United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 34s
Overall Rank = 33/220
Age Group = 25-29 M
Age Group Rank = 4/37
Pre-race routine:

Brief dip in the water with the wetsuit on. Focus on the FUN of the event to keep from psyching myself out mentally.
Swim
  • 17m 20s
  • 1000 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

What a riot!! I love this rediculously fun open water!! Getting smacked and kicked wasn't necessarily my idea of fun, but I did my share of it back (in fact, I did it to Dave (runningfoo) - ended up making him drink a bunch of water about 100 yds in). The crowd lightened up about 1/3 of the way into it and it was smooth swimming in. Sighting was hard and I kept stopping to figure out where to go- Still had a decent time though!
What would you do differently?:

Sight better, and only smack non-BT'ers if I could help it :)
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Was easier to get my wetsuit off than I expected. I wasn't feeling too woosy from the swim like I expected to either (although I didn't push it very hard on the swim... deliberately)
Bike
  • 35m 32s
  • 13.03 miles
  • 22.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt great at first. Took awhile to find my groove but apparently I did :) I caught up with some guys who looked like serious bikers and did my best to hang with them through the entire ride. We played the yo-yo for most of the course and finished the ride within seconds of one another. I saw Dave finishing his first lap as I was starting my second (we were within a few seconds of each other) and that helped motivate me- I knew I must be doing well at that point..

Draft?? No, just kidding... I'm not sure I would change much.. I didn't feel like I pushed too hard... My breathing felt fairly relaxed and it felt like the right amount of effort. Honestly I think I gave about the best ride I could based on my training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Was an okay transition, but I still have a hard time with the shoes. I unvelcroed my shoes right before unmounting, but didn't pull my feet out, so I ended up unclipping and running in them anyway... D'oh!

Next time I'll pull my feet out before I dismount... Silly.
Run
  • 25m 44s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

The run killed me... I was set for a REALLY good place had I not blown the run. I was actually ahead of Dave (runningfoo) up until the run where he (and apparently 14 others) overtook me (Dave placed 17th overall, I placed 32nd). I had a very hard time running on the uneven grass and couldn't find a rhythm, and could just tell I didn't have the oomph to run as fast as I usually can. Probably pushed a bit too hard on the bike (athough it ROCKED!!)

Hydrate better and try to reserve some energy for the run while on the bike (I guess...) it's hard to gauge, and your instinct is always to push really hard.
Post race
Warm down:

Came through finish line and grabbed a bottle of water... Mmm it was good. Walked down the sidelines of the course and watched/waited for Brett (UTTriman) to come in. Chatted with some nice people while stretching and relaxing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat?

Event comments:

Great race- very organized and the course was alot of fun.. Good fun party-like atmosphere. Plenty of volunteers to keep the course safe and fairly free of traffic and danger.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:20 | 1000 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/37
Overall: 30/220
Performance: Good
Course distance long
Suit: Orca- Full
Course: Triangular course through the marina, out into the lake and then into the beach on the other side of a small jetty. Course was probably closer to 1000 meters than 750 meters though. Everybody was commenting about it. Times for all participants were slower than would be expected. But we all swam the same course.
Start type: Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:44
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:32 | 13.03 miles | 22.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/37
Overall: 27/220
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Flat loop, along the lake shore, and through some nice residential neighborhoods. Pretty flat generally, only a couple of VERY small hills, hardly worth mentioning. Took two laps of the loop. Advertised at 12.4 miles, but Garmin measured at just over 13
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:44 | 03.11 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/37
Overall: 0/220
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back course, through a grassy park (yuk), and along a dike service road (paved) along the lake. Some shade, but mostly unprotected from the sun.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-25 6:03 PM

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah
Subject: Provo Triathlon

2006-06-26 1:32 AM
in reply to: #465115

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Provo Triathlon
Great race! Looking back through the times, you beat me out of the water by nearly a minute. I spent the rest of the time slowly catching up until the beginning of the run. I think I would have been much faster had you not hit me in the back of the head

The faster run will come with time. Keep doing the bricks, and we'll start throwing in some transition workouts. You'll be kicking butt by the end of the year!
2006-06-26 10:10 AM
in reply to: #465115

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Told ya you'd beat me!  I knew as soon as you found a grove I'd be toast!  What an Excellent Race for you -- 4th in AG is AWESOME, and in a field of 32 AG'ers!   I'm glad I'm not racing against you at Echo!  But then -- I understand that the OLY is calling your name!      I say -- GO FOR IT!

2006-06-26 11:53 AM
in reply to: #465705

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah

Reply to: 

"But then -- I understand that the OLY is calling your name!      I say -- GO FOR IT!" 

Well, that's because you think a little nutty, and it's starting to rub off on me!  I just might!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Provo Triathlon Rss Feed