlon Talk » thermal top/suit for cold weather pool swims? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-17 12:47 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: thermal top/suit for cold weather pool swims?

OK, it's my annual "OMG I'm going home in a few weeks and I'm gonna freeze in the pool," thread. Basically, I usually end up swimming OUTSIDE in temps of 30-50 degrees F.  Supposedly the water is 80 degrees, probably more like mid-70's most days. I'm skinny and used to the tropics, and freeze anytime I stop between sets. Added to this are back issues which make me seriously tighten up when I'm cold plus still getting over an arm injury where again, the muscles tend to tighten and fatigue more quickly if I'm cold. I'd like to get something with sleeves so I could keep my arms warm as well and get a little compression there. Would probably also use the product for OWS in water that's too warm for a wetsuit, like swimming or snorkeling on vacation, but not competition.

Last year I invested in an AquaSphere Aqua Skin sleeveless wetsuit that's designed for both pools and open water; sort of a "wetsuit lite". It works pretty well for Oregon summers (which are like spring elsewhere--usually mid 40's to 50's when I swim)--keeps my back and core warm, but doesn't fit quite right--too wide in the calves and thighs so water gets in there, which causes some drag and limits the warming effect. I looked into getting the full sleeve model for winter, maybe a size smaller, but am having trouble finding any products currently available. Seems it is a British company and the skins are hard to find in the US.

Any recommendations for how to find this or something similar as a full wetsuit or, alternatively, some kind of warm top that I could wear over my regular suit in a pool? I'm thinking a thinner neoprene as opposed to a polyester rash guard type shirt. It needs to be form-fitting like a wetsuit so there isn't drag. After almost two months off normal swimming, the last thing I need is extra drag on my arms LOL.  Any suggestions/links much appreciated!

2012-11-17 6:19 AM
in reply to: #4501631

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: thermal top/suit for cold weather pool swims?
Why not just get the cheapest thinnest wetsuit you can get?  Sure you will ruin it but it should last a season or two if you completely rinse it off each time
2012-11-17 6:44 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

That had crossed my mind!  There are a lot of year-end sales right now so that might be what I end up doing. I did some more searching tonight and found a ProMotion product called Tri Sleeves that's designed to be layered with a sleeveless tri wetsuit. Presumably I could wear it under the Aquaskin. It's cheaper than even a cheap wetsuit and would probably keep my arms warm and give some compression but wouldn't solve the fit issue--not that big a deal. The extra buoyancy balances out the drag so my times are pretty much the same with and without. It just feels odd!

At any rate, I'm only home about eight weeks a year and swim in the pool maybe 2X a week in summer, 3X in the winter, so whatever I get wouldn't get trashed that quickly. Will make the call in a couple of weeks so my cold-weather gear is waiting when I get home and can still be exchanged if size isn't right.

2012-11-17 2:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
swim indoors.
2012-11-17 5:18 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

It would be great to have that choice but I often don't. Our one available winter facility, which is half indoors and half outdoors, is shared by several programs and classes nearly all the time. Master's is relegated to a few lanes.  Those are usually outdoor lanes, even when it's snowing at 7 AM. For lap swimming, indoor lanes are often filled with aqua-aerobics classes and very slow swimmers---mostly elderly and handicapped. Occasionally I score an indoor lane but the indoor water is actually too warm for long sets, even for me! The guards recognize the regulars who actually do workouts at some kind of speed, and send us outside if elderly/ handicapped swimmers, young kids' teams, or classes need the indoor lanes.

2012-11-19 12:44 PM

New user
I have a solution for you. You pack up your pool and ship it down to my town and I'll ship you back my pool.

My pool is usually kept around 82, but I would prefer to swim at 75-78.

2012-11-19 12:50 PM
in reply to: #4503651

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Another option is a dive skin. It's not really thermal, it's basically a lyrca body suit.  but it does provide some exposure protection.  It's also excellent in warmer climates for sun protection.   This link says it's as warm as a 2mm wet suit:

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-44/010629/Henderson-17oz-Superior-Polyolefin-Dive-Skin-Jumpsuit.html

I wear something like this for snorkeling and don't remember a lot of drag, although you definitely want to size it fairly tightly.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » thermal top/suit for cold weather pool swims? Rss Feed