Tri Fitness
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 59m 48s
Overall Rank = 230/304
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 28/35
Pre-race routine:

I won an entry to this race and it was basically something to do and to make for a good long run experience. No tapering, etc.

I arrived too early, around 7, because I was worried about having to park far away. I needed to get my packet and drop a bag of food for the shelter. I am glad I was that early because I got the best spot for a race ever and I wasn't bored.

I met up pre-race with Steve (my benefactor, ha ha) and his wife and son to chat and then headed to the start. I knew the race had some hills but that was about the extent of my preparation.
Run
  • 59m 48s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out kind of fast and actually didn't feel very fast from the beginning. I was hot right away and stopped to take off my top layer. I then basically tried to minimize the damage, but was seeing times that I knew wouldn't create a PR. I have been running GREAT lately, but not taking much rest and just enjoying it. That's worth more than a PR time. I was happy to keep my averages under a 10 min mile and remain running. Had a good walk/drink at the turnaround and then powered through the route back. I held a perfect line, running far more tangents than everyone else in my area at the time. The hill on the way back was tough, but not as long/bad as I was worried after running down it when we started. Once I saw the turn to the finish I went as fast as I could, hoping to come in under an hour. Mission accomplished. Basically it was somewhere between a race and a great training run for me. I enjoyed myself, which is more than I can say for every other 10k up to this point.
Post race
Event comments:

A solid race. I would recommend it to anyone who lived in the area.

Last updated: 2012-11-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:59:48 | 06.2 miles | 09m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/304
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back with a decent hill near the start.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes